Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default article on right gun for women

I found this article curious.

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/i...ding-to-women/

Especially, since my sister and I recently spent a day at the range finding out what she liked and what she shot best. She liked the .38spl, but shot a .45acp better AND liked it. I was very pleased she liked the .45, but kinda surprised me too. Love my sis!

As a former gun store jerk... er.. um.. I mean clerk! I heard this debate daily.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: article on right gun for women

As someone involved in gun sales, I usually steer women, who are shopping for their first gun, away from the small, pink and light .38 SPL revolvers. With the small size and weight, the recoil will prevent the woman from quickly resighting the gun if a second shot is absolutely necessary. I am primarily writing about women who are looking for a home defense gun.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

I'm not a woman but I have played one on TV . . .

Just like with men, a good carry gun is different than a good home defense gun or a good target gun.

I start all new shooters, man or woman, with either a .22 or a 4" .38. That's to learn the basics.

A carry gun is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. Size and weight become issues for men and women but women's clothes don't tend to accomodate heavy belts or bulky holsters very well.

The problem really comes down to the simple fact that most guys who are teaching their women folk to shoot and advising them on guns really don't know what they are doing.

The .38 Spl. snubby is a great little gun, but it may be time to challenge the idea that it’s the best beginner’s gun for a woman who wants to defend herself.
    I wouldn't say that the .38 snubby is the best beginner's gun for anyone.
    Last edited by Grey Bearded One; December 2nd, 2013 at 09:44 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

I have trouble with a .38 snubby, so I doubt my wife would be very good with it as well. I bought her a S&W 637 Airweight years ago when I didn't know any better. She insists on a revolver as she has trouble racking the slide on a semiauto. She's a tiny woman, so she can't carry something very big. I was thinking about a Ruger SP-101 .357 with the 3" barrel. How about the Ladysmith? Any women out there familiar with it?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by lemko View Post
    I have trouble with a .38 snubby, so I doubt my wife would be very good with it as well. I bought her a S&W 637 Airweight years ago when I didn't know any better. She insists on a revolver as she has trouble racking the slide on a semiauto. She's a tiny woman, so she can't carry something very big. I was thinking about a Ruger SP-101 .357 with the 3" barrel. How about the Ladysmith? Any women out there familiar with it?
    For a revolver I think the 3" SP101 is a good option with .38s - you'd have a good amount of steel to keep the recoil in check. Much easier than a lightweight <2" barrel snub.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaA View Post
    As someone involved in gun sales, I usually steer women, who are shopping for their first gun, away from the small, pink and light .38 SPL revolvers. With the small size and weight, the recoil will prevent the woman from quickly resighting the gun if a second shot is absolutely necessary. I am primarily writing about women who are looking for a home defense gun.
    Second on your opinion, take a look at the CZ 75 P-07 Duty. I got to call my new toy mine only until the wife fired it. May be a little big in the grip for some but she shoots it fine. Some where between a duty gun and a carry.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    Second on your opinion, take a look at the CZ 75 P-07 Duty. I got to call my new toy mine only until the wife fired it. May be a little big in the grip for some but she shoots it fine. Some where between a duty gun and a carry.

The shop where I work just recently started carrying these pistols. Very nice guns, I might add.

(Franklin County)

I don't think it's a matter of being able to handle or deal with the recoil, I think it's about not being intimidated by it.
    I recently took my wife to the range for her very first time shooting a handgun. We started out with a .22 but I also had my LCP and a Glock 26 with me that I wanted to put some rounds through. After we shot the .22 revolver for a while (about 50 rounds) she wanted to shoot my LCP. I was a little surprised and leary. I put one round in the mag and made her chamber it and she shot once with no problem, then she wanted more so I loaded a full magazine and she shot through it before she had enough. The LCP has a bit of a snap and she handled the recoil fine. She wouldn't shoot my G26 though.
    I think a woman can handle the recoil from most handguns if they aren't afraid of it.

(York County)

In my opinion, the best resource for a woman delving into firearms ownership is hands down

www.corneredcat.com

Kathy Jackson is a very sensible, knowledgeable woman with great insight for women, and men too
    Last edited by TwistedCopper; December 2nd, 2013 at 06:53 PM.

(Bucks County)

Tried the Cornered Cat link, it pointed to "THEcorneredcat", a nearly blank home page.

Try Cornered Cat instead.

BTW, I started reading and the author makes good sense, concisely, and gives a good read too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast