Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Thumbs down Walmart purchase...bad decision

Just got my shotgun out of layaway from Walmart. I should have known better than to buy a gun from them. It started when I went to the sportings goods counter. It took awhile for someone to show up to ring me out. Then I had to fill out the paperwork (done on computer). At this time I have to tell you that I made a big mistake back in September when I put the gun on layaway. I filled out the paperwork then not thinking that it should be done at the finally payment when I actually take posession of the gun. I was told then that it had to be done at that time. I wasn't listening to my inner voice. I paid twice for the same paperwork to be filed. I know it was only 2 dollars but it ate at me the longer I was there. And I was there along time. When I brought up the fact that I filled out the paperwork when I put it on layaway the woman behind the counter called an assistant manager. She showed up for nothing and then left. The lady behind the counter then did more paperwork then called back the assistant manager. By this time I'm really getting pissed. About an hour has passed. All in all it took about an hour and a half. When everything was done the assistant manager in training walked me out carrying my shotgun and after that experience I know why. I will never buy a gun from walmart again.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Walmart purchase...bad decision

An hour and a half?

I've spent that much time just trying to find someone who could go find someone with the key to the ammo case.

Sorry to hear of your "ordeal". Now forget about it and enjoy your shotgun!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

I was expecting to hear a horror story about how they bent the dang thing in half and , "Well, it's registered to you, so you have to take it up with corporate", or something equally horrid. As it is, your story was pretty aggravating too. Lessons learned.

(Berks County)

Yes getting keys for ammo is tough. $2 pisses you off that much? You knew it was wrong when you did it, but did you sign and date the last part? That's the only part that counts and it is to be done at transfer. If you didn't sign it you shouldn't have paid the fee. But two dollars is the cost with nothing added like every other ffl does. Most places that double charge would have cost fifty bucks, Ofcorse a real shop wouldn't have done that. Then again how many places offer layaway?

(Franklin County)

i bought a 30-30 marlin there once ,, took me an hour an half
    In God We Trust............................

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Yes getting keys for ammo is tough. $2 pisses you off that much? You knew it was wrong when you did it, but did you sign and date the last part? That's the only part that counts and it is to be done at transfer. If you didn't sign it you shouldn't have paid the fee. But two dollars is the cost with nothing added like every other ffl does. Most places that double charge would have cost fifty bucks, Ofcorse a real shop wouldn't have done that. Then again how many places offer layaway?
    The 2 bucks pissed me off cause I spent too much time there and that was icing on the cake. The 2 dollars was for PICS. That is standard. I did sign and date it and of course paid the 2 bucks back in sept and my inner voice was questioning it. The explaination today was the assistant manager should have never o.k.ed it in the first place. That was my fault and I admit to it. They did add a 3 dollar gun permit fee. I had never heard of that. Cabelas offers layaways and atleast I would have had someplace better to shop for an hour and a half instead of staring at a woman behind the counter telling me about a woman who came in a week ago and went thru the PIC system 3 times, passing it all 3 times....

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunDog View Post
    Cabelas offers layaways and atleast I would have had someplace better to shop for an hour and a half instead of staring at a woman behind the counter telling me about a woman who came in a week ago and went thru the PIC system 3 times, passing it all 3 times....
    How did the price compare for the same gun at Cabellas?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    How did the price compare for the same gun at Cabellas?
    Yeh, because at Cabelas you would have had to wait a full two hours and dealt with at least three different people!

Remember the level of service and competence is usually proportional to the price you pay for the gun. I dont want to spend two hours checking out a shotgun, so i'll pay a little more at my LGS, get some good tips in the process, and be home eating dinner before the assistant to the assistant manager for toys and woman's underwear at Walmart is finished figuring out the first page of their double redundant firearm safe computer system.

As an architect friend of mine says right on his business card, "quality, quick, and inexpensive: pick any two."

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    As an architect friend of mine says right on his business card, "quality, quick, and inexpensive: pick any two."
    Awesome.

Any big box retailer will be the same.Should have shopped while they got things figured out......multi task when they need you they have an intercom or they can call your cell. I did that with an ammo buy while they were finding the keys.

(Lackawanna County)

You get what you pay for.

Do you expect Walmart wages to attract people who know the least bit about firearms or the proper sales process? Customer service/satisfaction is part of the price in an item.

I wouldn't buy a toothbrush at Walmart much less a firearm.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast