Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default H&R gurus please step inside. .32SW vest pocket safety hammer .5" barrel help needed.

Serial number 133xxx.

5 shot, .32sw, bobbed hammer, nickel plated.

Just looking to learn alittle more about it. Brought her home today and now curiosity is killing me.

Also, any sources for a new grip half? One is cracked. From what I gather it also went by the name "young American". No other markings on the gun but serial and "vest pocket hammer safety".

Thank you gentleman.
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

(Monroe County)

Default Re: H&R gurus please step inside. .32SW vest pocket safety hammer .5" barrel help nee

Looks to me as if the barrel was chopped. I have a young America 5-shot revolver, broken, that I believe has the exact same grips. From what I hear it may not be the best idea to fire these, only keep them as a show piece.

(Berks County)

Default Re: H&R gurus please step inside. .32SW vest pocket safety hammer .5" barrel help nee

Picked it up from a gun shop today, the smith there told me it was a .32sw and totally safe with modern SW ammo. Not ACP. Internet says it's a pre 1919, also says that if it wasn't a black powder revolver it would have a caliber on the barrel. But obviously, not much will fit on a .5" barrel.

Armslist ads all confirm this.

Google images is showing the barrel length is factory apparently.

The rifling is very nice and defined, some pitting at the cylinder end. But I know the first rimmed center fires were highly corrosive if left uncleaned.

Such a mystery.
    Last edited by Zet70; December 14th, 2013 at 08:30 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    Picked it up from a gun shop today, the smith there told me it was a .32sw and totally safe with modern SW ammo. Not ACP. Internet says it's a pre 1919, also says that if it wasn't a black powder revolver it would have a caliber on the barrel. But obviously, not much will fit on a .5" barrel.

Armslist ads all confirm this.

Google images is showing the barrel length is factory apparently.

The rifling is very nice and defined, some pitting at the cylinder end. But I know the first rimmed center fires were highly corrosive if left uncleaned.

Such a mystery.
    Is the company name and address marked on the bottom of the butt? This will determine if it is a First Model or Second Model, which then will determine if it is blackpowder only or smokeless.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Is the company name and address marked on the bottom of the butt? This will determine if it is a First Model or Second Model, which then will determine if it is blackpowder only or smokeless.
    Nope. Just 6 digit serial number.

But from the pics online. I haven't seen a single example with the manufacturer or address on the bottom of the butt.

Ie:
    http://www.gunauction.com/buy/124931...cal-c-and-r-ok
    Last edited by Zet70; December 14th, 2013 at 08:44 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Nope. Just 6 digit serial number.

But from the pics online. I haven't seen a single example with the manufacturer or address on the bottom of the butt.
    Congrats on your acquisition of a Vest Pocket First Model, Medium Frame.

The barrel length is correct. They came in 1-1/4" round and 2" barrel octagon lengths. Yours appears to be the 2nd Variation due to having a blued trigger guard.

It was manufactured between 1897 and 1904, which means it is blackpowder only.

See below.

VEST POCKET FIRST MODEL MEDIUM FRAME (BLACK POWDER) Add to Collection
    .32 S&W cal., 5 shot, 1¼ in. round or 2 in. octagon barrel (rare), double action, pull pin cylinder release, spurless hammer, blue (rare) or nickel finish, markings on top strap are "VEST POCKET SELF COCKER" "VEST POCKET SAFETY HAMMER" or "VEST POCKET". The First Variation has 1¼ in. round or 2 in. octagon barrel, nickel finish and nickel trigger guard (mfg. 1891-1897), the Second Variation has 1¼ in. round or 2 in. octagon barrel, nickel finish, and a blue trigger guard (mfg. 1897-1904). Mfg. 1891-1904.
    View Historic Prices
    Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
    $215 $195 $165 $135 $120 $100 $90
    Add 50% for 2 in. octagon barrel or 15% for blue finish.

================================================== ====

VEST POCKET SECOND MODEL SMALL FRAME (SMOKELESS POWDER) Add to Collection
    .22 rimfire cal., 7 shot, 1¼ in. round barrel, spurless hammer, nickel or blue finish, pull pin cylinder release, top strap markings are "VEST POCKET SAFETY HAMMER" or "VEST POCKET". The company name and address is marked on bottom of butt. After 1930 the catalog listing is: VEST POCKET No. 77 .22 rimfire caliber 7 shots. Mfg. 1905-1941.
    View Historic Prices
    Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
    $220 $190 $165 $140 $125 $110 $95
    Add 5% for blue finish.
    See American Double Actions for the differences between the First and Second models.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Berks County)

Congrats on your acquisition of a Vest Pocket First Model, Medium Frame.

The barrel length is correct. They came in 1-1/4" round and 2" barrel octagon lengths. Yours appears to be the 2nd Variation due to having a blued trigger guard.

It was manufactured between 1897 and 1904, which means it is blackpowder only.

See below.
    Well the gun just became useless to me. As I have no interest in black powder pieces. For sale. $75.

(Jefferson County)

Grips... Finding the medium frame grips can be a challenge. Small and large frames can be found easily. But mediums might be either, or their own size.

I wouldn't worry though, there is a guy/company that makes all sorts of H&R grips, and will match them up from an outline of yours.

http://vintagegungrips.net/hrpistolgrips.html

(Jefferson County)

Well the gun just became useless to me. As I have no interest in black powder pieces. For sale. $75.
    Roll your own. BP cartridges are easier to load than smokeless. You dont have to measure the powder..

Just get some .32S&W brass, enlarge the flashhole a little. Resize, prime, then fill the case to about 1/16"-1/8" below the mouth(a full case will work too, but will be hotter and waste powder with a short barrel), seat a bullet, then shoot.

The only thing you have to worry about is having airspace in BP loading. You want either the powder right up to the bottom of the seated bullet, or a slight compression of powder.

(Berks County)

Roll your own. BP cartridges are easier to load than smokeless. You dont have to measure the powder..

Just get some .32S&W brass, enlarge the flashhole a little. Resize, prime, then fill the case to about 1/16"-1/8" below the mouth(a full case will work too, but will be hotter and waste powder with a short barrel), seat a bullet, then shoot.

The only thing you have to worry about is having airspace in BP loading. You want either the powder right up to the bottom of the seated bullet, or a slight compression of powder.
    Tempting. But I don't have any of the supplies for that, I know it's stupid but I'll ask anyway.

I can't get some .32SW or .32ACP rounds, pull the bullet, dump the smokeless powder out, add some BP, and reload the bullet can I? I know that's a ridiculous question.
    Last edited by Zet70; December 14th, 2013 at 09:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast