Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: SKS project

(Dauphin County)

Default SKS project

I want to start an SKS project rifle here soon in the next few months. Where should i start? It will mostly be used to punch paper at a distance of no more than 200 yards, and of course zombies when they invade. I seen that center fire systems has "shooters grade" SKS's for sale for 169.99 @ http://www.centerfiresystems.com/ind...S&Category=209
    I want to be able to add a aftermarket adjustable stock and a larger capacity magazine and make it "tacti-cool"..... Is this a good start for what i want to do? How much better is the condition of a new versus shooters grade?

Default Re: SKS project

it's usually pitting on the metal surfaces and the condition of the stock that qualify it as such.

You're going to need to follow 922r laws once you start modifying it.

Id only ever reccomend tapco for the mags. You can either buy their new bolt (if it's released yet) or take your and dremel the fins off so you can insert the mag while the bolt is closed.

I had their T-6 (fusion now) stock and it was alright.

If it's a Yugo you're buying you're going to want/need to replace the gas valve, cncwarrior makes one that's only 10 bucks and will solve your mystical "why the hell wont it eject" mystery...or you can use a paperclip bent into an o-ring.

If you're going to go red dot or long eye relief on it, get the scoutscopes mount for it, it's solid and has irons built into it.

If you want to scope it, do yourself a favor and get the kind that needs to be drill/tapped on.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: SKS project

When you receive your new project rifle, it's going to need a good cleaning. Pay particular attention to the bolt and firing pin. Any goo in the bolt guts will affect the free floating firing pin. If the bayonet is removed you may wish to add a flash hider to replace the weight back onto the barrel. And a nice 10 round removable mag is mfg by triplek.com; they feed well. 30 rnd mags tend to hang up internally, and are unwieldy, sticking out way too far under the stock. After market sights are also available. You'll end up with a fun shooting rifle. Try www.yooperj.com/sks. - for more info.