Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Difference between Remington PSS vs PS

What is the difference between the Remington PSS vs the PS?

I used to Have the Remington PSS in .308 and now have an opportunity to purchase a PS rifle in .308. It seems that there was a thread of this same questions, I just can't find it...

Thanks

Default Re: Difference between Remington PSS vs PS

Quote Originally Posted by Al Rick View Post
    What is the difference between the Remington PSS vs the PS?
    Here's Remington's full product lineup, they aren't listing a "PS". Did you intend to write Remington 700 SPS or perhaps Sendero SF? The Sendero is fairly close to a 700P.

Here's the skinny on the 700P, Remington discontinued the PSS suffix a few years ago and just adds a "P" after 700 now. If you're asking about the difference between the PSS and P, click here.

The short answer is the 700P & PSS are all McMillan heavy barrelled rifles in aluminum bedded stocks, also from McMillan. They also feature two forward sling studs, the first as a dedicated mounting point for a bipod.

[QUOTE=PA Rifleman

The short answer is the 700P & PSS are all McMillan heavy barrelled rifles in aluminum bedded stocks, also from McMillan. They also feature two forward sling studs, the first as a dedicated mounting point for a bipod.[/QUOTE]

Actually, that is not true because it's an HS Precision stock and not McMillan. I believe that the OP was referring to a VS and not a PS, unless he meant SPS.

The 700P and the VS are very similar. The only difference is that the VS has a different HS stock. It used to come with a grey webbed stock. The VS is a better deal because it is cheaper than the 700P. Most guys end up replacing the stock with a McMillan or AICS or Manners stock. You can normally sell your stock for around $200.

From what I can gather, the PSS stood for either Police Sniper Special, or Police Sharp Shooter. Either way, the P seems to stand for Police… Both sniper and sharp shooter really mean the same thing.

As Remington (like many other companies) has a lineup of Police and military weapons, the only thing to see here would be what the S stands for, in this case I could see Special being the S word.

Newer Remington Police rifles include the Model 700P Tactical Weapon Systems (TWS) / Model 700P LTR (Light Tactical Rifle) and The Model 700P Light Tactical Rifle (LTR) Tactical Weapon System (TWS)
    The 700 history lineup can be found at http://www.remington.com/library/his.../model_700.asp and has the Police 700 series in there as well. The V seems to stand for Varmint.

The P when preceded with a S as in SP seems to stand for Purpose, as in Special Purpose..
    Logic then would seem to show that PS would have stood for Police Special, where as SP would have stood for Special Purpose… Although I was not able to find any references to any PS other then the Remington PS 501 hair dryer, doubt you would compare the 700 to that
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Your right, I meant PSS vs P.

What I'm looking for is:

Is the rifle stock still the same, manufacture, dimensions, other?

And Why would ( Remington ) change the name from 700 PSS to 700 P ? I understand the LTR designation - 20" BBL Light Tactical Rifle

Thank you for all of the replies!
    Last edited by Al Rick; January 19th, 2007 at 06:27 PM.

It appears from the link provided, that the '' PSS " is a better rifle as compared to the new " P "

I was under the impression that the " PSS " was a Varmint rifle with a HS stock, and nothing else, no fancy bits or cool upgrades for accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Actually, that is not true because it's an HS Precision stock and not McMillan. ...
    Aubie:

I suspect you're right about that stock detail - HS Precision v. McMillan. When I have more than three hours of sleep, I'll go over that detail again. I suspect you're right, it has the ring of truth & familiarity. Thanks for catching that.

I have two 700PSS with consecutive build numbers, They cost me $632.00 each, one is in 308, the other in .223. They both have 1 in 12 twist rates and 24" barrels. They were surplus to a NYS Police order. They weigh 13.5 ilbs empty, and will shoot , with the right ammo at or better than the 40X specs for that caliber. I have a target posted that shows a 5 shot one hole group at 200 yards, .442 diameter for the 308. The rifles were assembled in Ilion NY. They are fun to shoot, but the ammo costs are driving me to the poor house, as the govt. no longer foots the bill.

(Northampton County)

Did u really just make an account to revive a 6 year old thread?