Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Repeal tax on suppressors and encourage their use on shooting ranges.

Promote use of tax-free suppressors.

Google "shooting range noise".

.. ....... ..

LAYTON - Complaints about noise coming from a new shooting range in the city have prompted local leaders to consider whether the noise ordinance needs to be amended to properly deal with the issue.

"We hear every single shot they make," Jamie Prather-Newton said of Red Dot, a shooting range on Gordon Avenue across from Sam's Club. Prather-Newton is asking city council members to update the city's noise ordinance.

http://www.standard.net/stories/2013...causes-concern

...... ...

With half the sound testing completed, officials say they’re cautiously optimistic Cowlitz County’s gun range will pass the noise standards required to open.
    http://tdn.com/news/local/so-far-so-...9bb2963f4.html

....... ....

Gun range responds to noise, safety complaints from neighbors.
    http://www.wsmv.com/story/23494338/g...from-neighbors

..... ..... ..........

Gun rights advocates, law enforcement groups and some residents near shooting ranges are keeping close watch on a bill to protect existing sport shooting ranges from noise complaints.

The bill before state lawmakers would prevent residents near shooting ranges such as the Vancouver Trap and Gun Club and the English Pit Shooting Range from filing nuisance lawsuits against the ranges.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2012/f...ooting-ranges/

....... ... ..................

CRAIG COUNTY – A nearby resident’s complaint to a Craig County Board of Supervisors’ member about noise from a shooting range on National Forest land has riled up local gun enthusiasts.
    http://ourvalley.org/shooting-range-...ecome-targets/

.. ............ ....... ...............

How about repealing the $200 tax on suppressors and eliminating other legal restrictions, and encourage (not mandate) their use on/in shooting ranges. Seems there are arguments for it that might appeal to just about everyone -- a win-win all the way around.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Repeal tax on suppressors and encourage their use on shooting ranges.

Greetings,

I'm not familiar with those specific clubs, but an additional consideration is those clubs that have been around for many years, some 50+, long before any housing was located near them. The "new" neighbors then complain about the noise, the farm smells, etc.. Why did they move there in the first place?

To the larger issue of NFA exempt suppressors, I'm all for it. Guess it would take an act of congress to amend the NFA and I'm sure the well funded usual suspects would be screaming (gee who needs to be suppressed here?) about how it would aid criminals, etc.. I'm sure the atf would be quite unhappy to lose any area of regulation that keep their budget up and these dangerous devices off our streets.

Wonder what congresscritters have the stones to introduce legislation to these ends? Can we poll our individual reps and get any idea if there would be support for it?

As I'm sure many of you are aware, in some of the most gun restrictive Euro countries, suppressors are NOT regulated and almost mandatory for range use. Makes perfect sense to me.

Regards, Jim

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Repeal tax on suppressors and encourage their use on shooting ranges.

I personally am not familiar with the background as to why there's a $200 tax on suppressors in the first place or why they're otherwise illegal without that payment. They can keep the related NFA regs (for now), just eliminate the tax.

You can make a suppressor in an hour for what, $10 maybe, but your result is illegal unless you shell over $200 to the ATF? Ridiculous. Mobster.

Any honest representative would view favorably eliminating that usury tax except that such a position would be leveraged as negative political propaganda by the ilk of Biden and Schumer.

(Allegheny County)

From another PAFOA forum:
    Quote Originally Posted by forceinPA View Post
    It has been confirmed, that the ATF is now looking at 12-14 MONTH approval Times for FORM 4's and Dealer to Dealer transfers are at 3-4 months. If your NFA Shop says anything different it's incorrect. I have had a few people in my shop asking this question, and I wanted to get correct info for them. No Need to BITCH about the ATF, GOV, Ect. We all know they suck, and with Mini Hitler in the WH nothing will improve.

Kirk J. Force Gun Shop

(Venango County)

I have been saying that for years.

In many countries, it is encouraged, or even required to use a suppressor.
    I wouldn't mind being able to do shooting without having to wear big bulky ears, or those little foam "ear suppositories". And I don't have the money for the fancy electronic ones.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsyHowl View Post
    I personally am not familiar with the background as to why there's a $200 tax on suppressors in the first place or why they're otherwise illegal without that payment.
    The NFA was designed to downgrade the firearms availability to the general population in order to give the government an advantage to stave off a revolt against FDR's policies in the Depression. Price and supply controls on food was making people starve and various taxes and regulations were sustaining prolonged unemployment. DC knew that sooner or later the people would have enough of it, so they basically made illegal for the average person to have stuff that would be readily available and effective to fight back against the US military. Nobody could afford the tax ($200 was around $5000 back then, paired with high unemployment and lower overall pay scale and cost of living) and nobody was used to filling out forms or dealing with laws at that time.

Handguns were going to be listed on it too but they couldn't get the votes to get that to pass. They listed short barreled rifles and short barreled shotguns b/c that would be an easy substitute for pistols but didn't remove them once pistols were struck from the NFA, and also SBR's are very handy and effective against armed groups hence why they are common for military and police.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; December 12th, 2013 at 07:27 PM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsyHowl View Post
    How about repealing the $200 tax on suppressors and eliminating other legal restrictions, and encourage (not mandate) their use on/in shooting ranges. Seems there are arguments for it that might appeal to just about everyone -- a win-win all the way around.
    The problem is you're assuming that the people bitching about the noise don't just want the range gone period, I can promise you that even if suppressors were OK'd those same people would be bitching about "rounds flying over their house" or some sort of other BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I have been saying that for years.

In many countries, it is encouraged, or even required to use a suppressor.
    I wouldn't mind being able to do shooting without having to wear big bulky ears, or those little foam "ear suppositories". And I don't have the money for the fancy electronic ones.
    Safety is encouraged in this nation to the point where we are becoming a nation of wimps. Everything relates to improving health.....yet why is something which would obviously improve the health of shooters not be embraced?

I know, I know, its about govt control but had to ask it anyway.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    The NFA was designed to downgrade the firearms availability to the general population in order to give the government an advantage to stave off a revolt against FDR's policies in the Depression.
    The Treasury Department also wanted to employ laid off Bureau of Prohibition agents. Prohibition was coming to an end at the time.

Didn't work out too well... there wasn't enough gun crime to be worth it. AG Cummings was a shameless demagogue, crying about "criminals armed with machineguns prowling the land".

There wasn't that much crime with machineguns.... they were expensive and consumed too much ammo.

(Westmoreland County)

We should make suppressors easier to obtain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast