Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Penalty for loaded rifle in vehicle while hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    They made the law to prevent a loaded firearm from sliding off the vehicle and discharging, possibly hitting someone.

Of course, there is no law against leaning a loaded rifle against a tree or fence and having the same thing happen.
    I think trees and fences are generally not as slippery as a vehicle fender, but not always. Probably more instances of ND with vehicles than trees and fences, leading to the regulation.

(Wayne County)

Oops my bad
    Last edited by Qtrborecrazy; November 24th, 2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: already post

(Chester County)

I made a post about this a few months ago. Ths is the gotcha police. Lurking around every corner reay to get you. If the intent is no loaded rifle in a vehicle follow the law the way it was written. No assumptions. We we feel he had it loaded in the car because. Was it loaded in the car or not. Every freaking law is abused. That is why I feel their should be little to no laws. Or as latte as possible.

Not a free nation!!!

(Chester County)

After being hassled by game wardens twice in one day to check my license (of course it was valid) I realized these guys are not your friend. They are just looking for a bust, any bust, and trying to find something from nothing.

More government bureaucrat abuse with no recourse.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Helter View Post
    That is completely absurd. Land of the free my ass.
    Yeh, they must get points for tickets. It's the letter, not the spirit of the law.

A WCO thought he had me when I was coming out of the woods a few years ago. A freezing rain was coming down, and I remotely opened my station wagon hatch, and sat down on the back of the car to change my wet jacket, and laid my rifle down next to me. A WCO pulled up, asked to check my weapon, when it was obvious I had just come into the car. So I let him stand in the rain, while I was under the hatch cover, and check it, since I had unloaded it as soon as I started to leave the woods. He seemed surprised it was unloaded. Pure BS.

(Montgomery County)

Now I understand why the videos in the Hunter Trapper Education class made a point of having the actors load and unload their rifles far away from their vehicles.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I think trees and fences are generally not as slippery as a vehicle fender, but not always. Probably more instances of ND with vehicles than trees and fences, leading to the regulation.
    One of my uncle's relatives was killed by a gun that was leaning against a tree. Everyone had leaned their guns against the same tree and one fell over and fired.

I'd plead "not guilty", because it will be an education (and a wakeup call) for the kid. The govt is not the one portrayed in that "How A Bill Becomes Law" cartoon.

The DJ will almost certainly find you guilty, regardless of the facts. A few DJ's consider themselves to be neutral arbiters of the facts, and I treasure them like gold. But too many figure that they are just part of the government machinery, and their job is to not make waves, go along with their fellow govt employees, be a team player, keep the local business leaders happy, find in favor of the locals (who vote for DJ's) and against outsider parties (who do not vote).

After the DJ rubber-stamps the ticket, appeal it to Common Pleas Court. You have 3 witnesses who will testify as to what happened, they have 2 who "didn't see" something, and then tried to get the dad to confess to something that he clearly didn't do.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I'd plead "not guilty", because it will be an education (and a wakeup call) for the kid. The govt is not the one portrayed in that "How A Bill Becomes Law" cartoon.

The DJ will almost certainly find you guilty, regardless of the facts. A few DJ's consider themselves to be neutral arbiters of the facts, and I treasure them like gold. But too many figure that they are just part of the government machinery, and their job is to not make waves, go along with their fellow govt employees, be a team player, keep the local business leaders happy, find in favor of the locals (who vote for DJ's) and against outsider parties (who do not vote).

After the DJ rubber-stamps the ticket, appeal it to Common Pleas Court. You have 3 witnesses who will testify as to what happened, they have 2 who "didn't see" something, and then tried to get the dad to confess to something that he clearly didn't do.

Exactly what I would do!

My neighbor got busted for a loaded gun in his car a few years ago. He did have his loaded with the bolt open nothing in the chamber. He got a fine and I think it was around $180.00 he was pissed and was complaining about it for hours. He said he wasn't going to pay it and asked what I thought they would do. I simply told him you already screwed up once, I don't think I'd push your luck and find out.

(Schuylkill County)

While its not likely anyone knows all the game laws by memory. At least when you buy a hunting or fishing lic they give you an instruction manual. Sounds like your friend didn't read it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast