Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default SIG P226 (Railed) Review

The Sig P226 has been around since the XM9 service pistol trials in the mid-80s. Its' basic design comes from the P220 but it has a double stack magazine and is chambered in 9mm (40S&W and 357SIG variants are out now obviously).

Here's my summary of the pros and the cons of the gun:

Pros:
    -Ultra reliable. I've had several P226s over the years and none has had reliability issues at all.
    -Nitron finish. Very durable metal surface hardening treatment that does a great job at preventing corrosion as well.
    -Aftermarket accessories are readily available.
    -Very accurate gun.
    -You can choose which trigger system you'd like (DA/SA/SAO/DAK/ect…). DA/SA is the most common and the one I prefer.
    -Available in tons of different configurations to suit the users needs.
    -No external safeties.
    -Compliant in most ban states.
    -Very attractive looking gun.
    -Magazines are widely available from 15-20 round factory options.

Cons:
    -Expensive. While surplus P226s are still out there at reasonable costs, new models are priced higher than many other competitors out there.
    -Relatively heavy. Aluminum frame models come in at 34oz.
    -High bore axis. Not an issue in 9mm but with some more powerful rounds it may slow down follow up shots for less skilled shooters.

All in all, the P226 remains a classic gun that you can buy and be very certain you won't go wrong along with the CZ75, G17, 92FS, ect…. Here's my video with some shooting, a breakdown of the pistol, a discussion of the operation and features of the gun, and my overall thoughts on it:

(Centre County)

Default Re: SIG P226 (Railed) Review

I had a P226 Combat few years back.
    After initial hickups - first 50rounds or so was little shaky, but dead reliable after that.

Unfotunatly, grip size was something I just could not over come.
    My hand relatively smaller than most, I just had to let it go, and get something that fits my hand better.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

I just picked up a P226 MK25, I love it! I took it to the range yesterday and put 150 rounds through it; not only did it not malfunction at all but it punches nice holes in targets too.
    For me the grip is nice and the gun points very natural, being 9mm the recoil is very easily controlled. I was only shooting 10yds but it is an awesome pistol and in the stable for keeps.

(Lebanon County)

Beautiful pistol. Bucket list for me.
    WE ARE...PENN STATE!!

(Allegheny County)

I recently added an p226 elite stainless to my old p226 9mm and 40 in black. I also picked up a p227 and it's the ballz, if you like the p226 check out the p227 equinox they just released, I have one on order with my lgs. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=379761789

Sig is releasing some pretty cool p226 versions including 2 engraved versions. I'm on a list for them as well. http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...-p226-pistols/

[IMG][/IMG]

My new baby, I also got lucky and scored a few of the polished Mecgar mags. Super expensive but because of their rarity worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by mike12_nguyen View Post
    I recently added an p226 elite stainless to my old p226 9mm and 40 in black. I also picked up a p227 and it's the ballz, if you like the p226 check out the p227 equinox they just released, I have one on order with my lgs. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=379761789

Sig is releasing some pretty cool p226 versions including 2 engraved versions. I'm on a list for them as well. http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...-p226-pistols/

[IMG][/IMG]

My new baby, I also got lucky and scored a few of the polished Mecgar mags. Super expensive but because of their rarity worth it.
    I've been eyeballing the 227 as well.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
    I've been eyeballing the 227 as well.
    I just found a couple of p227 equinox at trops in Elizabethtown. I'm 4 hours from there but will drive this week to pick it up. They told me $879 which is a ridiculous good price, i paid a little more than $1000 for my black one. Hope that helps if you are looking for one.