Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Good place to shoot?

Hello everyone I'm coming to you from the Southampton, area near Warminster.
    I have been shooting at ranges my entire life, I know the safety rules and how to handle a firearm properly.
    However being in a tough financial time the range fees have just come to a lot for me and my family.
    So i was looking for a place to shoot and train with my rifles without having to pay the range fee and not having to wait 30 minutes after i shoot a group to walk down and change my target (referring to wicens here, nothing wrong with it just too many people and too long of a wait), I have hear that public ranges used to only require a hunting license (which i have) but they recently changed,(I think the closest one is in Lehigh.)
    I have also hear that you can target shoot on SGL? but it was sort of up in the air, I don't mind having to drive an hour to get to the range. I just want to be able to move and shoot and just have a bit more freedom (any place that does competition shooting?)
    I have hear of gun clubs but i work 13 hour days 6 days a week and most require "working hours"
    Thanks everyone and please keep this thread on track nothing like "oh, you should practice safety at regular ranges there is no need to move" or "just get yourself a spotting scope"
    Thanks again and have a great one!!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Good place to shoot?

I here all your points. I'm in Chalfont and drive up to Jim Thorpe to the public range there. Its 30 $ a year , and on cold days sometimes I only see one or 2 other guys. Now the price of gas ain't cheap , But w/3 little kids under 8 I enjoy the quiet drive up early on a Sat. morning.

(Montgomery County)

There are not that many options.
    SGL ranges. Far away and dangerous.
    Private ranges. Expensive and apparently crowded (of course, anything can be crowded at any given moment.
    Gun clubs. Probably offer a lot of what you want. Yes, you need to contribute time to them. Don't make that the sole reason to cross them off your list. A lot of clubs close for one morning a month for work parties. Check with the club, they may have alternatives available for people that can't make that day. My club, for instance, needs staff help before during and after it's competitive shoot events. Many people do that for their annual 4 hours.

The work party is not just about getting stuff done (although the club could not exist without volunteers). It is also about building a connection with the club, building a pride of ownership kind of thing. Plus you get to know a lot of the other members.

I suggest you check with the clubs near you and see if they have alternatives that fit your schedule. Ask questions about specific clubs here. I bet there are members of every club in pa represented on PAFOA. Most of us love to talk up our clubs.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by virus22x View Post
    Hello everyone I'm coming to you from the Southampton, area near Warminster.
    I have been shooting at ranges my entire life, I know the safety rules and how to handle a firearm properly.
    However being in a tough financial time the range fees have just come to a lot for me and my family.
    So i was looking for a place to shoot and train with my rifles without having to pay the range fee and not having to wait 30 minutes after i shoot a group to walk down and change my target (referring to wicens here, nothing wrong with it just too many people and too long of a wait), I have hear that public ranges used to only require a hunting license (which i have) but they recently changed,(I think the closest one is in Lehigh.)
    I have also hear that you can target shoot on SGL? but it was sort of up in the air, I don't mind having to drive an hour to get to the range. I just want to be able to move and shoot and just have a bit more freedom (any place that does competition shooting?)
    I have hear of gun clubs but i work 13 hour days 6 days a week and most require "working hours"
    Thanks everyone and please keep this thread on track nothing like "oh, you should practice safety at regular ranges there is no need to move" or "just get yourself a spotting scope"
    Thanks again and have a great one!!
    Yah these bad economic times is putting a damper on everybody's budget.
    I would suggest getting the hunting license so you can use the SGL ranges, the only drawback is that the you are only limited to one guest and they are usually crowded on weekends which is the time that you shoot, but give it a shot pun intended.

(Cumberland County)

It would be quite a drive for you but it's easily one of the best clubs on this side of the state, even if their website looks like crap.

http://www.westshoresportsmen.org/
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to try to see if I can make it up to SGL 43's range on Sunday. It's and hour drive for me but I'm going to see if I like the range enough to make it worth that hour drive enough in the future.
    Thanks again guys, and I'll keep you updated.

(Montgomery County)

Check out the Bucks County Fish and Game Association. www.bcfg.org

It's in Doylestown and is a really nice place for a reasonable cost. They also have family rates for membership. Ranges consist of a 75yd lane, multiple 100, 50, and 25 yard lanes, and many pistol lanes. The cease fire times are usually pretty quick. No, you can't run and gun, but I do enjoy being a member there.

Hours are 10am to sunset every day except sunday being 11am to sunset. Trap happens every Tuesday and Saturday as well and you don't even have to be a member, just pay per round.
    Last edited by jthrelf; December 13th, 2013 at 02:15 PM.

(Bucks County)

As a side note, I have sent membership request info to a couple of gun clubs in my immediate area and as off this date I have not received any info or reply. One in recent memory is Ridge and Valley. I sent email about info on how to join about 3 months ago , and I have NOT received anything. I do realize that I only have to offer is my monthly dues and a willingness to join and help and work to keep a club clean and safe. But what I have found is the way to get into a good gun club is to find a member and ass kiss , be a big blowhard, or buy your way in. Unfortunately I prob. will never be able to join a gun club in Bucks County area. I love shooting, helping others and general friendship, most clubs just want big time show offs with LOOK AT ME GUNS and CARS. I guess to end this rant is , why can't clubs respond to mem. requests? I understand member limits and waiting lists, but not answering request on your own club website after 3 months?

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by HRearden View Post
    I here all your points. I'm in Chalfont and drive up to Jim Thorpe to the public range there. Its 30 $ a year , and on cold days sometimes I only see one or 2 other guys. Now the price of gas ain't cheap , But w/3 little kids under 8 I enjoy the quiet drive up early on a Sat. morning.
    If you mean the state game lands on RT 93 I go there all the time. the rules kinda suck, but you cant find a better free range for zeroing from 25 yards to 300 yards. Peoples attitude is fair, but you get the random moron with little to no experience with a firearm. Overall I give it 7 out of 10.