Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal?

Default Is this normal?

So this is the stock A2-style flash hider I took off my M4. There appears to be heavy corrosion on the inside of it.

I was considering buying a government-profile 14.5" M4 barrel to rebuild my upper with, and I'm curious if this flash hider will work with the new build or if I'll need a new flash hider as well.

The flash hider is a bit more than 1.5" and would become permanently attached to the barrel so it's not a NFA rifle.

I know some people never remove their flash hiders, so they're probably in worse condition than mine. But I want to be completely sure.

Default Re: Is this normal?

The blue colored crud appears to be a thread locker of some sort... you only get blue corrosion on brass/copper...unless it is copper fouling that has turned...but the inside of the birdcage looks like iron oxide...which should be cleaned off... i would re-use the same flash hider or i am sure you can find one on the cheap since many folks change them out. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

(Lawrence County)

Looks like you've used a bore solvent or copper remover and you didn't wipe out the FS. I bet it would chip right off.

Lycanknifebladethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

So I'm going to go ahead and clean this flash hider out good and go ahead and put it on a 14.5" barrel permanently. Trying to turn my Colt M4 LE6920 into a M4A1 semiautomatic "replica."

14.5" barrel with the 1.5" A2 flash hider permanently and the A2 FSB, a KAC quad rail, TA31RCO-M150 ACOG, Matech BUIS and a standard M4-style stock. I figure what the hell - my rifle already says M4 CARBINE on the side. Might as well make it a semi-legit one. And a real legit one if I can find a legal transferable RDIAS and someone who can mill out the wall Colt put in the lower to prevent an auto sear from being installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Solaran_X View Post
    So I'm going to go ahead and clean this flash hider out good and go ahead and put it on a 14.5" barrel permanently. Trying to turn my Colt M4 LE6920 into a M4A1 semiautomatic "replica."

14.5" barrel with the 1.5" A2 flash hider permanently and the A2 FSB, a KAC quad rail, TA31RCO-M150 ACOG, Matech BUIS and a standard M4-style stock. I figure what the hell - my rifle already says M4 CARBINE on the side. Might as well make it a semi-legit one. And a real legit one if I can find a legal transferable RDIAS and someone who can mill out the wall Colt put in the lower to prevent an auto sear from being installed.
    Just get yourself a Slide Fire Solutions stock! Its as close as you can get with out spending thousands.....
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Just get yourself a Slide Fire Solutions stock! Its as close as you can get with out spending thousands.....
    I really hate how the SlideFire stocks look - and how you lose the functionality of the adjustable stock. Now if SlideFire teamed up with Magpul...that could get me interested in their products.

theres a new bumpfire trigger system comming out foe $500 and it uses a 3 position selector

(Blair County)

A 14.5-inch barrel is measured to the end, including the threaded end in the length. The threads, after adding a crush washer, are about 0.5 inches. A stock GI flash measures about 1.7-inch. 14.5 + 1.7 = 16.2. When this is shortened 0.5 inches, the assembly is less than 16-inches. I would check this out.
    Steve

I was totally expecting to see a picture of a growth somewhere it shouldn't be.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWag View Post
    A 14.5-inch barrel is measured to the end, including the threaded end in the length. The threads, after adding a crush washer, are about 0.5 inches. A stock GI flash measures about 1.7-inch. 14.5 + 1.7 = 16.2. When this is shortened 0.5 inches, the assembly is less than 16-inches. I would check this out.
    Steve
    I forgot about that. Which is why 14.7" barrels exist. Thanks for reminding me before I accidentally committed a felony.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    theres a new bumpfire trigger system comming out foe $500 and it uses a 3 position selector
    http://249development.us/johnsann/Ta...re_Control_wp/

Is this what you're talking about?
    Last edited by Solaran_X; November 29th, 2013 at 08:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast