Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default To gut or not to gut...

...that is the question.

December 16th, 2013 I am getting a STAR ankle replacement (Scandinavian Total Ankle Replacement)

I bought a deer cart so I can hunt further in the woods instead of just the edge.

The question is should I gut the deer after tagging it or wait until I get back in the woods with the cart?

I'm thinking about critters, hunters stealing my harvest and the hour or so it would take me to walk to my vehicle to get the deer cart and back again.
    Last edited by RugerNiner; November 30th, 2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: clarify
    http://www.slcfsa.com/index.html
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1130&dateline=1165613  693Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: To gut or not to gut...

I'd wait, make it harder for some asshole that decided to take off with it.

Why not just take the cart in with you? You could put your pack and other gear on it.

Me, if I were going to steal someone else's harvest (I never would, but if), I wouldn't care if it were gutted or not, so that wouldn't factor into my decision here. If anything, if I stumbled across a downed deer, I would likely hang around (at least for a short time) in case someone was looking for it or just to say hi and congratulate someone and offer assistance if they needed.

(Mercer County)

Better to gut right away.

From the Game Manual

Field-dress deer as soon as possible to ensure rapid loss of body
    heat, prevent surface bacteria from growing, and maintain overall
    quality of the meat.

also it is easier to gut when fresh kill before animal stiffens up.

(Bucks County)

I'd really try to avoid leaving the animal for an extended period. Can you take the cart back into the woods before you hunt and hide it near your stand? Have a buddy you can call or radio to bring the cart?

(Allegheny County)

If I had a known physical limitation (temporary or permanent), I would be hesitant to trek too deeply into the woods for a variety of safety reasons. My recommendation would be to wait until your ankle is closer to 100%. Then you won't be faced with the interestingly odd situation of whether or not to gut a deer before you leave it for two hours to retrieve your cart.

But to answer your original question: I would have no problem leaving the deer 'ungutted' and tagged to get the cart, given how cool the weather has been recently.
    Last edited by ettorment1916; November 30th, 2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: clarification
    If gun control worked, Chicago would be like Mayberry, instead of Thunderdome.

From a quality of meat standpoint you want to gut as soon as possible. Once an animal is dying a number of hormones such as adrenaline are released. This is a survival mechanism in all mammals (including human). The hormones have an effect on the quality and taste of some game animals.

In addition, deer are easier to clean while they are still warm and before rigor begins. The longer the carcass waits the more rigor and freezing temps will cause you to work harder.

A dead, ungutted but fresh kill may seem like a "fair find" to the hunter that stumbles across it. If I find a fresh kill that has been gutted it is obvious that the hunter will return soon. I would assume he/she went to get help. Of course as long as it is tagged no ethical hunter should have any question.

(Westmoreland County)

I'd walk the cart in Sunday and chain it to a tree.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by rellisonii View Post
    Better to gut right away.

From the Game Manual

Field-dress deer as soon as possible to ensure rapid loss of body
    heat, prevent surface bacteria from growing, and maintain overall
    quality of the meat.

also it is easier to gut when fresh kill before animal stiffens up.

^^^^^This.

I suspect you will not be ready to go put post surgery. Don't push it. Listen to your surgeon and physical therapist.

(Lancaster County)

The surgery is in 16 days, can't see how I can hurt it any more than it already does.

I'll be going in the woods on a narrow trail and coming out of the woods by the way of cut down fields.
    The trails are way to narrow for the cart.
    http://www.slcfsa.com/index.html
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1130&dateline=1165613  693Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast