Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Urgent Petition - UN Arms Treaty

Don't know if any of you listen to the Dick Morris show on the radio, but he was talking about the UN Arms Trade Treaty, and I figured I should post the letter he has on his website. According to Dick, the treaty takes effect in the absence of being ratified until/unless the President revokes the treaty, or Congress votes to strike it down. So, he has a petition on his website that will send emails to the appropriate PA politicians telling them to support the Armed Services Appropriations Bill (which contains an amendment to bar funding of the treaty for a year).

By barring funding, the government is unable to take any action to enforce the treaty, and will give the Republicans the time to win back sets in upcoming elections. At that point the treaty can be brought to a vote and defeated (assuming the Rs gain control).

Link: http://dickmorris.rallycongress.com/...-trade-treaty/

By the way, he also has a petition on the site to support the USA Freedom Act, which is a decent first step to roll-back the NSA infringements on our privacy.

Dick Morris' Letter Below

Dear Friend,

Secretary of State John Kerry signed away our Second Amendment rights earlier this year when he signed the Arms Trade Treaty at the UN.

Now we have a chance to get them back!

As long as the Senate has not rejected the Treaty, it takes effect even without being ratified under the Vienna Convention.

But Senator James Inhofe (R-OKla.) has inserted an amendment into the Armed Services Appropriations bill barring funding of implementation of the Treaty for a year.

We need to get this bill passed! The House goes home on Friday. Unless both houses pass it by Friday, the president will govern with a continuing resolution and will implement the treaty!!!

PLEASE sign this petition and circulate it to everybody you know!

You may have amassed signatures against the Arms Trade Treaty before, but now it is urgent. If this bill is not approved in the next 72 hours, the Treaty will be implemented.

(Some are complaining that the bill does not include sanctions on Iran. I agree with their concerns. But Inhofe opted to move ahead anyway to get the cutoff of Arms Treaty funding. It is that crucial!)

We will forward your signature to your Senators and Congressman. Please be sure to include your name, hard mailing address, and your email so we can do so.

We'll add your email address to our Alerts list to keep you posted on progress and let you know if we need to take further action.
    Please get to work!

Thanks,

Dick Morris

Default Re: Urgent Petition - UN Arms Treaty

I was under the impression that as per the Constitution, all treaties must be ratified by Congress before they can take effect. Meaning that a treaty has no effect on our land until Congress says so, so it can't just magically work without a vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Article II, Section 2, Clause 2 of the United States Constitution
    [The President] shall have Power, by and with Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_Clause

They need 2/3rd of the Senate to approve it, or 67 Senators (I believe - that would leave 33 Senators opposed; if it is 66 Senators - that would leave 34 Senators opposed, so 66 is not 2/3s of 100). I believe it is nothing more than fearmongering that you're buying into.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Solaran_X View Post
    I was under the impression that as per the Constitution, all treaties must be ratified by Congress before they can take effect. Meaning that a treaty has no effect on our land until Congress says so, so it can't just magically work without a vote.

They need 2/3rd of the Senate to approve it, or 67 Senators (I believe - that would leave 33 Senators opposed; if it is 66 Senators - that would leave 34 Senators opposed, so 66 is not 2/3s of 100). I believe it is nothing more than fearmongering that you're buying into.
    ^^^^^ this, the UN can't even do what it was created for so it has zero power here. Should in some alternate universe these surrender monkies ever make it here we will have our choice of new weapons only dropped once.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Solaran_X View Post

That was my same understanding, but I figured the guy was an advisor to a President, so perhaps... All I know is if they sign an amendment that prohibits enforcement of the treaty (even if its just symbolic) it can't be a bad thing. Maybe it doesn't help, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

(Bucks County)

I thought this was voted down in November. As in not ratified.

(Montgomery County)

It was my understanding it was NOT brought up for vote because they anticipated it would fail. So, this amendment is intended to delay any funding for a year. So, even if it were to pass, it could not be enforced until after the next election cycle. With Obamacare tanking the Dems it is likely this amendment would guarantee non-action on the treaty until the Republicans regain control and can bring it to a vote...and defeat it.

Just passing on what these radio talk-show guys were saying.

(Bucks County)

Ah yes, I went back to look at my NRA/GOA notes and the current treaty is blocked by the Senate.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by VRH View Post
    Ah yes, I went back to look at my NRA/GOA notes and the current treaty is blocked by the Senate.
    Yes it was blocked, despite our piece of crap Obama lapdog, bob casey voting in favor of it.