Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Teaching an adult new to shooting

I've been itching to take my girlfriend of some time now out shooting. She is a responsible adult, and has been around guns all her life. Her family members are religious hunters, every year, every season, however they have never taught her or her sister anything. It seems as though the women in the family have been barred from it for whatever reason, be it sexist ideals or a lack of interest. She is ok with me carrying and in fact happy about it. I fit in with her folks and whatnot. She has expressed hesitance about learning to shoot, but I believe that revolves around her maybe one shooting experience that involved her being younger (in her teens) and smaller at the time, and she reportedly shot something big and scary (either a 12 gauge or a large bore centerfire).

I want to take her to the range sometime and want to do it RIGHT. I've done some searches, and most say have someone else do it. I like this idea, however the problem is I don't have any friends I trust to do it, and don't feel like dishing out for a course that seems far and few between to begin with. So I'm looking for advice.

I plan on starting her with a bolt action, .22 rifle.

My questions seem to be:
    1. I only shoot at the Scotia public range right now, outside of hunting. I don't have the ability to pay for a membership to a private club, nor do I have the land to do it alone. Is this a bad place to go for this? I like the safety features built into the range but it gets crowded on the weekends and seems like a bad place to start. I'd like to use the auxilary range where we would feel less rushed and such, but the lack of rests and sandbags is an issue there.

2. Is there any literature that I could get for her to explain things on her own time, away from a rifle?

3. When do I move her up to a larger caliber, and how do I make the jump seem more like a hop? My next smallest rifle is either the .270 or 30-30. The .270 would be the natural next step as its a bolt gun as well.

4. In your experience, is it too much for her to try my .22 SA revolver early on, or should I keep it at long guns for now?

Any tips would be appreciated. I would love to take her into the woods some time. We get along like 2 peas in a pod, and I think we would have fun together, especially considering her family hunting property is a very comfy and enjoyable way to hunt (they already let me up there, would make sense she gets to enjoy it too). Thanks in advance!

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Teaching an adult new to shooting

First of all, good for you in taking the initiative in getting a new shooter going.

If the goal is to get her into handguns in particular, there is no reason not to start out with a .22 revolver. You need to put the emphasis on safe firearm handling and shooting. Make sure she is aware of ALL safety precautions. Order this: http://materials.nrahq.org/go/produc...ductid=ES30600 and go over it page by page with her.

I, too, strongly recommend that she take a course through the NRA, but I'm a bit biased in that regard. Take your time, SET A GOOD EXAMPLE, and have fun!
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by wxduff View Post
    I've been itching to take my girlfriend of some time now out shooting. She is a responsible adult, and has been around guns all her life. Her family members are religious hunters, every year, every season, however they have never taught her or her sister anything. It seems as though the women in the family have been barred from it for whatever reason, be it sexist ideals or a lack of interest. She is ok with me carrying and in fact happy about it. I fit in with her folks and whatnot. She has expressed hesitance about learning to shoot, but I believe that revolves around her maybe one shooting experience that involved her being younger (in her teens) and smaller at the time, and she reportedly shot something big and scary (either a 12 gauge or a large bore centerfire).

I want to take her to the range sometime and want to do it RIGHT. I've done some searches, and most say have someone else do it. I like this idea, however the problem is I don't have any friends I trust to do it, and don't feel like dishing out for a course that seems far and few between to begin with. So I'm looking for advice.

I plan on starting her with a bolt action, .22 rifle.

My questions seem to be:
    1. I only shoot at the Scotia public range right now, outside of hunting. I don't have the ability to pay for a membership to a private club, nor do I have the land to do it alone. Is this a bad place to go for this? I like the safety features built into the range but it gets crowded on the weekends and seems like a bad place to start. I'd like to use the auxilary range where we would feel less rushed and such, but the lack of rests and sandbags is an issue there.

2. Is there any literature that I could get for her to explain things on her own time, away from a rifle?

3. When do I move her up to a larger caliber, and how do I make the jump seem more like a hop? My next smallest rifle is either the .270 or 30-30. The .270 would be the natural next step as its a bolt gun as well.

4. In your experience, is it too much for her to try my .22 SA revolver early on, or should I keep it at long guns for now?

Any tips would be appreciated. I would love to take her into the woods some time. We get along like 2 peas in a pod, and I think we would have fun together, especially considering her family hunting property is a very comfy and enjoyable way to hunt (they already let me up there, would make sense she gets to enjoy it too). Thanks in advance!

.22 rifle and .22 handgun are definetly a good way to start. As long as you have good gun handleing skills I think you would be alright with the initial introduction to handleing and shooting. If she were to get serious about carrying then it might be the time to hand the reigns over to a pro for some serious instruction.

With rifle season coming up you might find the public range less crowded than usual as alot of people will be in the woods. You would have to give up a day of hunting for this though.

(Washington County)

Start with the 4 safety rules. Don't be condescending. You don't want to come off as lecturing. Eyes and ears at all times.

The first emphasis should be with the long gun, and practicing without ammunition, stance, shouldering, hand positions, and looking down the sights. If she is left handed, or cross eye dominant, special considerations will be needed.

The first few shots should be down range, no particular target, focusing on holding the rifle, realizing how easy it is, and how fun it is! Next I move to large targets, like big pieces of steel (shooting safely of course). Reactive targets are important for first time shooters to show them they're hitting which most importantly, builds confidence.

Once confidence and trust are established with the rifle and she has successfully shot some targets, move to the pistol, again starting with holding and aiming.

Most importantly, work at her pace, ask questions like how did that feel, or which gun did you like the most. Remember it is about her, not you.

Don't knit-pick either. Load her mags for her the first few times out. Don't lecture about calibers and how to draw and tac reload while moving lol. Those are second and third lessons. Go slow so not to overwhelm.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Monroe County)

Breath, sight alignment and trigger control. Build on that foundation.

It's not gospel but it's harder to make a rifle shooter a pistol shooter then make a pistol shooter a rifle shooter. It takes less effort because the basics are ingrained tighter.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Berks County)

Good for you, glad to see a new shooter in training.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Bucks County)

For what it's worth, my thoughts on it. I always thought a natural progression for a lot of boys was BB-gun rifle, real .22 rifle, then pistol.

The basics of shooting learned on the .22 rifle (sight picture, BRASS, et cetera) then address the fine-tuning needed for pistol shooting. .22LR rifle establishes good habits and engenders confidence and (with women, in my experience) learned disregard (anticipation resulting in flinching) of muzzle blast. The few I have known were more intimidated by muzzle blast than actual recoil. A work-up helps. I know a woman very interested in shooting who is very upset at the blast from an AR-15 even with muffs on. For that reason, her husband bought her a .17.

Don't train your wife or girl friend.

Convince her to enroll herself in a basic course run by and for women. Women respond to training differently than men. And you're probably a lousy trainer! Few men are skilled in either shooting or teaching (despite what we think!).

Men seem to buy junk guns for their women judging from what couples show up with at entry level courses I participate in. Revolvers especially since their women are too stupid to operate a semi-automatic pistol or rifle. Or tiny "concealable" pistols too small to shoot more than a couple of magazines during the day.

Let her choose her own weapon after she's been to a woman-run weekend.

-- Chuck

Great job teaching your girl. Having a fun hobby in common is fantastic, not to mention its good self defense

Teach her the basics including the four rules, range etiquette, and some basic handling skills. Avoid the bravado

Keep it fun and safe. Make sure you keep it light as well, if she shoots 5 rounds and wants to be done, then let her. No pressure

Try to keep it fun as well. Does your range allow reactive targets? Neco wafers, lollipops, gold balls, spinners, paint balls, throw targets, balloons. Seeing what she hits rather than just paper holes keeps it fun. My wife and kids love when we put up balloons, we make it a competition who can hit all their balloons first, hit the smallest balloons, hit by color, etc

Also, if you are lucky enough to have a selection of fire arms bring a few. Allow her to pick and try some different ones. She can progress how she wants, if she likes one and not the other she will pick what she wants to shoot

I agree to avoid hardcore training, if she get frustrated and angry at you because she doesent get something it might create some tension between youNd may turn her off. If she is interesred then take a class together. Appleseed, NRA courses etc. can also be great bonding

If you play your cards right you might even be able to get her a skimpy little leather number with a drop leg holster and .............. 😉👍

(Bucks County)

I don't care what others think the 270 should be out.I own an 06,same shell different size bullet.Same basic kick in the face.Use 22 then find somebody's 223,work up slow,or lose her altogether as a shooter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast