Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Good Pistol and Rifle range in Berks?

Heidelberg Sportsmen Association is not all that far from you but not in Berks county. It's actually located in Schaefferstown. GPS address is 20 sportsman lane, Newmanstown Pa.

They are a shooting club and host several training courses throughout the year. They have trap shoots, multi gun/3 gun shoots, cowboy action, rim fire challenges and big bore shoots monthly throughout the year.

They have a nice rifle range consisting of 25, 50, 75, 100 and 200 yard ranges. There is also a nice pistol range with plenty of bench space and targets can be placed at multiple distances from a few feet to about 25 yards. Pistol can also be fired on the rifle ranges. There is also a shotgun pattern area, as well as an archery area.

You can check the website out at http://www.heidelbergsportsmensassociation.org/ also most Sunday's you can find several of us there shooting and would be more than happy to show you around and answer any questions you may have.

Just an FYI Sunday January 22 there will be a breakfast at the club for anyone. The cook can get cranky but he sure can cook!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rotter View Post
    Unrulychef- I checked out the webpage and Topton looks great. It's a little far from me, 45 min, but might be worth it. Application looks simple. Do you happen to know how long it takes to join? I think I've read some clubs can take 1-2 months before you get your card.
    Hi, yes they do have a "waiting period" where your name has to be read & voted on at the meetings - 2 meetings so it takes 2 months. It's a hassle for sure & I've never heard of anyone not getting voted in. I guess it's to keep people from joining on a lark to use the range once & not taking care of the place? Maybe it's just a hold over from the old days.

Thanks,
    Jay

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tripleS View Post
    Heidelberg Sportsmen Association is not all that far from you but not in Berks county. It's actually located in Schaefferstown. GPS address is 20 sportsman lane, Newmanstown Pa.

They are a shooting club and host several training courses throughout the year. They have trap shoots, multi gun/3 gun shoots, cowboy action, rim fire challenges and big bore shoots monthly throughout the year.

They have a nice rifle range consisting of 25, 50, 75, 100 and 200 yard ranges. There is also a nice pistol range with plenty of bench space and targets can be placed at multiple distances from a few feet to about 25 yards. Pistol can also be fired on the rifle ranges. There is also a shotgun pattern area, as well as an archery area.

You can check the website out at http://www.heidelbergsportsmensassociation.org/ also most Sunday's you can find several of us there shooting and would be more than happy to show you around and answer any questions you may have.

Just an FYI Sunday January 22 there will be a breakfast at the club for anyone. The cook can get cranky but he sure can cook!
    This could work! I actually pass by that area on 222 pretty often. I checked out the website and it looks like a great place -the tactical shoots sound awesome. Training options seem plentiful too. You think the best way to check out the place and get an application is to stop by on a saturday or sunday? Wasn't sure if many people are shooting in this weather.

(Berks County)

Sunday's, we are almost always there on the pistol range! There is not much weather that will stop us from shooting! We generally get there around noon.

I do know for sure there will be several people there this Sunday for the breakfast and shooting afterwards. This is also a good time to get your application in, the monthly meeting is rescheduled to the 30th due to the holiday. You application should be presented and voted on at that time.

(Berks County)

Any updates?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Chester County)

Chef - on the Topton pistol ranges are you limited to paper targets only, or can you set up other types of targets, such as clay birds in holders, duraseal spinners, or steel spinners/gongs? Thanks!

(Berks County)

Rotter with as close as you are join mohnton fish and game and another club. Mohnton has equall parts club house and gun ranges. Some complane because they focus on hunting and trap, they do have bullseye and archery. The thing is its right there. I belong since I was 21 and have gone there all my life. Dad and grandfather were members, pop got his life a few years ago ( they give it to you for age and number of years membership ). Lower prov rod and gun is my other club. Fantastic place. Lots of participation in all things gun. Not in berks.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by octocog View Post
    Chef - on the Topton pistol ranges are you limited to paper targets only, or can you set up other types of targets, such as clay birds in holders, duraseal spinners, or steel spinners/gongs? Thanks!
    Hi, no steel except for official matches/events - because of liability, but people do set up clays & those plastic self-healing targets. There's usually shotgun shells sitting around & sometimes I'll set them up in a row if I get tired of paper. There's always clays to be found out in the trap field where people missed & didn't go scrounging, but I'm always too lazy to go collecting. They don't want anything like glass or metal cans shot up there - old tvs etc.

(Berks County)

I like Mohnton Fish and Game. Nice people good ranges. Always open. They have Rifle ranges for 100/75/50 yrds, Pistol for 25 and 50 (Not sure who uses and is accurate at 50 yrds with a pistol! other than those single shot hunting handguns!) and they are planning a new defensive pistol range this spring. Trap shoots and Archery along with a walk thru archery range and elevated stands to practice shooting from a treestand. They even have air rifle ranges which are great for taking kids and introducing them to the sport. It sounds like you are very close to this club so I would recommend checking it out.

(Berks County)

I may have to take a look at that as well.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast