Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Manual safety on a semi - what do you think?

I have heard a lot of shooters express disdain for manual safeties on semi automatic pistols.

What is your take? Any rationale?

I just feel safer (pun intended) with one. I know that they involve a certain amount of training and must be manipulated prior to shooting which involves and extra step.

Some people think they are a redundant measure. Not sure I agree.

Default Re: Manual safety on a semi - what do you think?

Up to the individual. I would rather not have a manual safety on my pistols.

(Northampton County)

The armored truck co. I worked for did not allow us to carry handguns with any safeties on them. I have an FNP-45 & FN 5.7 and I never use the safeties. My other guns are Glocks.
    National Handgun Reciprocity
    End Gun Free Zones
    Fast & Furious show us the documents

(Fayette County)

If you are going to carry with a round in the chamber and the hammer back on a single action pistol, you probably want to have that manual safety. If you are carrying one in the chamber on a double action with the hammer down, then maybe that safety is redundant. I generally don't carry with one in the chamber, so I don't worry about shooting myself or anything else unintentionally.

They have their place on certain handguns. Mainly SA handguns like the 1911. But I would think they are redundant and unnecessary on a gun like a Sig which is DA/SA. I personally don't find them necessary on a striker fire like a glock or an M&P. And if I was to buy an M&P (which I'm not) I wouldn't go with the safety.

There is an inherent safety to having a safety in regards to NDs. Accidents happen and no matter how many times we practice great trigger finger discipline or we chant on the internet "don't pull the trigger and it won't shoot". We are humans and we make mistakes. A manual safety can save you from that mistake when a gun without a manual safety can't.

I've had one ND and one almost one. The ND took place at the range. Thankfully I was following all the other safety rules and had the muzzle pointed in a safe direction down range. The ND happened with my 1911. I had just loaded it and wanted to practice my left handed shooting. As I transfered the gun in my hands, my left trigger finger found it's way into the trigger guard and actuated the trigger. Had I flipped the safety on before changing hands, it would have saved me. This happened on my second time out shooting by myself and has served as a reminder to me since. If you're going to have a safety, you need to use it for it to be of any use.

My almost ND took place in the car. I was trying to get my gun and the holster it was in out of the compartment I store it in when I need to leave it. It got stuck and only the gun came out instead of both. As it came out, my finger again went into the trigger guard. This time was with my p229 and the minimal amount of force my finger went in wasn't even enough to budge the heavy 10lbs DA trigger, but it scared the hell out of me. I thought I was better than to make a noob mistake like that. But I'm human and I'm capable of screwing up.

My point to all this is that while a striker gun with no safety is easier to fire when you need it, it's also easier to fire when you don't. Does that mean we should all carry without one in the chamber? No. I think a compromise is good for me. I like the added benefit of having a long DA pull or having to flick a safety off to save me from my human self. I think it is a decent compromise between safety and readiness. Whether it's the same for you is for you to decide. But don't fool yourself into thinking that you are ALWAYS aware of your actions enough to forego an ND in the future because none of us are. Some get lucky and never have one. Some just fall victim to the imperfect world we live in. But you need to decide how much risk you're willing to live with for the added readiness to deal with a self defense situation.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Mercer County)

Depends on the semi-auto platform on the double/single action/and all double action only semis I see no need for a manual safety,
    BUT
    On the Model 1911 style & their clones which I carry with one in the tube, I won't carry without a manual safety [though I will pin the grip safety]
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    Depends on the semi-auto platform on the double/single action/and all double action only semis I see no need for a manual safety,
    DAO no safety. Striker fired mixed emotions because the internal hammer is cocked or kinda half cocked when you chamber a round.
    When I went from a revolver to a pistol some decades ago it was a 1911 so I started out with a grip and thumb safety. Old habits die hard and that is what I prefer. Probably why I'm considering trading my G19 for a M&P with a thumb safety.

SAO pistols, yes.

DA/SA pistos, I am fine without a safety.

Striker fired pistols like my G19 took a little while to get used to carrying with a round in the chamber. I ended up walking around with an empty chamber for about a month until I became personally convinced it will only go off due to negligence on my part. These days I am fine carrying with a round in the chamber with that particular firearm.

(Chester County)

I am fine with a DA/SA auto having a manual safety. I am also fine with a DA/SA auto not having a manual safety, as the DA first trigger pull is a de facto safety, just like a DA revolver. Just train for whatever firearm you are using.

Dont care for safteys,not ever.I practice gun saftey in every handling of guns,just one less thing to think about in a stress shoot,seconds count ! JMO/MDT Please those who advocate safteys,dont jump all over me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast