Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Lancaster County Club/Range Yardage

New member, great site. Been following on and off for a while now and I finally just broke down and signed up, as I finally have a question to post of my own. I'm a life long Lancaster County resident, minus the fact that I've spent the last 3.5 years in college. Since I'll be finishing up soon, and have more time to dedicate to hand loading, ground hog hunting, and shooting in general, I'm looking at getting a club/range membership for the new year. Running up to the mountains to shoot is a little inconvient for the amount of shooting I'm starting to do. I know many clubs are "full", hence, I figured I'd better get it done as of Jan. 1st/31st.

I have friends at both Penn Dutch and Southern Lancaster County Sportsman. For me, its 6.5 dozen then the other in terms of driving distance. Any club or range is going to be 20 mins from my residence, give or take, and I'm willing to give for quality.

Since I'm really getting into handloading rifle rounds for longer ranges for varmint/groundhog hunting, I'd love to join a club that has at least a 300-400 yard range. So far, I understand that:

Southern Lancaster has a 300 yard range
    Penn Dutch has a 400 yard range
    New Holland Rifle and Pistol has a 600 yard range (that my grandfather surveyed, as a mannor of fact lol)

I do not know about Mill Creek, Paradise, Bear Town, etc. but that's what I'm hoping to find out.

I know everyone has an opinion and after reviewing threads on here for quite a while I know this might seem like something thats been beat to death but I haven't found numbers for some.

I'd also really be interested in New Holland Rifle and Pistol, but I'm worried about the schedule of matches (seems like a lot, which would be fun, but not ready yet) interfering with the time I have available to shoot, meaning I wouldn't get much range time in for the money and time (in work hours) I'd be putting in, strictly based on my daily schedule. By all means, I'm not bashing them or anything. It just doesnt fit for me with the way my life is at this point and I don't want to commit to something I can't do.

Not sure what to think of a pit system either. How does that work for someone who just wants to come and shoot a few rounds? I'm leaning towards Penn Dutch's approach of having multiple ranges or shooting areas instead of one big one. Again, it's strictly from experience and never utilizing the other one.

So, with that being said, can anyone enlighten me on yardages for the others, and any other benefits I might be missing/overlooking/not know about at some of the clubs/ranges?

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Lancaster County Club/Range Yardage

Beartown's is 100, membership is $25 a year