Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home based FFL

Default Home based FFL

I am new to this form and apologies if this has ben asked if it has tell me the link I need to find the info.
    What I would like to know is can you still get a FFL from your home and what all is needed to do so? any info. would be very much appreciated thank you for your time and this forum.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Home based FFL

You can always try but know that the ATF will call your township and ask if you are zoned for operating a business out of your home. I had my FFL for an apartment until pres Clinton. It was not renewed when the township told ATF I was not zoned for business.

I had one up until 2001-2002…The ATF calling the township must be fairly recent.

In any case, these days I wouldn't touch a home FFL at all. Not worth potentially inviting the man into your life like that. Plus, even if you use it do transfers and stuff, having people you do not know well come into your home is not a very smart idea.

(Armstrong County)

What reason would you have to have a home FFL that would outweigh having The Man make a few visits to your home?

I've thought about the same thing a few times but could not find a reason where I wanted a FFL more than unpleasant visits to audit paperwork along with inviting strangers to my home.

I'd prefer to stay under the radar and pay a tad more.

(Montgomery County)

He obviously wants to make a business of it.

Red face Re: Home based FFL

Quote Originally Posted by mbinpa View Post
    You can always try but know that the ATF will call your township and ask if you are zoned for operating a business out of your home. I had my FFL for an apartment until pres Clinton. It was not renewed when the township told ATF I was not zoned for business.
    Get yer house approved for what is called [here in 10aC] a.."incidental home business"..like....ummm......Amway or Avon etc.

Go around and talk w yer neighbors re ""no signs", no parking in their spaces, etc etc b4 you go to the commission...

G'luck.. ATF will want to a see the premises and see about "regular business hours" etc. You can offer "by appointment only"*if you want.

Go get a state sales TAX number. Go get a ammo tax number and buy some ammo tax stamps. hint..buy a cheap liability policy on you and become a LLC.

ie show you mean to DO business

Oh yeah..you need a 10aC state lic to sell handguns too here
    Last edited by Fred762; December 11th, 2013 at 12:53 AM.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by oscbus01 View Post
    I am new to this form and apologies if this has ben asked if it has tell me the link I need to find the info.
    What I would like to know is can you still get a FFL from your home and what all is needed to do so? any info. would be very much appreciated thank you for your time and this forum.
    A lot depends on what you want the FFL for.

If you are getting the license just to buy guns cheaper, stop now, the BATFE will not issue a license for that. As a FFL you can buy guns to add to your collection there's not a problem with that as long as that is not the majority of your business. The BATFE Compliance Agents can spot that a long way off (like when they interview you prior to issuing your license or whenever they do your compliance inspections).

If you want to start a legitimate gun business it can be done (with a couple of caveats).

1. Does where you live allow home based businesses? If they do, then you will have to prove to the BATFE that you have done what is required to meet the local ordinances.

2. You will need any local licenses as required by your city, town, borough, township, etc.

3. You will need a PA Sale and Use Tax license. You get that from the Dept of Revenue.

4. You will need a PA state firearms license. You get that at the Sheriffs Dept for your county. You actually get that after you are licensed by the BATFE.

5. You will need to tell the BATFE what your business hours are going to be (unless you are a gunsmith). This is so that they can come to your business to inspect your books and compliance). Unless there is something going on, it is rare that they do a no notice inspection, they just don't have the manpower. Typically they will call you to set up an appointment to check your books.

Not actually required but very advisable:
    1. Separate bank accounts for the business

2. Liability Insurance, separate from your homeowners policy (The NRA does endorse a compnay that can do this)

3. Some form of a business (LLC, Inc., etc.) to shield your personal property from any lawsuits.

4. Have separate (and marked as such) gun storage for your business assets and your personal guns.

5. A dedicated entrance to your shop is nice to have but if you don't have one it's not a game stopper. Just remember that when a BATFE Compliance Agent comes to check your books, if you have to take him through your house to get to your office, anything illegal he sees can be reported to the local LE offices (and will be). My shop (I'm a gunsmith) is entered from my outside door to my basement and the only thing you go past is our laundry room (and it is always closed from view).

Do not fall for the ads that say they can guarantee you a FFL, they can't.

You can get all the info needed to become a FFL from the BATFE web site.

Also, don't buy the "wholesalers listing" you can find them easy enough on the web and once you get your license, many will start sending you catalogs or emails and you will hear about others in your business dealings.

Good Luck.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Wink Re: Home based FFL

Thank you to all for the info.
    Very good info.
    I do want this for a small business minor gunsmithing and a few sales.
    Just a small retirement gig extra cash doing something I like to do.

Thumbs up Re: Home based FFL

I just wanted to say thank you again to all that replied Xringshooter great info. spot on thank you Ron.
    My 07 FFL came today.
    Now I have to do the state part. I hope it don't take to long.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by oscbus01 View Post
    I just wanted to say thank you again to all that replied Xringshooter great info. spot on thank you Ron.
    My 07 FFL came today.
    Now I have to do the state part. I hope it don't take to long.
    Congrats! If you ever have any questions on paperwork, shoot me an email whenever you need. Also, I'll email you a list of distributors that will give accounts to home-based businesses.

One question, do you plan on paying ITAR? That's the only reason I went 01/03 instead of 07/02.

Best of luck!
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast