Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington R-25

(York County)

Default Remington R-25

From John Snow at The Gun Shots blog:

Meet the Remington R-25. It is an AR-10 platform rifle built for the hunting market and is the big brother of the R-15 introduced last year.

It isn’t a secret that with the merger of Remington, Bushmaster, Marlin, H&R Firearms and DPMS that the newly formed mega-company has plans to capitalize on all the different product lines in its family. Well, the R-25 is the latest offspring of this union. With the help of DPMS, which has been making AR-style rifles for the hunting market for some time, Remington now adds a new twist.
    The all-camo R-25 will be chambered in .243 Win., 7mm-08 Rem. and .308 Win. initially.

This rifle is built with hunters in mind and, according to Remington spokesmen, will feature a single-stage trigger that comes from the factory with a 4.5- to 5-pound trigger pull, a 20-inch barrel and a 1-in-10 inch twist in all calibers.

For those not familiar with the DPMS/R-25 upper, the rifle loses some weight via metal taken from the receiver and out of the Picatinny rail. The result is a flat-top AR-10-style configuration that weighs in around 8.75 pounds.

The shallow flutes in the barrel in front of the gas block give the rifle a distinctive look as does the full-coverage Mossy Oak Treestand camo. Speaking of the gas block, it has a rail on top to mount a fixed front sight if the shooter wishes.

The rifle ships with a 4-round magazine, but will accept other AR-10 style mags with greater capacities. The free-floating barrel is protected by a hand guard styled with horizontal cuts along its length and has two swivel stud attachments on it—one for a sling, another for a bipod. In addition, the barrel features a recessed target crown.

The MSRP for the new R-25 is $1,532 but expect street prices somewhere between $1,200 and $1,300. Assuming you can find one of course. According to Remington, the company has already sold out this year’s quota to its various dealers. So if you see one and want one you better act fast.

Specs on the R-25 from Remington

Camo: Mossy Oak Treestand

Barrel: 20-inch carbon steel fluted / .680-inch muzzle with recessed crown / Koelbl single-rail gas block

Chamber: .308 Win., .243 Win., 7mm-08 Rem.

Bolt Carrier: Heat-treated 8620 steel bolt and bolt carrier

Sights: None

Hand Guard: Aluminum free-floated

Upper Receiver: 6066 T-Aluminum / Hard-coated and full camo / Forward-assist and shell deflector / Right-hand eject / Picatinny rail

Lower Receiver: Milled from solid block of 6061 T-Aluminum / Hard-coated and full camo / Internal trigger guard / Aluminum mag release button

Stock and Grip: Standard A-2 Zytel stock with trap door assembly and A-2 Zytel pistol grip

Trigger: Single-stage hunting trigger set at 4.5 to 5-pound pull

Weight: 8.75 pounds

Length: 39.75 inches

Magazine: 4-round magazine / Accepts aftermarket AR .308-type

Action: Semi-auto / Gas-operated

Rate of Twist: 1 in 10 inches

MSRP: $1,532
    FOAC * GOA * SAF * NRA Life Member

Default Re: Remington R-25

yeah, i want one...

but not in camo
    This Space For Rent

Anyone own one of these........in 243?? or otherwise??
    Good
    Bad
    Ugly.
    Last edited by D*Compound; February 5th, 2009 at 07:07 PM.

(Northampton County)

It isn’t a secret that with the merger of Remington, Bushmaster, Marlin, H&R Firearms and DPMS that the newly formed mega-company
    Ack..No!!! Oh man how did I miss this! No No No!!!

(Delaware County)

They are selling for quite a bit at this time but if they come down I would like one in .308 or 7mm-08. Maybe one day we will be allowed to hunt with these.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=122080592

any reason to not want the 243?

(Delaware County)

I do like the .243 caliber but I already have 2 bolt guns in .243. I guess when it came down to it I would go with .308 b/c you can get surplus ammo for .308. I think it would get quite expensive plinking with .243 or 7mm-08. Other than that I believe both of them to be a far more attractive caliber than .308. If I had endless cash for ammo, sure get the .243. But if you don't and want to shoot a lot then I would not.

(Lycoming County)

YES....."It's not sporting to shoot at game animals with a semi-auto"! That is a direct quoted statement from a PA Game Commission Officer....not Deputy. Yes we are one of two Commonwealths/states that can't hunt with a semi other than a shotgun for some birds. I would love to hunt groundhogs with my 5.56 AR and deer in the brush with my 7.62x39 Colt Carbine. I almost bought a R25 at Gander Mtn but $1500 was a bit much....full retail? Mike.
    The liberals won't be happy until they control you.

(Cumberland County)

I just pick one of these up at Dick's Sporting Goods, of all places. Paid $1400 for the 308 Win. Hopefully my rings will be here from Midway USA in a few days and I can get it to the range.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by wishem View Post
    I just pick one of these up at Dick's Sporting Goods, of all places. Paid $1400 for the 308 Win. Hopefully my rings will be here from Midway USA in a few days and I can get it to the range.
    welcome to PAFOA...let us know how the R-25 performs at the range...
    FOAC * GOA * SAF * NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast