Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Best option for home defense/ carry weapon?

Ok so I'm in a bit of a predicament. Im in a position where I need to sell most of my firearms. I'm not in trouble where I can't legally own them I just had some unforeseen $$$ issues. I'm wondering what you guys think would be the best option for a CC/HD weapon? I'm considering going with a Glock 30sf. I like the option of easy concealabilty and the option to put a G21 mag in it for HD. So what say you PAFO dwellers?
    "It's all in the reflexes" Jack Burton

(Chester County)

Default Re: Best option for home defense/ carry weapon?

I think your on the right track, its tough to go wrong with a Glock as far as reliability and a proven platform. It also tough to go wrong with a .45, put the 2 together and you have a keeper.

(Montgomery County)

I agree with your logic. I'm thinking either a Glock 19, 23, or 30/sf would serve you well for all of your purposes.

Good luck and I hope things turn around for you.

(Mercer County)

That's a good option. I try to push people toward higher capacity weapons when they're looking for a home defense gun. When you hear that bump in night, you will most likely investigate (even though you shouldn't) in your underwear. The only ammunition you will have on you is the ammo that's in the gun. This is why I recommend having a firearm with at least ten round capacity. The more the merrier.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

i have the answer. the absolute best carry/home defense, all around gun is...crap battery dying on computer, gotta go.

to be continued...
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    That's a good option. I try to push people toward higher capacity weapons when they're looking for a home defense gun. When you hear that bump in night, you will most likely investigate (even though you shouldn't) in your underwear. The only ammunition you will have on you is the ammo that's in the gun. This is why I recommend having a firearm with at least ten round capacity. The more the merrier.
    Why would I take off my pajamas and search the house in my underwear only?

If it was strictly for HD I would say go with a full size firearm that holds 15+ rounds. Then get a compact, compact single stack or subcompact carry firearm. If you could swing two firearms.

Fore a firearm that has to serve double duty I would lean toward the G19 or similar as to me more rounds of 9mm are better than less of another caliber when talking compacts.

This philosophy of more rounds on the firearm are also leaning me toward a redi-mag for my AR but that is another topic altogether.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Allegheny County)

I would go with whatever you have in .45 caliber. The mere turbulence created by the flying bullet can rip off limbs. If its shot from a 1911, the effect is even more apparent. Now if you REALLY want to do damage with one, actually hit the target, but just shooting in the general direction is most often sufficient.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zlaya View Post
    I would go with whatever you have in .45 caliber. The mere turbulence created by the flying bullet can rip off limbs. If its shot from a 1911, the effect is even more apparent. Now if you REALLY want to do damage with one, actually hit the target, but just shooting in the general direction is most often sufficient.
    Well that really helps. Thanks to the other members for the realistic advice I appreciate it.
    "It's all in the reflexes" Jack Burton

(Montgomery County)

Home defense is actually a fairly dynamic topic. You need to consider lighting, cramped quarters, distance, stopping power, penetration/over penetration, sight lines etc.

I think you need to really look at your situation. Walk your house a few times with an eye on the likely scenarios for defending your home. Are you going to be holed up in the dark? If so, maybe night sights are critical. Do you have large very dark expanses of space that require a light? If so, look for a weapon with rails...or forego those for a really high quality light. Kids rooms bordering corners where confrontations may take place? Perhaps a 9mm or .380 to reduce penetration?

At the end of the day I can't make a great recommendation because I don't know enough about the guns you have to choose from. But, I can tell you I think the answer will jump out at you if you start focusing on scenarios. I have a home defense/carry gun that seemed to fit well for me. Its got night sights and a rail, high capacity, and is .40 caliber. Most importantly I can shoot it very well.

I guess this isn't really the answer you were looking for, but maybe it'll help at least a little.

Quote Originally Posted by zlaya View Post
    this is either a joke or a quote from some one on the view
    Montani Semper Liberi

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast