Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Newbie with used 550.

I have started to get a little tired of the prices of ammo and am now trying to get started into reloading to help make shooting a little more affordable. I mostly shoot .223 in my AR, and 9mm. in my handgun. So I want to be able to load 500+ rounds in a session. I just bought a used dillon 550. It came with a case lube pad, RCBS scale, primer flip tray, RCBS powder trickler and lyman caliper. It also comes with large and small primer pick up tubes, powder measure, powder die, tool head, large and small primer bars, large and small powder bars, spent primer catcher, and full cartridge bin. I ordered the ABC's of reloading, and the lyman reloading handbook. While i'm waiting for the 550 etc and books to show up, what else do I need to get started. I'm assuming I should get a conversion kit and some dies. Is one brand better than others? Should I get carbide instead of steel? Anything else that I need or will likely want now? Where is the best place to get dies and conversion kits. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Brian

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Newbie with used 550.

definitely get carbide for the 9mm the 223 your going to need to lube anyway. I would also suggest you full length resize your 223 of your AR. Your going to need a quiet place to read those books. I can't help you with stuff for the Dillon I don't own one never have. Powder, primer and bullets come after your reading assignment.

Quote Originally Posted by 00juice View Post
    I have started to get a little tired of the prices of ammo and am now trying to get started into reloading to help make shooting a little more affordable. I mostly shoot .223 in my AR, and 9mm. in my handgun. So I want to be able to load 500+ rounds in a session. I just bought a used dillon 550. It came with a case lube pad, RCBS scale, primer flip tray, RCBS powder trickler and lyman caliper. It also comes with large and small primer pick up tubes, powder measure, powder die, tool head, large and small primer bars, large and small powder bars, spent primer catcher, and full cartridge bin. I ordered the ABC's of reloading, and the lyman reloading handbook. While i'm waiting for the 550 etc and books to show up, what else do I need to get started. I'm assuming I should get a conversion kit and some dies. Is one brand better than others? Should I get carbide instead of steel? Anything else that I need or will likely want now? Where is the best place to get dies and conversion kits. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Brian

(Bucks County)

Thumbs up Re: Newbie with used 550.

Hello Double O,

I started a reply for you - went for a link and lost the reply.

Anyhow ... call Dillon , ask for subscription to Blue Press. It's their monthly brochure and has any parts you need for your press and any monthly specials their running.

Ask them for a video for your machine if they have one - nice to see it being set-up rather then reading or guessing... 1-800-223-4570 or www.bluepress.com

If you can afford it ... I have complete tool head for each cal I shoot and a powder measure on each one ... slam, bang, test and I'm off and runnin' on another cal ... but it is a little pricey to do it my way.

When mounting ... level and ROCK solid ... operating vibration can cause differing powder charges ... you know, like if you put a scoop of something in a jar and tap the jar, it settles. I went overboard with my 650 ... plated inside of workbench with 2 x 10 and also side plated with 2 x 10 ... bolted completely thru 2 x 10's w/ long bolts, flat washers and lock nuts ... beefy and works well.

I buy most components from T + T Reloading in Easton - Stockertown, Pa ... usually better prices then most ... perhaps you've seen him at shows, which is the place to buy if you can to avoid HazMat fees ... hope this link works for you - http://216.15.64.227/?cmd=showcontact

Take Care Double O

(Chester County)

You can keep an eye on e-bay, there are conversion kits & dies on a regular basis.

For new equipment and a lot of good info, check out

http://www.brianenos.com/store/home.html

He's an authorized dealer and has slightly better prices than the catalog.

(Allegheny County)

Is there much difference in quality between lee dies and dillon? I see a lee 3 die set on ebay for in the $20something price range, and the 3 die set of dillon is in the $60 something price range. Is it worth the extra money to get the dillon dies?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 00juice View Post
    Is there much difference in quality between lee dies and dillon? I see a lee 3 die set on ebay for in the $20something price range, and the 3 die set of dillon is in the $60 something price range. Is it worth the extra money to get the dillon dies?
    ooJuice,
    Get the Dillon dies and get the carbide, get the Dillon conversions, get extra de-cap pins for station one, get extra primer tubes, get the Dillon primer flip.

Why? Because unlike others you are in a production mode to roll your own. The steel dies are made for low volume, one at a time operations. With the 550 there are 4 shells being worked with one stroke of the lever. If your machine is not so equipped get the roller handle to replace the ball.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Allegheny County)

Well,
    My used 550 came in the mail today. Being as i'm still trying to figure it all out, and don't have the manual yet. I'm gonna post some pictures of all the parts that came with it. I was hoping someone could let me know if i'm missing any parts. I realize that dies and conversion kits are missing. I have ordered them separately, and they have not arrived from dillon yet. There is also a part that has a little pin that is bent, i'm assuming it's not supposed to be, if someone could comment on that too. Thanks everyone.
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Allegheny County)

Here's some more pics

(Allegheny County)

Again some more pics

(Allegheny County)

Being as i'm new to reloading, I don't know how far powder will go. I was wondering if anyone could tell me approximately how many .223 loads I can get from a pound of powder?
    Was also wondering if there any 550 users from allegheny county willing to meet to show me the basics to the press and reloading.
    Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast