Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default What am I doing wrong? 3 failed deer seasons...

I have been hunting SGL 157 and 139 for three years and have yet to see a deer in-season. I have scouted multiple areas and found plenty of sign, and have seen plenty of deer during the small game season.

However, every year I get goose eggs when deer hunting.

This year I have stepped up the effort significantly. I put a stand right on a main trail where I spotted a solid 6 pt earlier this year. I was just out this afternoon and there are fresh tracks in the snow right along the trail, which means there have been deer through there last night or in the morning.

In the beginning of buck season I hunted 3B and saw a few doe, one that I jumped in the morning on my way to the stand. Even with crunchy snow I was able to circle around and get a "shot" lined up (antlerless wasn't open, nor did i have tags), so it would seem that I am capable of being quiet enough. I am using scentless laundry soap and a cover scent spray. Obviously state game lands have huge pressure on them, and I have not been to 157 this season as it was completely overrun with hunter last season and 139 seems to be overlooked. I did see a gut pile earlier this week fairly close to my stand, so deer CAN be found/taken in the area. It's not like I expect to march into the woods and land a monster buck, but after 3 seasons I haven't seen a SINGLE legal deer, buck or doe, during the appropriate season. I have 5C doe tags and have no preference on what kind of deer I take, just looking for meat in the freezer.

Is there something I am missing here???

Default Re: What am I doing wrong? 3 failed deer seasons...

It took me five seasons before getting my first. The last two, I hunted a lot. The first few, just a few days at the beginning of firearms. A lot of it is about being in the right place at the right time. All of the prep in the world won't matter if the deer aren't walking your trail that day.

It's even harder on public land. There are a ton of people walking the woods and shooting big loud guns. The deer aren't dumb. It takes a lot of patience to keep in this game. I know a few guys who have been hunting a lot longer than me and still haven't gotten a deer. Just keep at it and enjoy the time spent in the woods with the critters. Good luck!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by iamtommyboy View Post
    It took me five seasons before getting my first. The last two, I hunted a lot. The first few, just a few days at the beginning of firearms. A lot of it is about being in the right place at the right time. All of the prep in the world won't matter if the deer aren't walking your trail that day.

It's even harder on public land. There are a ton of people walking the woods and shooting big loud guns. The deer aren't dumb. It takes a lot of patience to keep in this game. I know a few guys who have been hunting a lot longer than me and still haven't gotten a deer. Just keep at it and enjoy the time spent in the woods with the critters. Good luck!
    If you are hunting public land use others to your advantage.

Don't just find tracks find where they will be during the day.

Between feeding a d bedding.

The best time to learn is bow season. Then use skills for rifle.
    Take a while. Topo maps help.

Hunting not killing. Not everyone is good. But have fun and look around.

(Bucks County)

Haha! Time and patience is the key. I've hunted about 20 seasons and I've only gotten 1 buck and 4 doe. I think a lot of it is luck. I tried all the fancy scent blocks etc... The funny thing is when I shot my 1 buck 10point big boy I was out the night before partying all night got home 2am woke up at 5am sleep most of the day in the woods smoked a bunch of cigarettes and this thing walked right up to me within 15yards. Keep trying if it was easy it wouldn't be fun.
    "It's all in the reflexes" Jack Burton

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by firebird.77 View Post
    I have been hunting SGL 157 and 139 for three years and have yet to see a deer in-season. I have scouted multiple areas and found plenty of sign, and have seen plenty of deer during the small game season.

This year I have stepped up the effort significantly. I put a stand right on a main trail where I spotted a solid 6 pt earlier this year. I was just out this afternoon and there are fresh tracks in the snow right along the trail, which means there have been deer through there last night or in the morning.

In the beginning of buck season I hunted 3B and saw a few doe, one that I jumped in the morning on my way to the stand. Even with crunchy snow I was able to circle around and get a "shot" lined up (antlerless wasn't open, nor did i have tags), so it would seem that I am capable of being quiet enough. I am using scentless laundry soap and a cover scent spray. Obviously state game lands have huge pressure on them, and I have not been to 157 this season as it was completely overrun with hunter last season and 139 seems to be overlooked. I did see a gut pile earlier this week fairly close to my stand, so deer CAN be found/taken in the area. It's not like I expect to march into the woods and land a monster buck, but after 3 seasons I haven't seen a SINGLE legal deer, buck or doe, during the appropriate season. I have 5C doe tags and have no preference on what kind of deer I take, just looking for meat in the freezer.

Yeah....you hunt firearm deer and expect to shoot a deer...not being a dick but serious....deer aren't stupid, they are creatures of habit. They know after years of being hunted what parts of the season to slow down. It doesnt help either that there are hundreds of other guys in the woods months before you get out there to hunt deer that spook them.

If you want to consistently kill deer you have to get out early season or have a really nice plotof undisturbed private land. Learn to bow hunt. Bow hunting is much more enjoyable and much more peaceful.

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by firebird.77 View Post

A very simple tactic that has worked for me is to go "thick". Is it because of the pressure? Is it because of the proximity of tender tips on small shrubs and cover? Honestly, I'm not sure, but I'll bet you 10 bucks right now if you go out to your game land and get into the thickest, most briar-ridden, swearing to fight through it stuff you can find you'll kick out deer and find lots of sign. Now, think of the thickest crap you know of, now think of someplace you can get above it a bit and see into it (treestand, bench on a hill etc). Get there and you'll see deer. Learn those spots better. Where do they enter and leave that thick stuff when they're being pushed? Where are the rubs? (Because there will be rubs).
    Just a tactic that's worked for me.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger P229 View Post
    A very simple tactic that has worked for me is to go "thick". Is it because of the pressure? Is it because of the proximity of tender tips on small shrubs and cover? Honestly, I'm not sure, but I'll bet you 10 bucks right now if you go out to your game land and get into the thickest, most briar-ridden, swearing to fight through it stuff you can find you'll kick out deer and find lots of sign. Now, think of the thickest crap you know of, now think of someplace you can get above it a bit and see into it (treestand, bench on a hill etc). Get there and you'll see deer. Learn those spots better. Where do they enter and leave that thick stuff when they're being pushed? Where are the rubs? (Because there will be rubs).
    Just a tactic that's worked for me.

THis. it is the reason pruning snips and a small folding saw go with me all the time. surveyors tape too.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: What am I doing wrong? 3 failed deer seasons...

40 years and only two does and one small buck. Oh yeah, and a PILE of really good quality uninterrupted naps!!

(Lawrence County)

3 years is a long time to go without even seeing a deer. One thing to keep in mind is that if you don't have a deer by 10am on Monday morning you probably just cut your chances in half. Next year count the shots you hear by that time and then count the shots you hear the rest of the season, it will get you thinking. You've hunted there long enough that you know where most of the hunters are coming in from. Get there early and go in from a different direction and set up in front of them so when they hit the woods they are pushing deer towards you.

Deer aren't stupid, when you are hunting public land and a million hunters invade the woods on opening day they freak out. The ones that make it through that day tend to hunker down in the thick stuff and come out at night. You're not going to see a bunch of deer just walking around grazing in the middle of the day during rifle season on public land. You're best bet is usually in the mornings which can be tough with a work schedule you get out when you can but if there is any way to make the time I always go out early as opposed to late.

The two Saturdays are your best bet after the first day so make them count. Get out early and get to a spot that has a good line of sight. When I used to hunt pressured land I always tried to get to my stand an hour before light. Didn't always make it that early but the earlier the better. There have been plenty of times that I had deer right under me but couldn't see them. You don't want to be walking in at first light if you can help it. Don't get frustrated, it will happen.

(York County)

I am constantly amazed at how devoid of deer the game lands seem to be during season. The habitat is amazing, the terrain is amazing, the sign is even amazing, but I too have not seen a deer to shoot at any time I go down there. I won't go unless it's in the middle of the week and season and I can have the whole place to myself. Just not confortable there on day one or right after. All I can say is, that's why they call it "hunting". Not a guarantee. My private honey hole has been pretty quiet for me this year, too. And only up the road a mile from the gamelands. Keep at it. Time in the woods will yield consistancy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast