Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: concealed carry for firefighters

It is the burden of those who tell you it is illegal to provide the law they think they know.

In street terms, tell them to "put up or shut up".

You can always obtain a free copy of the PA Uniform Firearms Act, all 170 pages of it (give or take), and slap it down on a desk in front of them and say "show me".

They won't be able to find it. Because there is no such law, and therefore nothing for YOU to show to THEM. However, since they are so sure of it themselves they should have no trouble at all finding it for you.

Right? :evilgrin:
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    There IS a state regulation against EMTs carrying weapons on their person or in their vehicle.

I have heard this before, on more than one occasion. Can you cite to source?

Quote Originally Posted by gunner2651 View Post
    it was noticed whenever i took my gear off this morning. i carry a snub 357 with a in the pants holster and the butt of the gun was showing and we have many guys their that are very anti-gun and it has caused and issue. so i want to be well prepared for our board meeting on tuesday evening when i get called in about it because i know that it is going to happen.
    You stated that it's against their documented policy. My expectation, given the climate that you described around the firehouse, is that you won't have this job on Wednesday morning. I'd expect that the same (terminated "for cause") would happen to me, though my job is very different.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    You stated that it's against their documented policy. My expectation, given the climate that you described around the firehouse, is that you won't have this job on Wednesday morning. I'd expect that the same (terminated "for cause") would happen to me, though my job is very different.
    QFT!

I'm neither an EMT nor a firefighter, but if I were caught at work with a firearm, or ammo, or any part or piece of or relating to a firearm or ammo, I too would be jobless the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I have heard this before, on more than one occasion. Can you cite to source?
    http://paemsinfo.pehsc.org/assets/fi...Regs_FINAL.pdf
    RULES AND REGULATIONS
    Title 28—HEALTH AND SAFETY DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
    § 1027.3. Licensure and general operating standards.

(j) Weapons and explosives. Weapons and explosives may not be worn by EMS providers or EMSVOs or carried aboard an EMS vehicle. This subsection does not apply to law enforcement officers who are serving in an authorized law enforcement capacity.

(York County)

Thank you. Saved. Rep sent.

(Franklin County)

would you happen to have the information to this? thier are certain people at my firehall saying that it is illegal and i would like to information to prove them wrong
    I have the same issue in my industry (truck driving). Many truck drivers think it's illegal to carry a firearm in a commercial vehicle and when I tell them it's not illegal they say, "prove it". I can't prove something that doesn't exist. Again, the laws and regulations are written to tell you what you can't do or what you must do, but not everything you could possibly do.

(Franklin County)

interesting,
    Because this is a government "regulation" does that make it a law or state code?
    I guess what I'm asking, is it "illegal" for an EMS dude to carry or is it just against the regulations?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    interesting,
    Because this is a government "regulation" does that make it a law or state code?
    I guess what I'm asking, is it "illegal" for an EMS dude to carry or is it just against the regulations?
    Its against DOH Rules and Regs. IANAL so IDK if that would get you into any legal trouble per se, but being in violation of EMS rules and regs could risk you losing your certification as an EMS provider (probably permanently with this violation) thus losing your job. I am a paramedic, and I honestly am torn about carry of weapons on an ambulance or medic unit while working as a provider. Its even more responsibility than you already have. Your sense of scene awareness should already be high and to add one more thing to worry about can be a hazard. We sometimes work in small enclosed spaces, and unlike police officers we are usually working within a patient's personal space. Almost every patient I start an IV on has their arm lying across my lap if i am doing it in the ambulance, so if I was a lefty their hand would pretty much be touching my firearm. Also there is a public trust issue. Lets face it, most people we see hate and don't trust cops. From my experience, just wearing a badge at work makes people immediately think I am a cop. Being an EMS provider however lets us talk to patients and they will tell us things they wouldn't tell an officer, and trust us with their life especially when you convey to them that you are on their side and there for them, and are bound by HIPAA laws not to release protected health information information to outside parties (like doctor/patient confidentiality). We are there to save and preserve lives, not take them, but if mine is about to be taken…well thats where I'm torn.

So on the other hand a defense tool could benefit us at times. We see a lot of crazy people or drugged people that we never know how they will act. A lot of times when I work down in MD we arrive at scenes long before police can send an available unit, or won't send one because the initial call indicates no need for an officer. Sometimes if it sounds bad enough we will stage and let police go in first. But there is always a potential for someone to get violent, and not always an officer there to save my ass. So sometimes I think I would feel safer if I carried at work, other times I'm glad I didn't have it. As for now I just carry my benchmade "rescue tool" but I always take great care to make sure it is somewhere always concealed and in my control especially when I am up close and personal with someone and in the enclosed environment such as the back of the ambulance. The biggest thing that holds me back from saying its a good idea however is the public trust issue.

(Delaware County)

it was noticed whenever i took my gear off this morning. i carry a snub 357 with a in the pants holster and the butt of the gun was showing and we have many guys their that are very anti-gun and it has caused and issue. so i want to be well prepared for our board meeting on tuesday evening when i get called in about it because i know that it is going to happen.
    Lol. You didn't have a policy before, but you will now. That much is for sure.

My firehouse happened to be cool about it and said "Just put it in your locker with a padlock on it."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast