Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: dui and buying

Default Re: dui and buying

Quote Originally Posted by rywolf View Post
    I've had 2 dui's myself in life. One when I was 19 at .14 and one when I was 25, the breath test was .12, however, not understanding what the officer was instructing me to do, I refused the blood test and was charged at the highest rate. So, reading through these posts, and being someone who is damned for life, I have still managed to become a productive part of society. I would have some peace of mind though knowing I could defend my home should an intruder force their way in with something other than a kitchen knife or a bow. That being said, I realize that my actions had consequences, which I am paying for the rest of my life. However, go back 40 years ago, dui's were paperwork and not money makers. Kids were told to get their a$s home and not to be seen again that night. The system is also slightly unfair. For someone to get a dui on a bicycle in their own driveway just doesn't seem fair. They weren't in the street, yet officers were called to the house for loud music. I witnessed this trial. I felt bad for the guy. Heard the testimony on both sides. I also feel that offenders who offer a breath sample, but not a blood sample, shouldn't be considered for refusal and charged at the highest BAC. Just didn't seem fair, and in hindsight, I wish I'd given the blood, for all I know I could have been under the limit.
    No argument from me. I think its ridiculous that a crime that has nothing to do with firearms becomes a disqualifier and negates the 2nd Amendment.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    No argument from me. I think its ridiculous that a crime that has nothing to do with firearms becomes a disqualifier and negates the 2nd Amendment.
    I remember back in the late 80's early 90's there was talk, not sure if a law passed or not, that if you got caught stealing gas your license would get suspended. I think the argument at the time was that law couldn't be valid because the two didn't really connect. You have the crime of theft that just happens to be tangentially related to driving a car.

I don't know if the law was passed and repealed or just never enforced or what. But if it was passed and repealed on the basis that the two aren't really connected, non-related offenses to firearms could be argued the same way.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    So do I.

However, I also think drunk driving is fundamentally no different than attempted murder and should be punished accordingly.

It's no different than firing off a bunch of rounds into a room and just getting lucky that you didn't hit anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I also think drunk driving is fundamentally no different than attempted murder and should be punished accordingly.

Really? You better think twice when taking cough medicine or allergy medicine next time you drive. Don't be part of the problem, be part of the solution.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Really? You better think twice when taking cough medicine or allergy medicine next time you drive. Don't be part of the problem, be part of the solution.
    Why? If I am sick enough to require cough medicine, I will not be out driving around - and I don't have allergies. Neither of which will make me a drunk driver anyway.

And note I said DRUNK DRIVER, not someone with the artificially low BAC to get you convicted of DUI.

Why? If I am sick enough to require cough medicine, I will not be out driving around - and I don't have allergies. Neither of which will make me a drunk driver anyway.

And note I said DRUNK DRIVER, not someone with the artificially low BAC to get you convicted of DUI.
    I guess you haven't been following the news. If the fed has its way, you WILL be convicting of DUI if you are pulled over and found to be on cough medicine/allergy medicine.

(Indiana County)

After seeing more than my fair share of deaths caused by drunk drivers, I think they should all be thrown in a hole.

I realize this is an ancient thread and most of the posters are no longer around, but for those that poo-poo drunk driving as some sort of victimless act let me tell you, it's not.
    And yes, I fully support having your rights stripped if you are too dense to not learn from your first DUI.
    I'm all for giving someone a second chance, but after that and you do it again, sorry, you are just to weak minded to be trusted in public.

Flame me all you guys want, but I get to remember the 16 year old girl with half of her skull ground away on the pavement when her head got trapped between the A post and the highway when her drunken boyfriend rolled that Toyota pickup onto it's side.

I get to remember the 6 year old that was crying on his dead mothers chest after she slammed into the windshield.
    Thankfully she had enough wits about her to have him in his car seat before she decided to take him in the car.

I've seen more than that, seems my area used to be teeming with idiots.

Something I can't stand is drunks, and I could really care less about a two or three time drunk complaining about his rights.

(Monroe County)

(Monroe County)

So do I.

However, I also think drunk driving is fundamentally no different than attempted murder and should be punished accordingly.

It's no different than firing off a bunch of rounds into a room and just getting lucky that you didn't hit anybody.
    I agree as long as they prove your abilities are impaired and not just some arbitrary BAC number. It needs to be a combo of the two.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    After seeing more than my fair share of deaths caused by drunk drivers, I think they should all be thrown in a hole.

I realize this is an ancient thread and most of the posters are no longer around, but for those that poo-poo drunk driving as some sort of victimless act let me tell you, it's not.
    And yes, I fully support having your rights stripped if you are too dense to not learn from your first DUI.
    I'm all for giving someone a second chance, but after that and you do it again, sorry, you are just to weak minded to be trusted in public.

Flame me all you guys want, but I get to remember the 16 year old girl with half of her skull ground away on the pavement when her head got trapped between the A post and the highway when her drunken boyfriend rolled that Toyota pickup onto it's side.

I get to remember the 6 year old that was crying on his dead mothers chest after she slammed into the windshield.
    Thankfully she had enough wits about her to have him in his car seat before she decided to take him in the car.

I've seen more than that, seems my area used to be teeming with idiots.

Something I can't stand is drunks, and I could really care less about a two or three time drunk complaining about his rights.

No flame here. Lost two caes to drunk drivers in one year. Victimless my ass.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast