Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Springfield XD (not XDM)

Does anybody have any experience shooting the Springfield XD (not XDM)? What do you think about it? How is the trigger compared to a factory Glock's or M&P's? Any comments or input are much appreciated, especially in regards to the 4" and 5" models. Thank you!

Default Re: Springfield XD (not XDM)

Had a Springfield XD9 for a number of years (just recently sold it here on PAFOA.) While it was a solid gun with good accuracy with very few, if any, failures, I was not crazy about the trigger. My G23 trigger has tension almost immediately upon squeezing, while the XD9 seemed to have a lot of creep before hitting tension. Being used to the Glock trigger, it felt very odd to me. It was the first trigger that I had that had this much travel before getting tension. I have used multiple shotguns, ARs, pistols and my trusty old M16 in the USMC, and none of them felt similar to this trigger.

Currently, I carry the XDs .45 from Springfield and I have to say, the trigger on this is much improved over that of the old XD9. It feels to me much more like a Glock trigger, but not quite the same.

I had an XD45. It's the only gun I've ever sold. I sold it to my dad...so it's still around. It shot very well for what it is. It loves cast lead bullets.

The ergonomics aren't too bad
    It's tall (dislike)
    The trigger sucks (dislike), but you can fix that with an aftermarket trigger (like).
    It shot well (like).

It goes like this;
    Glock>M&P>XD

I only say Glock over the M&P due Glock having a better trigger and being more ergonomic out of the box/nicer texture. If you are going to race either out, it's up to you. It's kinda like Ford vs Chevy while the XD is kind of like an old AMC or some other weird thing...while 1911's are the model T...broken down at the finish line, probably overheating.

If an XD is in your budget while the other two are not and it's the only handgun you can afford for a while, go for it, I would. It's better to have an XD than no gun at all (Taurus).
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Monroe County)

Glock,M&P, and XD pistols all have fairly distinct triggers. To kind of explain them:

Glock: distinct break and clicky reset. It feels very positive when it breaks/resets.
    M&P: gritty takeup, fairly clean break, but indistinct reset.
    XD: smooth takeup, indistinct break or reset.

I prefer the Glock and XD triggers over the M&P. They are very different however: and it takes me some time to transition from one to the other.
    I Have an XD 45 in 4 and 5" I find them both ergonomic, well balanced and easy to shoot.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(York County)

Striker fired pistols all have different triggers, and you will get varying opinions on all of them.

I prefer the XD out of the three you mentioned. All three are reliable guns. Very reliable. I prefer the XD because of three things:
    1. The grip angle and ergonomics are the best fit for me
    2. The XD trigger, although the break does not give a distinguishable "glass rod" break, felt lighter and much smoother. I find the reset very obvious. YMMV but all the XD's I have shot were identical and the reset is good for me.
    3. I shoot better with them.

As for the trigger, it was very easy to quickly become very familiar with it.

After shooting a Glock, it was obvious that they were not for me. The grip angle, the heavier trigger, the skinny trigger guard, and that big, fat grip just never felt right. I could certainly get them to hit where I aimed them, but drills weren't pretty.

The M&P trigger was just horrible to me. I know most nowadays say don't shoot to reset, but I do. Gritty pull and no idea when she's ready to go again. I did not enjoy shooting the M&P at all.

Both my Glock and M&P trigger woes (or most any gun) could be fixed via mods or a gunsmith. That said, as I carry most of my pistols, I want to keep them original for liability reasons, but that's another topic.

So, the XD, as-is, just worked for me. I carry an XD45 Compact (and an XDs if I every get it back from S.A. What works for you may be different. If you're not familiar with any of them then you should try to shoot them before buying to see what fits best for you. All three models have a loyal following, and with good reason.

(Dauphin County)

Great guns but as already stated trigger has some tension and travel. XDM's are no different. It's going to be with a spring operated firing pin. I don't mind excess trigger pull though. I have strong hands and doesn't seem hard for me. I have the XD 9 and XDM 45.

(Cumberland County)

With a little bit of extra cash (or a whole lot) you can make the trigger on an XD pretty damn nice. A trip to the SA custom shop can produce miracles, and there are cheaper fixes too.

All in all though the trigger certainly isn't terrible. Plus triggers are like everything else, it really comes down to personal preference. Go dry fire one at a gun shop (ask first). See what you think.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Clearfield County)

I have 4 and 5 inch XD45's both good guns but the difference in recoil is more then I expected, the "service" (4") is a lot snappier then the "tactical" (5"). Service's accuracy is good, tactical's is great. I also think that the 4" just doesn't look quite right, the slide is too short for the grip, 5" looks much better.

Only XD I'd recommend is the tactial .45. If you want a shorter barrel or different caliber you're way better off with a glock.

(Chester County)

I was looking at the XD Tactical 9mm. My purpose for it would be for steel and other action shooting competitions. Maybe future IDPA events too, but more so for competitions with not as strict rules.

It's a lot like the pick-up truck discussion; however we all have different hand strength, different size, finger length, etc. Find a friend that has each or friends that have one of them, OR a rental place. YOU shoot each, as someone said earlier..."they are all good firearms and it's an individual thing from that base".

To me...cost is close enough to not really matter. And...any firearm can be "worked"...ie...you or someone can work on the trigger functions to fit what YOU need.

Sgt Steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast