Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Problem with a new purchase from Phoenix

KelTek CS is very good. Many reports by KTOGers of sending in a gun and upgrades done that were not even requested.

My First Gen P3AT (purchased new) was intermittent until I did the fluff and buff, which corrected all problems. Also, make sure it is not you yourself. These mouse guns can be difficult to control (grip).

Two schools of thought on the need to fluff and buff. New gun shouldn't need it v. do it and get to know the gun and save the money KT would have to charge for the gun if they did it.

Re the new gun position...it's common to replace factory trigger groups, springs, extractors in all kinds of firearms. One could argue that shouldn't be necessary, too.

New purchase of either new or used...disassemble and make sure it is squeaky clean and properly lubed, give it a chance to break in before proceeding to condemnation.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisUSMC View Post
    Why did you order parts and pay for them? last week I had a customer come in with the same problem and I just called and told them to ship me the parts for free. I've replaced a half dozen or so extractor assemblys in those guns and I've never paid for a part from keltec. Next time just take it back and ask if the shop can order you the parts.
    Phoenix Distributors is not that close to me so I would have spent more then the $5 in gas and it sounds like they are not open on weekends. Admission to the gun show is $8, they may have let me in for free if I explain the problem but still time and money more then the $5.
    Donald A. Jones

(Bucks County)

Question Re: Problem with a new purchase from Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    KelTek CS is very good. Many reports by KTOGers of sending in a gun and upgrades done that were not even requested.

My First Gen P3AT (purchased new) was intermittent until I did the fluff and buff, which corrected all problems. Also, make sure it is not you yourself. These mouse guns can be difficult to control (grip).

Two schools of thought on the need to fluff and buff. New gun shouldn't need it v. do it and get to know the gun and save the money KT would have to charge for the gun if they did it.

Re the new gun position...it's common to replace factory trigger groups, springs, extractors in all kinds of firearms. One could argue that shouldn't be necessary, too.

New purchase of either new or used...disassemble and make sure it is squeaky clean and properly lubed, give it a chance to break in before proceeding to condemnation.
    It's hard to break in a gun if it malfunctions with every shot. I was cycling rounds tonight, unfired rounds eject fine. I don't understand this grip thing, it should function correctly when the trigger is pulled, what I hit is another story.
    Donald A. Jones

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rototiller View Post
    I don't understand this grip thing, it should function correctly when the trigger is pulled, what I hit is another story.
    A semi auto handgun is relying upon you to have a firm enough grip to allow the slide to properly function. If you don't have a firm enough grip and provide enough resistance for the slide to properly function in order for it to extract the fired round and chamber a new one.

Hokkmike Guest

Dealers I know supposedly inspect, clean, and test fire used guns that they sell.

After you take it back the response you get WILL be worthy to post in this forum.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rototiller View Post
    It's hard to break in a gun if it malfunctions with every shot. I was cycling rounds tonight, unfired rounds eject fine. I don't understand this grip thing, it should function correctly when the trigger is pulled, what I hit is another story.

The term is called "limp wristing" : http://lmgtfy.com/?q=limp+wristing
    Toujours prêt

(Lawrence County)

You get what you pay for. I looked at those when my wife asked me to get her a small single stack to carry in her purse. After researching them online and seeing all the problems people had with them I decided my wife's life is worth more than a bottom of the barrel firearm that may or may not function correctly when she needs it. I ended up getting her a Kahr PM9 and she loves it. Saw a few reviews where some guys had a few failures during the recommended break in period of 200 rounds but we experienced none and have put 400 rounds of various ammunition through it.

(Monroe County)

OP. did you clean the chamber before you shoot? Kel Tecs have a reputation for rough chambers.

In any case Keltecs CS is very good, they will take care of you.

Inspect the chamber , then clean then use a third brand of ammo and see what happens.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    OP. did you clean the chamber before you shoot? Kel Tecs have a reputation for rough chambers.

In any case Keltecs CS is very good, they will take care of you.

Inspect the chamber , then clean then use a third brand of ammo and see what happens.
    I polished the chamber and feed ramp with Flitz, no difference. I saw where a too stiff recoil spring could causes FTE, so I removed one of the two and fired one shoot, still failed to extract the case. If the fluff and buff doesn't work then I contact the dealer first, to me they sold me a defected gun, that's on them not Kel-Tec.
    Donald A. Jones

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    The term is called "limp wristing" : http://lmgtfy.com/?q=limp+wristing
    You would think I would get a few good shoots off, never had a problem with my Glock 30SF. Now my Ruger 22/45 I get some malfunctions but that seems to be brand of ammo related. I have also tried full mag and empty mag, nothing.
    Donald A. Jones

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast