Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: What Level Vest will Stop a 1600fps 10mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    ^^^Im a "Civi" and i have Level IIIa vest for a family member and i have stand alone rifle plates in a carrier (for classes, SHTF, etc).

Better to have and not need is my case, plus a good amount of trainings require plates

p.s and carry a 10mm, i guess im a really rare bird...its not as uncommon caliber as many tend to think, the internet over hypes lack of availability and price, sure maybe going into your local walmart or small LGS
    I'm curious what training class "requires" plates and why?
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

I don't want a vest... not yet anyways, and you asked as if its crazy.

Yea it maybe crazy if you stay inside all day and go to your job/store, or its a normal day (normal days ftw)

it may not be so crazy when your friend lives in a project you are unfamiliar with and your white. Well I lived in the projects a long time for like 21 years and I never got anything done to me but I seen stuff happen to others, but I know alot of people in my own area.

I don't dare walk to my friends house at night time by myself especially since I don't know anyone where he lives. I went to his house a few times (he moved) but early in the morning, (and since the weather is cold nobody is outside yes yes) the one time I got my brother to drive me to his house at night time when it wasn't as cold and all I seen was a group of like 9 people yelling at each other wanting to fight (all wearing white/red) Don't know if they are in a gang or not.

Either way, I'm just saying it may seem crazy but it won't be crazy when someone comes outside and shoots you for some reason. What I am saying is that yea 99.9% of the time you will never need to wear a vest.

But what about those of us who walk into bad places? I know some one is going to say "you shouldn't go into a bad situation" yea then again one shouldn't have to stop going somewhere because of "fear" or someone else.

Or what about people who walk at night time by themselfs for some reason? I used to walk with friends to walgreens at like 1am all the time to get food when everyone is hanging out. The walgreens near me has actually been robbed a few times (like 3-4) from what I herd, strange you would think walgreens would learn their lesson and give someone a weapon/pepper spray or something.

So my opinion is that, I only see a vest being useful if you are going into bad areas for some reason. I am not saying it can't save you, I'm just saying its a hassle to always wear it, spend money every couple years for a new one, sweat to death while putting cloths over it.

Enough with my long post
    I just had to rant a bit because I'm annoyed that I have if I want to see my friend I have to walk through unfamiliar projects. Luckily when I get my handgun I won't have to worry about getting jumped walking through there
    Last edited by ICEN; December 15th, 2013 at 03:15 PM.
    There is no such thing as Dumb Control

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I think he is just curious about vests.

I doubt that a significant percentage of the population wear vests for personal (not job related) protection on a day to day basis.
    He has some other curiously interesting threads.

Quote Originally Posted by ICEN View Post
    I don't want a vest... not yet anyways, and you asked as if its crazy.

<snip>
    No one said it was crazy. Hell, I want a BAR, but I don't have the money for that. And yes, I would like a vest as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Jeff Quinn at Gunblast did a review of the Phalanx Defense Systems "Emergency" and "Tactical Responder" Body Armor.

He shot it with multiple handgun calibers, including 10mm and it stopped everything he threw at it.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    He has some other curiously interesting threads.

Hmm, I checked a few previous posts and realized that the OP can't possibly be here. After all, he previously posted

B Y E B Y E FOR FUCKING GOOD

I'm never coming back.

I'm tired of dumbasses on the forums saying useless shit.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Bullet profile and construction is key.

http://www.conjay.com/Ammunition%20f...m%20x%2019.htm

http://www.rotahall.org/photographkn...iercing-rounds

The 10mm is a fairly fat bullet and most JHPs are designed for .40 velocities. A fat TC profile bullet going fast can deform the bullet very rapidly.

(Northampton County)

A Mighty Vest should do.

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    Hmm, I checked a few previous posts and realized that the OP can't possibly be here. After all, he previously posted

B Y E B Y E FOR FUCKING GOOD

I'm never coming back.

I'm tired of dumbasses on the forums saying useless shit.
    I will never, ever tire of useless shit on the internet.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ICEN View Post
    That video is the 155g 1500fps
    The 135g 10mm is 1600fps

I don't know if it would matter but it would be nice to see if the 135g pens deeper because of the 100fps or maybe it wouldn't either way I would love to see it.

I am guessing that 10mm came close to penetrating it since it looks so messed up on the back? At least it looks like it would hurt
    Higher velocity with less weight= less penetration but more ft/lbs of energy displacement.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Higher velocity with less weight= less penetration but more ft/lbs of energy displacement.
    With the numbers in the quote, the 135 gr. round would have to travel over 1607 f/s to have more kinetic energy than the 155 gr. round. They are almost identical: 135 - 767 to 155 - 774.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

I know that the ft/lbs is almost the same, but I was under the impression that maybe speed can overcome the vest if its not rated for a certain speed.

I already know about the ft/lbs, I was just wondering if the speed alone can out penetrate the same 10mm with more ft/lbs but less fps.
    There is no such thing as Dumb Control

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast