Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Gun Review: Bushmaster M4A1 Type Carbine

The Bushmaster XM15E2S-A1 is the evil black rifle in it's simplest form. It is styled after the military's M4 rifle but with a barrel slightly longer to make it legal for the general public to own. The barrel features the M203 grenade launcher cutout and measures 14.5 inches with a 1-1/2 inch Phantom II flash hider permanently attached to meet the 16 inch barrel length requirement. The A1 designation indicates a non-removable carry handle with the original M16 style dual aperture peep sights. Another common A1 feature is the tear drop shaped forward assist plunger located just behind the brass deflector. This rifle also features a chrome lined barrel and chamber as well as the M4 type feed ramps for improved chamber loading.

Features:
    Fixed A1 Carry handle
    Chrome Lined M203 Profile Barrel
    M4 Feed Ramps
    Phantom II Flash Hider
    Bayonet Lug
    6 Position Collapsible Stock
    A1 Dual aperture Peep Sights

I originally bought this rifle before I knew much about the AR platform. After some research, I was pleasantly surprised to find that this rifle had most of the features I wanted and that were recommended by other AR aficionado's. This rifle was purchased in my late Grandfather's name from inheritance money left to me. It replaced several hunting rifles that were lost during the closing of the estate. I had always liked the look of the vintage or retro M16's and CAR15's from the Vietnam Era and this rifle fit the bill perfectly for me! I may add a red dot style optic in a co-witness setup at some point, but overall, it will remain as is. It came from the factory with one steel 30 round magazine, but I prefer to use aftermarket Magpul Pmag's (as pictured).

Specifications:
    Configuration: M4A1 Type Carbine
    Caliber: 5.56mm or .223 Rem.
    Finish: Manganese Phosphate
    Magazine Capacity: 30 Rounds (accepts all M16 type)
    Overall Length: 34.75”
    Length - Stock Retracted: 30.5"
    Barrel Length: 16" (Including Flash Hider)
    Rifling:1 turn in 9” R.H. Twist / 6 grooves & lands
    Weight w/o magazine: 6.35 lbs.
    Weight of empty magazine: .25 lbs.
    Weight of loaded magazine: 1.0 lbs.
    Mode of Operation: Gas Operated Semi Automatic
    Muzzle Velocity: M193 - 55 grain @ 3130 ft./sec.
    M855/SS109/C77 62 grain @ 2990 ft./sec.
    Muzzle Energy: M193 - 55 grain 1200 ft.lbs.
    M855/SS109/C77 - 62 grain 1230 ft.lbs.

Fit and overall appearance is great! It does have the common Bushmaster splotches in the finish under the carry handle but they are not noticeable when the gun is clean and lightly oiled. The rifle assembles tight and has very little rattle or movement between the lower and upper. The castle nut was not staked when I received it, but that shouldn't be a hindrance especially if you plan on adding a side mount sling adapter or a different stock at some point. The milspec manganese phosphate coating provides an attractive and very durable finish to the barrel and front site. The only disappointing feature of this rifle is the rough appearance of the front site base. It appears to have been cast and not prepared properly before the coating was added. But overall, I am throughly impressed with the look and feel of this rifle. In the true fashion of Black Rifle disease, I would like to add an A3 flat top to my collection someday, but until then, I am completely happy with this rifle!

I found the XM15 extremely accurate right out of the box. With only a slight adjustment to the windage knob, I was picking soda cans off 1 by 1 at about 50-75 feet. I could also land some decent groups on paper at about 50 yards. My old eyes wont permit much more distance accurately until I add an optic, but at close range with iron sights, it is an accurate and consistent shooter. I've run mostly Winchester White box 55 grain ammo through it and I've also tried a significant amount of Wolf 55 grain without any problems. I prefer the Winchester mainly because it's a bit less dirtier than the wolf! Cleaning the AR can sometimes be quite an ordeal!

One of the best features of the AR rifle platform is the availability of aftermarket parts as well as the uniformed manufacturing of components from different companies that allows for cross application. No matter what brand of AR you decide on or what type of configuration you choose...be sure to give the Bushmaster a try! It is a very solid gun and and be had for a reasonable price.

Thanks for reading my review and I hope you enjoyed it!

Review and photography by:
    RocketFoot

Sources: Bushmaster Website, AR15Armory.com
    Last edited by RocketFoot; May 19th, 2008 at 12:17 PM.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

Default Re: Gun Review: Bushmaster M4A1 Type Carbine

Very nice EBR you have there Rocket. I got to finally shoot a friend's M4A3, and I think that is the direction I'd like to go when I finally do my build...but maybe I'll just be buying one instead, we'll see.

His was a Bushmaster as well, and I was really impressed with how it felt and shot. They seem like outstanding guns.

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks!

1 day I'd like to get an A3 also, but I'm happy with this one for now! I won't limit myself to just Bushy though. I also like RRA, Stag and I'd love to have a Colt! But the Bushy's are real solid shooters! I certainly wouldn't turn another one down!

(Delaware County)

Don't rule out LMT when shopping.

http://www.lewismachine.net/catalog.php

I am extremely happy with their products.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by reels18 View Post
    Don't rule out LMT when shopping.

http://www.lewismachine.net/catalog.php

I am extremely happy with their products.
    Agreed, LMT makes a very good rifle also! (And components...)

(Luzerne County)

That is the exact rifle my department just bought. I qualified my department on them this week. Shot great, no malfunctions. The ammo was 62gr FMJ. We now have one in each vehicle (3).

(Franklin County)

Nice Bushmaster, I have one EXACTLY like it.

If you do nothing else to that gun, at least get a RRA 2-stage trigger. You'll be glad you did.