Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hanging a Deer

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Hanging a Deer

Hunter Specialties has a hanging system rope, pulleys, gamble for about 20 bucks. Find a stud put in big eyelet and hang your deer. One other thing, get yourself a plastic 55 gallon drum and cut it about 18 inch up from the ground, it will catch blood, ticks and deer lice when they fall off.

A couple chains and as pulley or two and a wench are all that is needed. or you could quarter out the deer and hang with ropes just about any ole place.

It is truly not that complicated. Back in the day when I was an EMT, we would use an ambulance to go pick up road killed deer. Throw em in the back and take to the Ambulance hall, hang em, skin, and quarter em right there.

At some point, the Ambulance hall Board found out and for some reason, had a major fit about us using an Ambulance to get road kill!

Best of luck,

CL

(Carbon County)

I would pop my head up into the garage crawl space and see what kind of joists are spanning the ceiling. A lot of garages have 2x4's in them. Not really a lot to hang a deer on. If you plan on cutting up the deer yourself the swing set or something more sturdy sounds like a good idea. At the WV campsite I go to I have seen all kinds of stuff. One outfit uses a swing set variation made of water pipe. A few other guys are using a set up you stick in the tow bar on the back of your truck. I use a come-along and a tree down there and a come-along in the basement (I have a walk in basement). I have used a tool shed with 2x4 joists, but I reinforced the joist I was using. I would look around for a used come-along. I and other guys I hunt with went the rope and pulley route. Not good when it gets tangled up. Last thought: If you are taking it to a butcher, why hang it? By the time you get it out of the woods, it is done draining. If it is still draining, it is too hot to hang around anyway.

(Susquehanna County)

sportsmans guide has a tripod system for about $100.00 works great have been using one for about 4 years

Put a big eye bolt in the ceiling. Maybe 3 or 4 in long and make sure you hit a rafter. Get one of those pulley gambrels. I got a cheap one and it runs the rope through three pulleys. It's like pulling about 1/3 of the weight. I can lift a 150 lb deer no problem by myself. Maybe $40
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    I would get a stud finder to locate what wood ceiling supports you have.

I would then get a piece of angle iron ( 2 X 2 X 1/4") long enough to span at least 3 or 4 ceiling supports. Drill holes into the angle for multiple 3/8" X 3" lag screws that will secure the angle to the ceiling. Drill another hole into the angle for a small shackle.

Test it for weight. If the ceiling supports sag from weight ( they shouldn't but), you can use a vertical 2 X 4 or something to prevent the whole deal from coming down. The top of any vertical support ( if needed) should also be attached to the angle iron. Not sure if you have trusses or if it's stick built.

Just one way or build a swing style structure high enough that you know it's limitations or build it to suit ( not attached to the structure).
    27 nailed it. Make sure you support the thing on as many joist you can! 150 pound deer and 2-3 meat heads pulling the fur off will break a a truss.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

I know that I little late to the thread, just want to share my invention
    I made myself alone like this model by Game pull system http://huntingfishingplus.com/best-deer-hoist/ I went with the versa button attachment method.
    I could only get about 60 feet of rope onto the spool. I used a 5 mm rope so that it was strong enough to do the trick.

In addition to resisting the deer, I also plan to use it to hang my permanent stands. I have several stands that I made from a 1-inch square tubing for permanent sets that weighed about 50 + pounds, so I plan to use this to lift them up into trees so that my hands can freely attach chains around the trees
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kstiah; October 10th, 2018 at 03:03 AM.

(Lancaster County)

I have a drop from my garage ridge beam and a pulley setup with gambrel.

So far it has worked great, just need to find a way to keep deer from spinning while I am working.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Berks County)

Man my wife would never let me hang one in the garage ha ha!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12