Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Huntingdon County)

Default AR-15 Pistol Build

Hello all,

I'm looking at building an AR15 pistol. I know how lowers work (not a rifle or pistol until built) - however, I have a question regarding the PA State Police.

If I intend on building an AR15 pistol, what steps do I have to take to avoid running afoul of the PSP? When I purchased the "firearm" - it was neither a pistol nor a rifle. I "build" it into one or the other. Since Pennsylvania has a registry of all handguns, how do I go about building an AR15 pistol? Can I legally build a pistol and have it not be in the D/B?

Thanks!
    J-Pat

(York County)

Default Re: AR-15 Pistol Build

I asked this same question of John, the owner of Hake's Sporting goods in Wrightsville. He told me that the way that it would have to be done, is as follows,

If the lower was registered as a handgun when purchased, nothing further needs to be done, if not ,I would need to bring the lower or complete pistol to the shop as if I were going to sell it on consignment, a wait of 7 days (why I am not sure, but I think that was what ATF/PSP stated to him) then I come back and get it and when doing the background/PICS check, the handgun form would also be done, thus registering it as a handgun per PSP requirements

there is no need to "register" it, yes you can build one without it being in the SALES database. there are plenty legal pistols that arent in the db.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by sincitynut View Post
    I asked this same question of John, the owner of Hake's Sporting goods in Wrightsville. He told me that the way that it would have to be done, is as follows,

If the lower was registered as a handgun when purchased, nothing further needs to be done, if not ,I would need to bring the lower or complete pistol to the shop as if I were going to sell it on consignment, a wait of 7 days (why I am not sure, but I think that was what ATF/PSP stated to him) then I come back and get it and when doing the background/PICS check, the handgun form would also be done, thus registering it as a handgun per PSP requirements

This is false.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Franklin County)

It only needs to be transfered at an FFL if you sell it after it is assembled as a pistol. As long as it was done as an "other" you're good to go either way legally from here.