Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Wink NEW SIG MK25 OWNER (Care, Maintenance, Etc.)

Hello all,

I am now the proud owner of a Sig MK25. I've taken it to the range a few times since I've gotten it. I am thoroughly impressed with this pistol.

Now a little history. I've shot/owned primarily polymer, striker fired pistols. This is the first all metal pistol I have ever owned and only the second I've ever shot. I learned a hard lesson about shooting dirty ammo and keeping the back of the barrel clean. I had a bunch of gunk stuck to the back of the barrel that almost locked the gun up. A little scrubbing and the barrel now unlocks from the slide easily.

Outside of the common sense stuff and what's stated in the manual, is there anything I should know about about maintaining this pistol? Should I use grease instead of oil? Are there any wear points that I should be aware of? What are common areas of abnormal wear? Whats with the orange paint on the spring?

Default Re: NEW SIG MK25 OWNER (Care, Maintenance, Etc.)

There's no real secret to gun maintenance and for the most pert Sig is not heavily requiring it. Just keep it oiled lightly so not to attract dirt and watch where you oil it like the back of the barrel cause that's where the most carbon will be.
    The orange on the spring is to signify spring weight in 9mm and the back of the spring is painted to insure it gets installed the correct way.

Congrats, I have the same pistol.

No real secret, just keep it lubricated..the manual should give some specific directions on this.

Don't do what I did and shoot someone elses reloads through it…Mine spent about a month back at Sig because of that, but came back good as new with a new barrel, trigger job, and some other stuff.

Congrats on a fine new pistol, as most have said, regular mait is that same as most other guns, however, I would recommend using grease on the slide rails instead of oil. If you bought the pistol new, it should have come with a small tube of grease for this purpose, if not, any decent grease will do the job. Just a light application on the frame and slide rails is all you need, regular gun oil will work fine for everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeFront89 View Post
    Hello all,

I am now the proud owner of a Sig MK25. I've taken it to the range a few times since I've gotten it. I am thoroughly impressed with this pistol.

Now a little history. I've shot/owned primarily polymer, striker fired pistols. This is the first all metal pistol I have ever owned and only the second I've ever shot. I learned a hard lesson about shooting dirty ammo and keeping the back of the barrel clean. I had a bunch of gunk stuck to the back of the barrel that almost locked the gun up. A little scrubbing and the barrel now unlocks from the slide easily.

Outside of the common sense stuff and what's stated in the manual, is there anything I should know about about maintaining this pistol? Should I use grease instead of oil? Are there any wear points that I should be aware of? What are common areas of abnormal wear? Whats with the orange paint on the spring?
    Here you go:

(Franklin County)

Not to disagree with the video, but a couple of observations:

- CLP is a Cleaner/Lubrication/Preservative all in one. I believe it was developed for the military, to provide a single multi purpose product (didn't want to provide several cleaning products). However, there are better products for each of these purposes (clean, lube, protect/preserve). Those who clean at home/on a bench can find many better products for each purpose.

- The guy in the video really went overboard with the TW25 on the rails, IMO. The purpose of the grease is to avoid friction/wear between two metal surfaces, which only requires a very thin coating. I have experienced too much TW25 pushing out of the slide when firing... makes the pistol slippery (and messy).

We all have our own slightly varied cleaning/lubricating practices... not criticizing, just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Posit View Post
    Not to disagree with the video, but a couple of observations:

- CLP is a Cleaner/Lubrication/Preservative all in one. I believe it was developed for the military, to provide a single multi purpose product (didn't want to provide several cleaning products). However, there are better products for each of these purposes (clean, lube, protect/preserve). Those who clean at home/on a bench can find many better products for each purpose.

- The guy in the video really went overboard with the TW25 on the rails, IMO. The purpose of the grease is to avoid friction/wear between two metal surfaces, which only requires a very thin coating. I have experienced too much TW25 pushing out of the slide when firing... makes the pistol slippery (and messy).

We all have our own slightly varied cleaning/lubricating practices... not criticizing, just sayin'.
    Agreed. I annotated that in the video as well.

I just put CLP in my cleaning videos because it's fool proof; which is what most new gun owners searching for a "how do I clean this new fangled first gun of mine" video need---simple. There are certainly other gee wiz products out there but CLP gets the job done and is widely available.

(Lancaster County)

When I purchased my first sig I also purchased this video and found it to be very helpful.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-saue..._p-series.html