Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Scotia Range Question.

How long will Scotia Range be closed for lead removal and repairs? Also I am into shooting airguns. Not your standard Red Rider BB guns. Can I use the shotgun range or area outside the fenced in range to shoot as that is closed?

(Centre County)

Default Re: Scotia Range Question.

I have not heard a time line for the reopening of the ranges. I would check with the rangemaster before using the ahotgun ranges for anything except shotguns. Because the main ranges are closed, they may allow some leeway in shooting an air rifle.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Scotia Range Question.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentwind View Post
    How long will Scotia Range be closed for lead removal and repairs? Also I am into shooting airguns. Not your standard Red Rider BB guns. Can I use the shotgun range or area outside the fenced in range to shoot as that is closed?
    I'm also into pellet shooting for routine practice but I shoot CO2 pistols.

FWIW, if you're not allowed to use that range, or want to try something different, you can shoot shorter distances at smaller targets and it's still pretty good practice, I think.

For fun and convenience, I shoot a CO2 pistol at 10 yds. in my basement, rapid fire, at post-it notes as targets. It's pretty good practice. For pistol, grip it as you would for a real gun with recoil management, recruiting the same muscles, and it develops those muscles along with refining technique. If I'm not too busy, I shoot every day. There's no way I can go to the range every day.

I'm not really into rifles, but I assume the same concept would work. If you can't get the distance, downsize the target and shoot in your yard (if your township allows that) or in the basement. Make the target as small as you want to in order to simulate the same MOA error at the shorter distance. For a rifle at short distances, that might mean one hole groups. So shoot for one hole groups.