Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Law questions

(Somerset County)

Default Law questions

Hi, I am new here and after searching many areas for some answers I have a few questions that I can use some help.
    In 1983 in Maryland I was given Probation before judgement "PBJ" for theft I don't remember much about the case due to my parents handling the process with the attorney ect. But I am assuming it was a felony offense due to the 5000.00 in restitution I paid.
    I have been living in pay for 20 years, about 10 years ago I had a friend who worked in a sporting goods store check to see if I could purchase a handgun and was denied. In September of this year I filed for an expungement and was approved, so far I have received compliance paperwork from the states attorney and the CJIS, I have not received the state police or court compliance papers yet.
    Now the questions...
    1. Will the court expungement compliance paperwork state if all civil rights are restored?
    2. Will the expungement by itself be enough to restore rights?
    3. If rights are still blocked do I have to petition the courts in Maryland or Pa for rights restoration or both?
    4. If the state restores rights will the Feds honor that?
    5. What about the chances I can get an LTCF if rights are restored.
    I appreciate any info you can help with, I am doing this expungement with out an attorney, if I need to petition for rights restoration then I will seek an attorney for this.
    I have been wanting to do this for 28 years and just recently realized how to go about the expungement and that I was even eligible for it. Due to recent break in attempt on my house I feel the need to get some protection.
    Thank you for your help.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Law questions

If i were you, i'd consult a qualified attorney to handle this for you. They will be able to answer your questions.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Law questions

I doubt you will find anyone here that knows much about Maryland law, probably be better off on a Maryland forum. I would however look into the "PBJ", it sounds like it may be similar to either ARD or PWV here in Pa. which are basically taking probation and/or a fine without having a conviction on your record. If you complete the requirements then the case is dropped. If that is what happened to you then you may not even have a criminal record but there may be a record of the arrest that is messing you up if pics can't see the outcome. Maybe try calling the Clerk of Courts at the Courthouse where this happened and see if they can get you a copy of your records.