Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Browning 1911-22 A1 pistol

I purchased a Browning 1911-22 A1 (from Bud's) and 4 spare magazines (from CDNN) in June of 2013. To date I have about 1200 rounds (mostly CCI Mini-Mags and Standard Velocity) through it with absolutely no failures or problems of any kind. It's a great little pistol, beautifully fabricated and nicely finished. It's manual-of-arms and cleaning break-down are exactly identical to a full-sized 1911 pistol.

All of its controls work crisply and exactly as you would expect - there are no surprises with this little Browning. It seems smaller than its 7/8 scale, but fits my averaged size lean hands comfortably. At 15 ounces it is very light and the scaled sights seem small (for my aged eyes). It has been fitted with a magazine disconnector, an unnecessary lawyer-driven "safety" device also found in the Browning Hi-power and the Ruger MkIII (among others). It's better implemented here, causing neither trigger drag nor pistol break-down problems. (PS - you can fire the pistol sans magazine by pressing in on the release button.)

I like the clean look of this little gun. There are no "legal-speak" roll-marks nor gaudy white-paint labels. It's 1911-A1 style arched mainspring housing is very comfortable. I thought it's short trigger might be a problem, but that is not so - this is a comfortable and good looking pistol to shoot, exactly as it it comes from Browning.

(Lancaster County)

Thumbs up Re: Browning 1911-22 A1 pistol

That is a nice looking shooter you have there. Is it all aluminum aside from the barrel?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Browning 1911-22 A1 pistol

They are great pistols. A little pricey, but I am beginning to think worth the money. I always wanted the old, little Llama .22 that was out years ago, and have the .380 version, but this looks like a slick little .22.

(Montgomery County)

GotDogs1 - the frame and slide are machined from aluminum, the trigger is aluminum, the barrel, bushing, magazine and small parts are of steel, the recoil spring guide is plastic and the grips are laminated hardwood.

It's not a target pistol and it is not really a good 1911 training piece. But, it is a lovely plinker and fun field gun and an easy piece to carry. It works flawlessly, it's fun to shoot and it's easy to break down and clean.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for taking the time to post about it.

It's refreshing to come to a gun forum and learn about guns for a change.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

They are sweet pistols, first seen one of these at the NRA convention in Downtown Pittsburgh. I couldn't afford one at the time they came out, so I snagged the GSG 1911/22 instead - which is full 1:1 scale with many real 1911 parts usable on the GSG.

Meanwhile, the Browning version remains on the bucket list.

Would be interesting to determine if sales figs for Browning would tempt them to make a Hipower in .22LR.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Lancaster County)

Smile Re: Browning 1911-22 A1 pistol

I see Browning is also doing a composite framed version in a bi-tone. Black slide on a desert tan frame. Looks pretty cool as well. I think I may have to take the plunge after the holidays.
    http://www.browning.com/products/cat...tid=808#center
    Last edited by GotDogs1; December 7th, 2013 at 02:43 AM.

(Lancaster County)

I really enjoy mine.wife got it for me when they were on sale at shydas for 499 with one mag and a 500 round box of Remington ammo.they are fun to shoot and always seem to been a smile to the face of who ever is shooting it or handling it.crazywolf

(Montgomery County)

Crazywolf,

Your wife is one Hell of a shopper! If she no longer smiles over your handling, please have her contact me.