Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default No where good to hunt for non locals

I just moved here from Kansas. New to area. Tried the state game lands with no success excpet seeing a few doe the size of a black lab. Im hunting western Pa. anyone have any good places they know of?????

Default Re: No where good to hunt for non locals

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield724 View Post
    I just moved here from Kansas. New to area. Tried the state game lands with no success excpet seeing a few doe the size of a black lab. Im hunting western Pa. anyone have any good places they know of?????
    You are pretty unlikely to find any of those Kansas sized cows mulling around here in PA on a regular basis no matter where ya go...

Keep trying, they are there, but getting very educated this time of the season, the warm weather also has em sitting tight, once we get the white stuff on the ground, get out right away and have a place already lined up so your there first light..

I think the ones around my place are already sitting tight in the unharvest corn fields... Last night right after dark on my way home I saw 4 deer along the edge of a corn field..... eating grass no less.... tells me all I need to know!

Good luck and stay positive... it tough 4 days in, and grows tougher the rest of the season.. hope for snow, and people wondering aimlessly of Saturday to increase your odds.

I've been hunting corn field and woods edges all week, and have not seen one deer... I know they are there though, just in one spot alone I counted 8 rubs without moving with my binos.
    Last edited by tollster; December 5th, 2013 at 05:05 PM.
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Butler County)

http://m.dcnr.state.pa.us/StateParks...il?ICSORG=6215

Or try the game lands near fredonia

(Montgomery County)

Once again I'm going to advocate bow hunting...although I really shouldn't because I enjoy the peace and quiet in the woods during early bow . Wouldn't want a bunch of people converting and disturbing my peace .

Won't find anything here on public land that compares to Kansas though....unless you get really lucky and snag a monster Buck....they are out there on public land but they don't get that big being stupid.....they dig in like ticks and won't move unless you step on them.

Once small game comes in mid October deer hunting on public land gets tougher....have to put a lot of time in and a lot of scouting to put yourself in a good position.

(Lawrence County)

If you can't find a farm to hunt around here you're not trying very hard, lol. Most farmers want the deer dead, less deer, less crop damage. It's kind of late to start looking now though. You've got some good deer areas all around you, take a ride around Mercer, New Wilmington, Pulaski, etc. and look for woods with no posted signs. Stop at the nearest farm and ask. 9 times out of 10 if they don't want you hunting they post the property.

It definitely helps to be local but I guarantee if you spend an afternoon knocking on doors you'll find someone to let you hunt. Most people aren't against hunting around here, if they post the property it's usually because they like to hunt it themselves. If you take a deer from someones property go back and offer them a piece of backstrap or something, that shit goes a long ways.

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: No where good to hunt for non locals

I just had a quick thought on reading the title of your post: You can hunt for non-locals all you want over here. We don't much care for 'em. You can hunt our liberals too if'n ya want to. We don't like them either.

(Mercer County)

I went out yesterday after work, I always was worried about hunting on someone's property I didnt know because I did not want to make any land owners mad. Yesterday I took a chance and saw a nice patch of woods with no trucks around. I grabbed my gun and jacket from my car and went out. I got into the woods at 4:20 and it gets dark at 5. I saw 3 deer (1 buck, 2 doe) at 4:35. I could not get a shot on the buck so I shot at the doe, 250 yards running shot in the brush. Nailed it!!! This was my first year hunting with a .308 and I was very impressed by the exit wound it left that I discovered while I was butchering it. 3.5" wide!!!! I am a life long fan of the .308's now, Great Accuracy, crazy stopping power, barely and kickback at all.

If you want some place to hunt, try asking a farmer in person, share your kill with him, offer to help him out in the summer, gives him a pocket knife at C'mas over some small talk...

Many country folks have been turned off by outa towners over the years...
    do to poaching, pollution, and the lack of appreciation...

Once you get permission, work at keeping it!
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

Head East...get in some big woods.
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/allegheny

(Butler County)

Red face Re: No where good to hunt for non locals

I went out yesterday after work, I always was worried about hunting on someone's property I didnt know because I did not want to make any land owners mad. Yesterday I took a chance and saw a nice patch of woods with no trucks around. I grabbed my gun and jacket from my car and went out. I got into the woods at 4:20 and it gets dark at 5. I saw 3 deer (1 buck, 2 doe) at 4:35. I could not get a shot on the buck so I shot at the doe, 250 yards running shot in the brush. Nailed it!!! This was my first year hunting with a .308 and I was very impressed by the exit wound it left that I discovered while I was butchering it. 3.5" wide!!!! I am a life long fan of the .308's now, Great Accuracy, crazy stopping power, barely and kickback at all.
    Trespassing is always a good idea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast