Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default So, I'm writing a query letter for my novel(s), input appreciated. =)

I'm writing my agent query letter, it's a letter that tries to get an agent interested enough in your manuscript/novel that they'll ask for a read (full or partial, usually partial at first). Basically, you send this out to literary agents and then, if upon reading your book, they think it's marketable, they represent you and your works to publishers (pretty much the only way to get a book deal these days). It consists of three parts, the "hook" (a short tag-line of sorts that hooks the reader into the story, condensing the larger elements down into an interesting super-brief synopsis), the "synopsis" (an expanded form of the hook where the larger plot points and the general theme of the story are explored) and the "bio" which is supposed to be about yourself (as it pertains to writing). Since I've never been published, I took some of the advice I read and chose to use this space to explain the literary universe that I am writing about and more information on the book and its sequels. Let me know what you think.

The Bastard Chronicles

One is a force of nature, the other is an aberration of it. When Darius Drake wakes up after a night out on the town to find out that he's on the verge of being caught in the hurricane that was supposed to pass the area by, he soon finds that mother nature is not the only one out to get him. An outbreak of zombies in a hurricane, the ultimate in survival horror stories.

Darius Drake, a weapon systems engineer and self-professed survivalist finds himself being hunted by zombies under the threat of the impending landfall of Hurricane Rita. As he embarks on a journey through the already storm-ravaged New Orleans searching for safety and shelter, his newfound canine companion and a band of strangers they encounter while searching for shelter from the pounding rain, fierce winds and flesh-eating zombies are forced to face not only the dangers that are barreling down on them, but also the conflicts between each other. Drake, a man whose first person account of the incident brings the story to life, finds himself with more responsibility for others than he ever wanted and a determination that everyone gets out alive. But the real world had other plans.

The Bastard Chronicles is a 62,000 word novel, the first in a three book series that details the events during the hurricane and a subsequent investigation into something larger and more sinister than a zombie outbreak that threatens to tear apart our very way of life and everything we thought we knew about the world and our existence. In a broader sense, this novel and the two sequels are the beginnings of a larger literary universe based on the principles of Dr. Stanley Milgram's “Small World Experiment” or a sort of six degrees of separation where there are generally no incidental characters as everyone is interconnected by lines of people that may or may not be visible to them. The challenges and dangers the characters face are merely exciting and vivid backdrops for the human exploration of finding courage, hope, love, strength, instinct and confronting darkness and disaster both externally and within. Even a relatively minor character in one story has their own story to tell or plays their own part in the stories of others, sometimes directly and sometimes separated by a very thin human thread. The two sequels to the Bastard Chronicles are currently being written semi-concurrently while the time line and story notes for all of the interconnected and related characters and tales are also being chronicled to ensure continuity and accuracy. Although The Bastard Chronicles is my first novel, my writing experience ranges from amateur technical briefs, essays and reviews on things ranging from constitutional law to firearms and tactics to computer and network technology published or submitted via the internet.

I'd be happy to send you a complete copy of the manuscript for your review. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.
    Last edited by NineseveN; May 18th, 2008 at 03:03 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: So, I'm writing a query letter for my novel(s), input appreciated. =)

I'm rooting for the zombies, cuz anyone named "Darius Drake" is asking to have his ass kicked.

(Hopefully you didn't name him after a family member, or I will develop a bad case of foot in mouth disease!)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Washington County)

Default Re: So, I'm writing a query letter for my novel(s), input appreciated. =)

Sounds like something I'd read. However, to pique the interest of a potential publisher, I might go with something like " seething with forbidden eroticism, the controversial new book that was banned in seven countries." It doesn't really matter if it's seething with anything, get your foot in the door. Since you have a hurricane, "ripped from todays headlines" might work too. And since zombies have become a metaphor for the sheeple of today, "politically charged" might work. Good luck!

Maybe you don't hang around at the right places...but zombies...wow.

Can we presume that the zombies are clearly made out to look like minions of our many Departments of the USGOV (perhaps in the future)?

I mean, are the zombies going door to door confiscating guns?

(Perry County)

Just make sure your book doesn't put out false zombie information. Be sure to read Zombie Survival Guide. You wouldn't want to create a misinformed public when the zombie apocalypse happens

(Allegheny County)

Sounds alot like an i am legend clone.

(Allegheny County)

Best of luck there Mr. Nine............
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Berks County)

Please, please, please change your lead character's name. "Darius Drake" sounds like the poster-child for a homosexual lovefest.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Banana View Post
    Just make sure your book doesn't put out false zombie information. Be sure to read Zombie Survival Guide. You wouldn't want to create a misinformed public when the zombie apocalypse happens
    Sitting on a shelf behind me as we speak.

Hilarious book IMHO.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NineseveN View Post
    Sitting on a shelf behind me as we speak.

Hilarious book IMHO.
    Max learned a lot from his father, Mel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast