Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Wink Re: Newbie with used 550.

Quote Originally Posted by 00juice View Post
    Here's some more pics

Hell Double O,

Good luck with your new toy !

Request assembly/set-up paperwork from Dillon for your 550 and I highly recommend assy./operation video ( Dillon # D45-14621) about $ 6.00 - seeing it done and being able to rewind is a great help.
    If you call them @ 1-800-762-3844 they will put you on the Blue Press mailing list ... it's free.

Sorry, I'm Tekno-idiot and somehow can't get back to your pics, however I saw you have Dillons powder measure , 2 powder charge bars, thru-bolt for shell plate, spent primer cup/catcher.

The screw in the powder bars adjusts in/out to control amount of powder.

Thru bolt goes thru shell plate and into ram - lightly lube it ... I use spray silicone each cal change or if long run just loosen and spray.

Primer cup/catch goes under decap/size die.

Saw you have 1 powder measure and 1 tool-head ... if you plan on switching cals often and can afford I recommend extra tool heads each with own powder measure. Dillons powder die is nice and it's not difficult to move powder measure from one cal to next, but is a whole lot easier to just un-clip powder rod, exchange tool head , reclip powder rod and go ... not cheap, but plenty easy.

They do have auto-case feed for 550 now if yours didn't come with it ... how am I doing, spendin' your money ?

Take Care Double O

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Newbie with used 550.

I have ordered the dies and conversion kits for 9mm and .223. I have also ordered one of their quick change kits that has the tool head and powder measure, so that I can switch easily between the two cartridges. I have also downloaded their manual, and ordered the video on the 550. I'm waiting for it to show up. Hopefully today.
    Thanks
    00juice

Hey there,

You can download a complete parts and instruction manual directly from Dillon. If you have any questions the tech support at Dillon is absolutely fantastic.

I have had a RL 550 for around 20 years now and can't complain at all.

The amount of money that you will save will be offset by the amount of ammo that you are going to shoot and all of the extra reloading stuff that you will buy as well.

The complete tool head idea is a great one. I do the same as well. I use mostly RCBS dies and even have tool heads set up for different bullet types. I just change the powder measure from the bushing.

69 grn sierra HPBT and 55 grn Blitzkings each have their own tool head and get used alot.

The 50 grn Varmint Grenades and the 77 grn Noslers will soon have their own tool heads as well.

Just a thought.

Ace

(Franklin County)

OOJ - Don't know exactly how many 223 loads you can get from a pound of powder, but its a bunch. There's a thread here which says 7000g = 1 lb of powder; I haven't verified, but this is the internet... we can learn anything.

Hope you get some action on your request for a nearby Dillon user to help you get started-- if no one responds here, start a new thread for your request.

There are 7000 grains in a pound.

For my 55 grain Blitzkings, I load 22 grains of IMR 4198.

For my 70 grain VLD's, I load 25 grains of Varget.

You can get a quick idea of how long a pound of powder will last.

Ace

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12