Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Cheapest 7.62x39...150/M

AIM has it for $150/M+shipping, Wideners same. Has anyone found it cheaper?

Would anyone in Chester County would be interested in a group purchase if AIM (or anyone else) offers a price discount on large quantities?

Thanks,

Rick
    Last edited by PA Rifleman; January 15th, 2007 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Added vendor

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Cheapest 7.62x39...

Aubie and a bunch of us have been trying to organize a big group buy for ages.

Hopefully this will happen soon. Just figured I'd let you know.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Luzerne County)

Guys, the last case I bought was $59 before shipping!!! LOL!!! I'm glad I reasonably stocked up during that period. I'm still waiting, errr...hoping for the price to come down and find myself shooting other calibers more than the "high dollar" steel case stuff.

Rick and Diego have the right idea though, instead of a "Chester County" group buy...lets organize a FPO group buy!!! We are getting big enough now where we able to have some weight behind our pushes. How about a Group Buy Forum? If we can get enough prospective buyers AIM or even a local dealer may be willing to give us a good deal by making their profits in the bulk of buyers we have.

(Centre County)

149$ per case (50 boxes of 20)

http://www.wideners.com/

They're running out of FMJ quickly, but have a large amount of HP 7.62x39 in stock (about 10,000 boxes of 20 as of 18:00 1/14)

Note* Wideners is my primary source of reloading components (MidwayUSA is usually backup or for those harder to find stuff) They've never let me down so far.
    Last edited by Agent Ronin; January 14th, 2007 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

Quote Originally Posted by Holleta View Post
    Guys, the last case I bought was $59 before shipping!!! LOL!!! I'm glad I reasonably stocked up during that period.
    Ditto, but my daughters have an ever-increasing ammunition appetite, the cheap '39 won't hold out long. All the '39 I have was bought in the pre-$100/M era.

Quote Originally Posted by Holleta View Post
    ...instead of a "Chester County" group buy...lets organize a FPO group buy!!! We are getting big enough now where we able to have some weight behind our pushes. How about a Group Buy Forum? If we can get enough prospective buyers AIM or even a local dealer may be willing to give us a good deal by making their profits in the bulk of buyers we have.
    Not trying to rain on your suggestion as it's basically a good one. The problem with this, Holetta, is distribution. I doubt anyone wants to drive more that an hour to pickup ammo in quantity, or pay two shipping charges. That means I'm not expecting responses further than approximately:
    • Oxford/Kennett (South),
    • Pottstown (N),
    • Broomall/NTS (E),
    • Parkesburg (W)
    If they're willing to drive, then no problem. Here's an approximate map of the area.

The ideal scenario is making a bulk purchase from a business already in PA, and picking it up there. A lot of businesses will discount for ammunition pickups.

BTW, I already have a RFQ into AIM Surplus, I'm awaiting their response. 16Jan07 UPDATE - no quantity discount on bulk 7.62x39 ammo purchases, according to AIM Surplus.
    Last edited by PA Rifleman; January 16th, 2007 at 06:23 PM. Reason: AIM Update

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ronin View Post
    ...MidwayUSA is usually backup or for those harder to find stuff) They've never let me down so far.
    Right now Midway's lowest dealer price on 7.62x39 is $171.89/M. Retail is a whopping 10 cents more at $171.99. That's more than Sportsmans Guide @ $149.97, not counting the shipping. While the price is competitive, Sportsmans Guide's service isn't. I've been disappointed enough times that SG is now "last resort" status in my logistic chain.

SG has gone down hill big time. I really don't see them as a good source for ammo, PERIOD.

The problem with the GB that I see it is people say they are going to do something and back out. I have been back and forth about a GB, but the funds would need to be paid in advance before I ever place an order. I can see me getting stuck with a bunch of ammo that I don't need because people couldn't honor their word.

ETA: There is no such thing as cheap 7.62x39 anymore. If you didn't load up a couple of years ago, you are screwed. The best we can hope to do is to get a discount to equal 2006 prices. With transportation costs adding to the price, I believe we are all going to be hurting for ammo very soon. Unless you were wise enough to stock up or you are just wealthy.

Ammo along with many things we took for granted will never be cheap again.
    Last edited by aubie515; January 14th, 2007 at 11:30 PM.

Hi Aubie:

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    ... the funds would need to be paid in advance before I ever place an order. ...
    Agreed, I really can't stock too much right now, especially at $150/M. Two, maybe three cases.

The other scenario I don't want is to buy & stock at 150/M, have the market fall out and find myself unable to sell without a loss. Eventually Iraq will die down, & Venezuela will start cranking out their own ammo. I can't imagine the prices rising any higher than they are now, unless our friends in Washington think we need more legal protection against ourselves. The probability of this will increase if Congress appoints a Democratic president in 2008, endangering imports. So, 2007 should be an interesting year.

There is no such thing as cheap 7.62x39 anymore. The best we can hope to do is to get a discount to equal 2006 prices.
    To many variables...Iraq on the decline once Bush II vacates 1600 Penna Ave, Venezuela ammo production comes up online, things quieting down in the middle east, etc. The '39 market might bottom out again in 2007, but I wouldn't expect it to stay there past November 2007.

You're old enough to remember that 150/M (15 cents per round in bulk) is a little less that what 7.62x39 sold for when it first hit our shores around 1984-85. It was Chinese but came in green lacquer painted cases. I think I still have a sample round somewhere.

One point to remember is with all the AKs and SKSs in the US, 7.62x39 is here to stay for good. The only variable is how much it will cost.

I can see me getting stuck with a bunch of ammo that I don't need because people couldn't honor their word.
    Not if they pre-pay with cash. If they don't pony up, get cold feet or the S.O. redirects the funds, you aren't out a thing. Might need to start small, it's asking a lot to solicit hundreds of dollars from someone you've never met before.

If you didn't load up a couple of years ago, you are screwed.
    I did (in a big way, when it was $70/M and on stripper clips, I'm still using it). However, with a fixed pool of ammunition and steady use, it's only a question of time. I'm not about to stop shooting, or run low.

We need to remain familiar with shooting, which means we all need a steady supply of ammunition regardless of our present stores. The only exception I can think of is someone phasing out a particular ammunition size who elects to shoot up all their remaining stores, or someone getting out of shooting entirely.

Even if the war ends and the other factors that you mention change, I still believe that the days of cheap ammo are long gone. Even the surplus 8mm and those other calibers are starting to creep up in price. IMO, this isn't going to change anytime soon. I know it sounds negative, I just try to be realistic in my thoughts.

... I know it sounds negative, I just try to be realistic in my thoughts.
    I think there's a lot of truth in what you're saying. While I suspect prices might drop a little in 07, we'll never see the $59/M prices ever again. Maybe not $100/M prices either.

Thanks for your input.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast