Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Ruger blackhawk/super blackhawk for hunting whitetail

So I've hunted with rifle all my life, recently started bow hunting. I remember when I was a kid my uncle has this hand cannon revolver he would hunt with and I always wanted to try it. I'm trying to decide between a ruger blackhawk in .357mag or a super blackhawk in 44mag. Upside to both is I can target shoot .38 special in the 357 (which I have lots of components and the dies to reload) and I can shoot 44 special in the 44mag but I have no reloading components or dies for it. I hear mixed things from the .357 is too small (yet others say with the new bullets available its just fine) to the 44mag will blow right through a deer. I'm also hoping to scope or at least red dot it. Thoughts?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Ruger blackhawk/super blackhawk for hunting whitetail

A factory .44mag load tends to have enough energy to pulverize whatever it touches. But those are the "hot range rounds" we shoot for fun. I think a proper hunt imam load would be tame and effective.

Jake

(Westmoreland County)

IMO the 357 mag is marginal from a regular revolver barrel length and only slightly better with a 10-12 inch hunting handgun. I use a scoped Ruger Blackhawk in 41 magnum which is very close to the 44 mag in power and shoots slightly flatter but I still keep my shots to less than 100-125 yards.

(Lycoming County)

Personally I would go with the .44 mag. If you look at muzzle energy the .357 maxes out around 700ftlbs and the .44 is just starting out there and goes as high as 1200. With the heavier bullets the .44 also has substantially more energy down range than the .357. IMO the 357 would be the bare minimum for deer and I wouldn't trust it out past maybe 40 or 50 yds. The .44 will definetly get the job done at ranges of 75yds and more if you can do your part.

I have the Super Blackhawk in .44 with 7 1/2 inch barrel and have hunted with it. I use a 260gr solid load that a friend of mine made up for me. I haven't ever been lucky enough to get a deer with it yet but I think it'll definetly get the job done.

(Westmoreland County)

I shot a doe with a Blackhawk in .45 Colt a few years ago. I'd go with either a .45 Colt if you reload or a .44 magnum. The .357 will do the job but I feel more comfortable with a bigger bullet.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Personally I would go with the .44 mag. If you look at muzzle energy the .357 maxes out around 700ftlbs and the .44 is just starting out there and goes as high as 1200. With the heavier bullets the .44 also has substantially more energy down range than the .357. IMO the 357 would be the bare minimum for deer and I wouldn't trust it out past maybe 40 or 50 yds. The .44 will definetly get the job done at ranges of 75yds and more if you can do your part....
    ^^^
    Good advice.

I've been hunting off-n-on for the last 20 years with a .44 Super Redhawk with a 7.5" barrel. Three bucks and at least that many doe/anterless.

Longest shot was about sixty yards. Shortest was <10 yards. All went down within 30 yards when I did my part. Did gut shot one and had a long tracking job. My fault, my penalty. I've experimented woith 180, 240, 300 grain and have settled on the 240's which seem to be the most accurate out of my gun.

I recommend the .44 because it will do the job at a bit longer distance. I'd recommend the .41 if you reload, but it is much easier to find ammo for the .44 if you don't.

Good luck.
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

(Blair County)

Thanks for the replies. So the .44 mag it is. My kids have never heard a .44 mag fire. Should be fun to introduce them hehe.

(Jefferson County)

The .357mag is plenty enough for deer. Everything is relative to range.. Just use 140gr or heavier bullets, preferably 158gr or heavier. And do not use hollow points. Use hardcast, or softnose, or semi-wadcutters, or a Keith profile.

And, if you use REAL .357mag power level cartridges you will be in the power range of today's 44mag power levels. And the Blackhawk and SuperBlackhawk are quite capable of handling very hot .357mags, beyond top spec .357 levels.

Today's .44mags are not at spec .44mag power levels. They are below the .357mag's spec power level. Remember, 44mag's spec is 1470fps with a 240gr bullet, and 357mag's spec is 1550fps with a 158gr bullet. That is 1150 ftlbs and 845 ftlbs respectively. Look at factory providings for today's 44mag, most run right around 625 to 700 ft lbs, and they have no problem killing deer.
    Last edited by knight0334; December 9th, 2013 at 03:49 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Adams County)

I have used the .357 for deer. you do not need a cannon to kill a deer all you have to do is hit them in the right spot. so with the .357 you get more shooting because it costless to reload for which you can hit better with it. a 6.5: Blackhawk will do just fine. I use a 6" security-six.

to get the real power of the .357 you have to load for it. they have been loaded down over the years.

Thanks for the replies. So the .44 mag it is. My kids have never heard a .44 mag fire. Should be fun to introduce them hehe.
    The .44mag is a superior hunting round to the .357mag. You don't need hot loads with the .44mag to be very effective either. A 250gr SWC or other large metplat design scooting along at 1000fps will be very effective.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast