Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Good Pistol and Rifle range in Berks?

Hi all,

New shooter here and also new to PA. I wanted to say hello and ask a question or two.

I’m looking for a good range and I’ve been reading as many threads as possible trying to sort out the info. But to be honest my head is spinning with the different choices. Seems like some local places are primary social, others are mostly trap, others might look down on AR’s / AK’s. Let me tell you about me and maybe you can offer me an opinion?

I’d love to find a range with an active and well maintained pistol, and short / long rifle range (shooting a walther 9mm, ruger 10/22 and a saiga 7.62x39). Archery a plus, but not necessary. I have a wife and two young children, but I’m primarily looking for a place to shoot. I’m not afraid of volunteering for a little work at the range and would be happy to pay a little bit higher membership fee for a nice place (but cheap is good too!). Like I said, I’m a new shooter so if it’s an active club with training courses or something similar that’s a big plus (but not necessary). I try to leave politics at the door. Also, at times I can switch my work schedule around and shoot weekday mornings. So, if I can access the range let’s say 9:30am to noon every now and again, that would be great.

I live in Reading, right outside Shillington. I was considering Mohnton Fish and Game, Green Hills Sportsmen, Topton Fish and Game, or Neversink Gun club. But I’m open to any place really. Currently shooting my 9mm at French Creek Outfitters.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

John

(Berks County)

Default Re: Good Pistol and Rifle range in Berks?

I live in Sinking Spring and belong to 2.

Muhlenberg Area Shooting Association. $15, tons of pistol lanes (not really a good place to shoot rifle), and closings for LEO are minimal. No clubhouse or politics. Can't beat the price. Also has archery there as well.

Lebanon Valley Sportsmens Association (Wernersville). I think $50 to start and $35 a year after. Pistol has I think 6 lanes. Rifle has 8 lanes, 25,50,100 yards. Has skeet and bow as well as restocking local trout. Clubhouse. I shoot there the most.

Just my 2 cents.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    I live in Sinking Spring and belong to 2.

Muhlenberg Area Shooting Association. $15, tons of pistol lanes (not really a good place to shoot rifle), and closings for LEO are minimal. No clubhouse or politics. Can't beat the price. Also has archery there as well.
    I must disagree with that part. I live not far from there and they do close it many times (though during the day time) for LEOs in the summer months. I like to go shooting in the mornings when I am night shift, ergo it does affect me.

Oley Valley is also a nice range, but the rifle range is closed mondays and tuesdays (again day times) for grass cutting duties...

And welcome to the site.

ETA Masa does not update their online info so many times I go there in the mornings and they are closed due to LEO practice.

(Berks County)

MASA has a yahoo mailing list that provides updates. I agree there are some closings, but for $15 you can't beat it.

If there are 365 days in a year, and it is closed 50 of them, that's still a bargain.

(Berks County)

What is the address of the range itself? Thanks

(Berks County)

I'm a member at Topton FGA & it's a nice club. There's 200 yard, 100 yard & 75/50/25 for rifle, 5 or 6 separate pistol areas & an active archery membership - indoor & 3D. They have SASS cowboy & muzzleloader shoots, steel, trap, Glock matches & 3 gun / USPSA type events. There is a gate with a code to the main range areas & it's never crowded when I go there during the week (I can't ever make the weekends, but I assume there's more traffic then).

I'm also the webmaster http://www.toptonfga.org - the current site is not my design but the info is still good. I'm building a more 'modern' one that should hopefully be active for the new year.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    What is the address of the range itself? Thanks
    I don't have an exact numerical address but it is at the end of Sofianos Lane where the road takes a 90 degree and becomes Lowrie Street.

You can see the entrance gate there but will not see the range. Not hard to find from Rt61. (use google maps or something like it.)

Membership must be through Muhlenberg Township Shooting Assn:

http://www.muhlshooting.org/

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    MASA has a yahoo mailing list that provides updates. I agree there are some closings, but for $15 you can't beat it.

If there are 365 days in a year, and it is closed 50 of them, that's still a bargain.
    My dues are only $10 (Muhl Twp resident) but I still reserve the right to bitch when I have to drive 30 minutes to Oley when MASA is in use - (4 minutes from my house)

I am a grumpy old man - so there!!!

(Berks County)

Thanks, great advice.

I noticed you have to 'qualify' at some ranges. What does that mean? I can safety check a gun, and shoot properly. But I wouldn't say I'm a great shot yet.

Also, Lebanon Valley says no automatics. Obviously no fully auto, but does it also mean you can't shoot a semiauto rifle?

Unrulychef- I checked out the webpage and Topton looks great. It's a little far from me, 45 min, but might be worth it. Application looks simple. Do you happen to know how long it takes to join? I think I've read some clubs can take 1-2 months before you get your card.

(Berks County)

Semi-auto is fine.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast