Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Serbu Super Shorty

Hi all,
    Does anyone have one of these shotguns. I am contemplating one of these or a SBR along the lines of a Kitty Kat. Speaking of the Kitty Kat, I wish to purchase a seperate lower first, and then save for the Kitty Kat upper. One: is this allowed, and Two: I would be required to register the LOWER that the Kitty Kat upper would be installed on right? Or, do I need to request permission to "manufacture" a short bbl rifle? This is a new area for me, so I apologize if this is a redundant question.
    Thanks in advance,
    Jules

(Erie County)

Default Re: Serbu Super Shorty

Serbu's are nice, but quite expensive....
    Not sure if anyone has one on here

You will be "manufacturing" a SBR. The Lower is what you are actually going to be registering, not the upper. You file to manufacture/register the SBR.

(Fulton County)

well if you own a AR now i would NOT but a upper with anything less than 16 inches until you have a pistol or SBR registered lower for legal reasons.

I was planning on getting the lower first...
    Jules

(Erie County)

What fulton is referring to is the famous "conspiracy to violate the NFA" People will mention that when you buy AK parts kits and they come with F/A parts. Most people will suggest throwing away those parts. Having a SBR upper but a non-SBR registered lower. And the list goes on......

I got the gist of his message. I certainly would be tempted to "throw it on my existing lower just to see what it looked like" though. And I think it would look stupid with a full sized stock. LOL Thanks guys....this is a thought in progress, with money being the biggest factor right now. I have a few guns in line before this project, but I can always dream right?
    Thanks again,
    Jules

(Philadelphia County)

Just follow everyone's advice and be extra careful when dealing with NFA items. We can debate the legality and politics of it all day and night but the ATF is not friendly and there's serious hell to pay for violating the NFA.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

Never a problem with me, I am an 03 FFL holder and am aware of the strict BATF policies with NFA items. Thanks.
    Jules
    Last edited by ar15jules; January 15th, 2007 at 01:43 AM.

(Erie County)

Millcreek or Erie or PSP?

You should get a Post-86 full auto AR then. Then SBR it. That would be really nice, and a full auto gun doesn't cost much more $50-100 than a semi

(Montgomery County)

I have a Serbu Shorty, and absolutely love it.
    it goes with me to every range that I go to that allows shotgun fire.

I have installed a Knoxx Breachers grip, which is a recoil reducing grip setup, it makes you able to shoot 3" magnum slug loads ONE handed, with 0% pain.

the knoxx breachers grip makes it about 1" longer on the grip end, its not noticeable.

Serbu makes the shorty on both the Maverick 88 model, and the remington 870 in 12ga, and the Mossberg 500 in 20ga.

the mavrick and 870 share something in common...a safety on the triggerguard, the moss 500 has it on the top rear of the receiver, Mark likes the utility of the triggerguard safety.
    Also, the Serbu shorty is available in both AOW or SBS models, so the SBS is a $200 tax, and can mount a buttstock, the $5 AOW can never have a buttstock on it without reregistering it as a SBS.

if you are a dealer, dealer price is lighter than the public listed price, and Mark is a heck of a guy.

also, on the kitty cat upper, SBR the lower first, then get the upper, best way about it. also, for general use, you wont like the Kitty kat, its neat, but of limited utility unless you are using it to show off on a full auto gun.
    its like being hit square across the fore head every shot with a flyswatter, the muzzle blast is nasty.

Overall a 11.5" upper will have much better utility, I have one on my SBR, and tho shorter uppers go on it on occasion, the 11.5 basically lives there.

also, DeltaII5: full auto trumps all other classifications, you cant SBR a full auto AR15 unless you use the gun with a DIAS or a LL, if you pull the regged MG parts out of a semi gun with a short barrel, thats the only way to have a shorty barrel once the sear is out:-)
    if its a RR gun, like a factory colt FA, then no SBR needed, MGs have no barrel length limitation.
    Last edited by JayBell; January 15th, 2007 at 04:57 PM.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast