Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default First compound bow: Bear Encounter?

I have been seeing a lot of nice bucks around my area and I think it's time for me to buy a bow. I never hunted with a bow so if I buy it now I think I will be comfortable enough to hunt with it next season. I want something that is a good value and it looks like the Bear Encounter is a good starter. Gander Mountain has the RTH package for $330 for their Black Friday sale. I just want to get some opinions before I make the plunge.

Does anyone have this bow that can recommend it?

I can also us suggestions on quality arrows, releases, and targets.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: First compound bow: Bear Encounter?

I love my bear bow and two of my frinds shoot bears. If the price is right that's all that matters. They will get game on the table as long as you do your part.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Lawrence County)

Do yourself a favor and don't buy a bow at Gander Mountain, buy from an archery shop. Having a bow adjusted to fit you and tuned properly is more important than which bow you buy and you're simply not going to get that at Gander Mountain. I'm not going to go into all the details again but if you look further down this page there is a thread titled "New bow" where I listed some of the reasons why.

Not sure of the best shops in Pittsburgh but Archers Edge in Robinson and Ultimate Outdoors in Plum are popular if you're close to either of those. Just about any reputable shop will let you shoot a few bows to see what you like also. If you can bump your budget up by a couple hundred you can get a much better setup also, you don't get much for $300 in the archery world. Personally, if I were looking at the best bang for the buck and keep the price down I'd be looking at PSE.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks everyone. @Jerkin a lot of people have told me to go to a pro shop but seeing how I am just getting into the sport and price is a big factor right now I will probably just buy it from Gander. I did some research and I think I will be able to tell if the person who sets me up knows their stuff. After I get into archery more and I plan on buying a more expensive bow from a pro shop.

I am interested in your opinions on quality arrows, releases, and targets. Especially the release. I want a wrist type strap with a nice trigger seeing how I'm a shooter. For targets I was thinking about getting a BX22 and maybe a fake deer down the line.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by LarryD1130 View Post
    Thanks everyone. @Jerkin a lot of people have told me to go to a pro shop but seeing how I am just getting into the sport and price is a big factor right now I will probably just buy it from Gander. I did some research and I think I will be able to tell if the person who sets me up knows their stuff. After I get into archery more and I plan on buying a more expensive bow from a pro shop.

I am interested in your opinions on quality arrows, releases, and targets. Especially the release. I want a wrist type strap with a nice trigger seeing how I'm a shooter. For targets I was thinking about getting a BX22 and maybe a fake deer down the line.
    You can always go to the pro shop and get fitted and purchase elsewhere if the price is not competetive.

I highly recommend the pro shop route,sometimes it's worth a little extra to get everything right the first time.

YMMV
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Jefferson County)

I'm not an "archery guy", but I know Bear makes good products. My Bear Whitetail Hunter II compound bow that I bought for rabbit hunting in Florida back in 1988 still works great - even with it's original strings. ...does need a new perch/holder though.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by LarryD1130 View Post

There is a very good reason so many people are telling you to go to a pro shop. Buying a bow is nothing like buying a gun and not being a shooter you will not know if the bow is being fit right or not no matter how much you read about it. Chances are they're not even going to begin to fit you until you've purchased the bow anyways. Spend a little more now and you don't need to upgrade in a year or two. Get something decent and when you do want to upgrade you can sell it and recoup some cash, good luck trying to sell one of those cheap package bows.

You can buy a nicer bow, from a shop without spending much more money. I looked at the bow you are considering and wasn't impressed, unless you're a really small guy it's going to be too small for you. It's only 30 1/2" axle to axle, that's only an inch or so longer than the bow I bought for my 8 year old. Tiny bows are a bitch to shoot, the generous brace height will help but it's still going to be a wicked string angle. I'd never recommend a bow that short for a beginner, they're just too unforgiving.

Go to Lancaster Archery's website and look at the PSE line. You can get a pretty decent bow like the Vision for around $300. Add in a decent rest, sight and quiver and you're at $400 or a little more depending on what you want. Any decent shop will install the accessories, add a peep, etc. for free if you buy the bow. If you can't find a shop that sells for close to the prices on Lancaster Archery's site pm me and I'll put you in touch with a guy up here. I'm only about 1/2 hr. from the airport, it would probably be worth the ride.

Most shops will also set a few bows to your draw length and let you shoot them before you buy so you can see what you like. As far as releases I also prefer a caliper type release with a trigger. I'm currently shooting a Scott but have also used Tru Fire and T.R.U. Ball that worked well. I even had a $20 cobra for a few years that worked as well as anything. The Black Hole target you are looking at is exactly what I would recommend. Great targets and you can shoot them for years. I keep mine in the garage when I'm not shooting though so I don't know how they do out in the weather.

I got this exact bow from Cabelas about a week ago. I've shot it a lot since I bought it. I was between this and the PSE Rally, and considered a diamond infinite edge. I shot this and the PSE rally and I just really, really liked how the bear shot. Very smooth and very accurate.
    It is a good RTH package. The quiver is nice, the peep site could be upgraded if you want but it's good to go as is, same with the main site. The main site is nice enough, 3 pins, seems sturdy, but the surround for it is a plastic composite which might not stand up over time. But if you're just getting into this like I am- it will do just fine. The arrow rest is a whisker biscuit. Works great.

Honestly, if you do decide to go to gander over a bow shop, I wouldn't fret too much. If anything, I'd say to support the bow shop over a big chain- but only if they're willing to price match. If not- sorry, it's their loss- but you can always have them set up a bow for you to test shoot so you know what adjustments you'll need done. As far as adjusting the DW and DL yourself it's not too hard on this bow. Explained clearly in the manual, and it neither adjustment requires a bow press.

FYI- Dick's Sporting Goods has the same bow- the bear encounter rth going for $299 during their 3 day sale- from now 11/28 to saturday 11/30. I think their doing free shipping on the website too just incase they don't have it in-store during the 3 days.

I'd definitely recommend this bow. It's a great entry level bows and has got great reviews.

As far as a release I picked up a tru-fire release from walmart. It is adjsutable via a threaded rod and I like it a lot. Seems well built and was cheaper than anything they had at cabela's or dick's with comparable features.
    Genesis 27:3
    Support Your Local Hawaiian Shirt Enthusiasts

(Crawford County)

Encounter is a fine bow. If you wear glasses get a different peep.