Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: HK USP 9?

(Centre County)

Default HK USP 9?

So what's people's opinion on them?

I don't have any standard capacity polymer framed 9mm for some time now.
    Debating between Gen4 G17, and Sig P229 Scorpion.
    I have Gen4 G22, and frame size is exactly the same as G17. So I know exactly how they are. I sort don't want 2 same guns(eventho caliber isn't, it look identical).
    I have sort of love/hate relation with Sig.
    I have had P226 Combat, P220, and P6(back when you can get one for like $275), and as nice as they are - P226Combat was just a great gun -, none of them never really fits my hand. They are just too side.
    But I love the quality, and its accurate weapon.

I have never owned any H&K products. I imagine its quality is right up there.
    And grip actually feels a lot more thinner than Sig. Its lighter than Sig.
    But its more complicated then Sig. I hate the proprietary rail idea, and mags are not cheap.
    One I found do not come with night sight(I believe its Variant 2). But they are cheap enough.
    I guess with use of Adaptor, I can use my lights(TLR1).
    Last edited by Mity2; December 14th, 2013 at 09:53 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Default Re: HK USP 9?

I have two in 40 (tactical and compact). They sit in the safe. Replaced by blocks and m&ps. Signs have never done much for me and aren't as nice as the USPs.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

I think you know my position on the USP. It is an expensive handgun, but it is also a great handgun. My USP is a variant 1 Elite in .45. It is the only polymer handgun I can get to point like a 1911 out of my hands, though the HK 45 and the P30 are very close. One thing I will say about the HK USP in 9mm is it is the absolute best production polymer I've ever shot rapid firing. It stays on target and you can really get your fingers up high and tight together, which helps in keeping control. Also, the grip is, IMO, only too big for the smallest of hands when shooting single handed. If you don't like the finger grooves of the P30, the USP is a great trade off. The only drawback is that goofy rail and the price, but like you say...you can use whatever adapter you're talking about. At $250 more than a G17, again, it's a little pricey, but the way the thing rapid fires is worth it to me.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Midway has 15 rd HK mags for the USP 9 for $33. Not cheap but not terrible. My good 1911 mags cost me that much, each. There is a 30 rd HK USP mag out there, now, for right at $150 (ouch).

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I think you know my position on the USP. It is an expensive handgun, but it is also a great handgun. My USP is a variant 1 Elite in .45. It is the only polymer handgun I can get to point like a 1911 out of my hands, though the HK 45 and the P30 are very close. One thing I will say about the HK USP in 9mm is it is the absolute best production polymer I've ever shot rapid firing. It stays on target and you can really get your fingers up high and tight together, which helps in keeping control. Also, the grip is, IMO, only too big for the smallest of hands when shooting single handed. If you don't like the finger grooves of the P30, the USP is a great trade off. The only drawback is that goofy rail and the price, but like you say...you can use whatever adapter you're talking about. At $250 more than a G17, again, it's a little pricey, but the way the thing rapid fires is worth it to me.
    I've shot HK45Compact before, and was amazed how accurate it was.
    I just think HK are UGRY in general, other than USP.
    I guess they have some sort of proprietary recoil reduction system?

And your correct. They are expensive, and $250 will buy a lot of ammo, night sight, and so on.

I'll likely not going to carry it. I figure it'll be range and bedside gun.
    But who knows? I've know to carry my G22 and full size 1911 now and then

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    It's the lack of quality real estate for my left thumb. I can't get the same amount of leverage on the frame as I can a block or m&p...plus I'm a striker fired fan.

I just don't like putting my thumb on the slide release.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    It's the lack of quality real estate for my left thumb.

I just don't like putting my thumb on the slide release.
    Yea, that's kind of a draw back, as well. I thought about that when I first looked at one, but the last knuckle of my thumb fits perfectly just past the SS pad so all I have touching is the side of my thumb on the SS pin. Ya definitely have to have the right sized thumb and knuckle length for it to work. That part of my thumb hits darn near the same spot on a 1911, as well.

As much as some people dislike the Taurus line, the 24/7 series pistols have just about the best ergoes going for this with a memory pad for your thumb on each side of the frame that is actually in the right place and works with long and short thumbs. You'd think HK would have something similar, but the slide stop, being 'bout big enough to jack up a car, is right in the way.

(Centre County)

LOL I actually thought that floor jack lever that H&K calls slide release is a good thing, because I can actually reach it without breaking my grip(again, I got smaller hand).

I personally more concerned about the mag release that is vastly differs then one that Im used to

I've shot my buddies USP40 a few times, nice pistol, but didn't make me want to run out and buy one. I didn't really think it was any nicer than my Sigs. Sigs fit me well, if they don't work for you, and the USP does, then I say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    LOL I actually thought that floor jack lever that H&K calls slide release is a good thing, because I can actually reach it without breaking my grip(again, I got smaller hand).

I personally more concerned about the mag release that is vastly differs then one that Im used to
    You'd get used to it fairly quickly. My USP is the only non 1911 I ever shoot, anymore, and I get right to it, every time. It works well and releases strong. Takes very little grip change, as well.

One good thing about that jack handle slide stop is it is hard to bump it because of the way it is set up. I've tried to bump mine by accident and can't do it...while shooting, that is.