Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Why a gun safe? Why not a gun room?

Lately my collection has been growing at a rate that is really starting to hinder my ability to secure all of them in one location. I have a 2 safes, 1 is a smaller one, and 1 is a freaking monster. The monster safe is such a pain in the ass due to the weight/size, and the smaller one is well umm, enough to keep a 3yr old out of it. So anyways, my wife has been bringing up the idea of another safe. I thought about it and figured it would be best to consolidate the "little" safe and the homeless firearms into another large one, leaving me with 2 nice heavy duty safes. That's what got me thinking.... I have been working on re-doing our basement to make another family room, along with tricking out the laundry room for the Mrs. It has been coming a long great, but I have a large area that I currently have no use for. We were going to deem it a storage area, but we have plenty of it on the other side of the basement.

I have always wanted room for a proper grid wall display rack. This will allow me to drool over the collection all at once vs the current method of grabbing the rifle out of its location to do so. The only downside to the idea of displaying my guns is that I want some sort of protection, and I don't it is safe to store all of your guns in a wood cabinet with a glass door. So I am kicking around the idea of building a room down there out of block, with a steel security door. I am thinking this because the gun safe route is looking to cost over $4k to find a proper home for my collection. Now I am sitting here trying to figure out why I should spend $4k on storage (That's a whole lot of guns and ammo) and then have to deal with moving these 1000lbs safes. I mean, you even have to put thought into the strength of the flooring. I can build a secure room that you would need freaking shape charges to enter for under $2k. That will also enable me to have a secured area to do my reloading, and gun related project work. I am not saying I want kids or anything at the moment, but what if we do have one/some. As much as I want my kids to understand guns, and not fear them, I sure as hell don't want my toddler to find Daddy's tricked AR-15 and see if they can load a mag to play "Cops and Robbers" with mommy while she is cooking supper.

This room idea would be under lock and key, secured. An advantage of the room would be when I am in a middle of build I don't have to worry about putting everything away so if someone were to break in they don't see a table full of guns/parts which would get them to look for others. Not to mention even if they knew what was in this "room" they would really have to try hard to get the goods out. Don't get me wrong, if people want something bad enough they will find a way, this would just be one hell of a deterent, and limit my potential loss to more of a prepared thief? That I will still have the monster safe for the guns I really don't want in the hands of a criminal.

Our basement has no moisture issues, but being that it is a basement we do run a dehumidifier just ensure that it stays that way. That walls are very thick concrete, and I have the ability to add fresh air ventilation to the room to ensure I don't kill my few remaining brain cells with the chemicals I use for cleaning.

Anyways there is my idea, any thoughts? Has anyone done this? Any advice?

(Centre County)

Default Re: Why a gun safe? Why not a gun room?

I don't have the room to do it otherwise I would. If you have the area (looks like you do) and the money (sounds like you're going to make it happen) then go for it.

It sounds like you have a pretty extensive collection. My suggestion would be a corner area if possible (2 walls of concrete already).

Here's how I would do it: I would then build the other two walls out of reinforced concrete blocks. The door is the weakest point so I would go to a good security, safe or locksmith company that carries the security doors (basically a safe door that you can install or get installed).

Stud out the inside walls (I would think about studs no further apart than 16" (especially if you're putting a lot of weight on them). Insulate/fire resist the inside walls and cover with a nice wood to complement your collection. Seal the floor with a good epoxy (or something of that nature) and finish the floor with a floating hardwood (or bamboo - very nice) floor. Don't forget to put up a good ceiling that would keep stuff from dropping in, in case of a disaster. A small dehumidifier will keep it dry. Make it big enough that you can put chair or two in to relax while admiring your collection.

Accessorize as needed to finish your man cave the way you want.

BTW, because of the strength, this would also be a good place to go in case of a natural disaster to protect your family.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I don't have the room to do it otherwise I would. If you have the area (looks like you do) and the money (sounds like you're going to make it happen) then go for it.

It sounds like you have a pretty extensive collection. My suggestion would be a corner area if possible (2 walls of concrete already).

Here's how I would do it: I would then build the other two walls out of reinforced concrete blocks. The door is the weakest point so I would go to a good security, safe or locksmith company that carries the security doors (basically a safe door that you can install or get installed).

Stud out the inside walls (I would think about studs no further apart than 16" (especially if you're putting a lot of weight on them). Insulate/fire resist the inside walls and cover with a nice wood to complement your collection. Seal the floor with a good epoxy (or something of that nature) and finish the floor with a floating hardwood (or bamboo - very nice) floor. Don't forget to put up a good ceiling that would keep stuff from dropping in, in case of a disaster. A small dehumidifier will keep it dry. Make it big enough that you can put chair or two in to relax while admiring your collection.

Accessorize as needed to finish your man cave the way you want.

BTW, because of the strength, this would also be a good place to go in case of a natural disaster to protect your family.

You and I are thinking on the same lines as far as the actual build. So it seems this isn't a retarded idea. I love your idea of a secure room in the event of a tornado or something. That is another bonus of having this that I didn't even think about. I'm not worried about decor much as I am thinking concrete and metal inside just due to the type of collection I have.

My vision is something like a smaller version of the gun room in the movie tremors. Or about the same size as the one in the movie boondock saints but instead of a cage wall, I want concrete wall.

Thanks for the response, I was definitely looking for some validation, or a reality check before I started.

(York County)

I'd build the room and then get a door the looks like a bookcase so that the room is hidden from view all together. If I had a basement with the space i'd totally do that. I've always wanted a secret room.

(York County)

Sounds like a great idea. I wish I had the space to do the same. Two layers of 5/8" "Type X" drywall should give you a one hour fire rating for your ceiling (floor above) and 6" concrete block will provide a two hour fire rating for the walls. You'll have to post some pics when you're done.
    Guns only have two enemies: rust and politicians.

(Washington County)

http://www.rhinovault.com/
    http://www.sportsmansteelsafes.com/defender.htm
    http://www.letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=safe+doors

Just a few quick searches... Hope this helps. Be sure to get some photos of the project. Sounds like fun for this winter.

(Lancaster County)

One idea, if your building it under, say a living room or something, all it would take to get in would be a sawzaw, all they would have to do is cut through the upper floor and drop down in... Just a thought...

(Lancaster County)

The one big drawback I see is that your "safe" becomes a permanent part of the house. If you chose to, or had to, relocate, it might be very difficult to find someone who would pay extra for a safe room and also like all the other features of your house. I think realtors will tell you when you do something unique or unusual to the house, it either becomes a negative at sale time or at the least you would probably lose your investment. If I was 90%+ sure I would stay in my present house for a long time, it sounds like a great idea. We are going through very "unsettled" economic times when not too much is certain. I believe I'd presently opt for a safe that could move with me, even if it was large enough to be difficult.

im on your side. i am moving to NC within the year and will be looking for a house that has an "extra" room in the basement. this will be molded into just as you described. a re-loading room and a gun safe. i will even be plumbing in fire extinguishers for that guy justin case.
    This Space For Rent

(Susquehanna County)

A gun room is a perfectly valid idea. After all if it's good enough for Charlton Heston, It's good enough for you! Search around a bit and you'll find photos of his collection posted in theis forum.

I wish you enough fortune and good luck in your profession so you have the where-with-all to aquire an equivalet collection!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast