Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Range Report on S&W .380 Bodyguard

Having finally shot my new S&W .380 BG here are some critiques in bullet format:

* The recoil was unexpectedly pleasant. No thumb pain or hand discomfort.

*The slide racked easily. I don't think my wife would have problems with it. It compared favorably to the amount of effort needed to open my Walther PPS. This is NOT going to be a problem.

* The gun was fairly accurate off hand to about 15 yards. (pie plate center-ish)

* The gun had no operational problems feeding and ejecting well.

* The trigger (disconcerting until you get used to it) has a lot of travel and engages in the last 5% of motion. (a safety feature I am sure)

* take down was easy, reassembly moderate - the take down lever wants to be exactly so to go back in. It took a while.

* The fit and finish of the gun is great. The material used and finishing are top notch. I couldn't be more pleased in this area.

* The gun come in a great nylon pouch with a separate pocket to hold a (not included) extra magazine. Yes, I'll need to find one. An extra SHOULD be standard.

* S&W has included some direct numbers to call for service and help with this particular model - a nice touch.

* While I played with the laser I did not check it for accuracy. I don't really think I'll use it much.

* Got a cheap $9.75 pocket holster at Wallyworld. Keeps the gun upright, eliminates printing, and is a good idea. A better one might enhance the experience. I'll think about an Uncle Mike's or something.

All I can say at this point is that I am glad I bought the gun. As I said before I would have picked up a Ruger LCP but this S&W has a manual safety that I like.
    Last edited by Hokkmike; December 13th, 2013 at 08:35 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Range Report on S&W .380 Bodyguard

If you use a thumbs forward grip, you’ll find it’s very easy to engage the laser with your left thumb. I shoot at least 25rds a week from my BG and activating the laser has become second nature. Also, the trigger will smooth out and lighten over time which will help improve accuracy. Was at the range with mine on Saturday and people could not believe the groups I was getting out of that gun at 10 yards.

I had the LCP and found it would bite my finger after a few rounds. I can shoot the BG all day long. Also, the sights are actually usable on the BG vs. the Ruger. The Ruger is nice, but I found the BG fit my larger hands better. It shoots like a gun that's bigger than its size.
    Last edited by OperatorX; December 17th, 2013 at 02:22 PM.

(Berks County)

I agree with you both. Have one and like it. The size is perfect for CC.

(Columbia County)

Do you guys carry the BG as a primary carry piece? I have a BG and I'm thinking of getting a Shield 9mm or a Glock 26 as a primary. I love the size of the BG but not the .380

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by deth-jeep View Post
    Do you guys carry the BG as a primary carry piece?
    In my case, yeah, usually.