Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Questions about PA possession/purchase (non resident property owner)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Since you have the NJ FID you're covered in NJ for transporting your unloaded and locked long guns without an exempted location.

I believe you're covered transporting handguns from NJ directly to your PA residence or a shooting range. Or vice-versa. I.e. traveling between two exempted location at any time. Both PA (without a license) and NJ (all the time) will require you to be going to/from exempted locations.

I would recommend getting your Utah non-resident permit since, even if you dont plan to carry, it will give you more freedom to transport in PA.

Keeping proof of your PA residence while traveling/transporting seems like a good idea.

*One more point. I believe the NJ transportation of hollow-points does NOT allow for an exemption between residencies. I.e. no hollow points going from your NJ home to your PA home. Only between NJ home and range.

Of course, even if you're legal and covered, a wrongful arrest would be expense and devastating. So above all else don't volunteer ANY information (where are ya headed today? Sorry I'd rather not say) or consent to any searches.
    NJ does not provide an exemption for firearm transport between residences unless you are moving.

True.
    IANAL

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Questions about PA possession/purchase (non resident property owner)

Could you just get a PA ID (not drivers license)?

Just brainstorming, no idea what the legalities of that are.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Could you just get a PA ID (not drivers license)?

Just brainstorming, no idea what the legalities of that are.
    Per the PennDot application for the Photo ID:

do you hold a current/valid out-of-state driver's license? If yes, you must surrender your out-of-state valid license.
    http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...rms/dl-54a.pdf
    IANAL

(Northampton County)

Thanks for all the help everyone. It is amazing how confusing this all gets, and toss NJ law in the middle of it, forget it.

I did call to get a PA ID, and this would be proof enough for an FFL. PA will issue a non DL ID, but you have to fill out a form that says you do not hold a DL in any other state. If you do hold a DL in another state you have to surrender it. With that said, I do not think it is a good idea to lie on the form.

My main issue is not a purchase at this point in time, it's more just conforming to both states laws for transportation. I could just move one once, and be done with it, but I hate leaving a firearm in a vacant house while I am in NJ.

Thanks again for all of your help,
    Mike

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Per the PennDot application for the Photo ID:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...rms/dl-54a.pdf
    Yes, exactly right. Tough position to be in, but I am not giving up. I am going to do my best to be covered in both states.

Thanks,
    Mike

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    NJ does not provide an exemption for firearm transport between residences unless you are moving.
    Thank you for catching that. And to further specify with hollow points, there is no exemption between residences even when moving. I think that's the one charge that stuck with Brian Aitken.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by TKMike View Post
    Thanks for all the help everyone. It is amazing how confusing this all gets, and toss NJ law in the middle of it, forget it.

I did call to get a PA ID, and this would be proof enough for an FFL. PA will issue a non DL ID, but you have to fill out a form that says you do not hold a DL in any other state. If you do hold a DL in another state you have to surrender it. With that said, I do not think it is a good idea to lie on the form.

My main issue is not a purchase at this point in time, it's more just conforming to both states laws for transportation. I could just move one once, and be done with it, but I hate leaving a firearm in a vacant house while I am in NJ.

Thanks again for all of your help,
    Mike
    There are ways of getting your NJ handgun to Pa (ex: range use) and then storing that handgun in Pa (safe deposit, storage locker, etc) or at your Pa residence. Unless you go the route already suggested by getting a carry license from any state (such as UT), you'll have issues with transporting to any off-residence Pa storage.

UT CCW would GREATLY facilitate solving your dilemma.
    IANAL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12