Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Columbia County)

Default WWII Nazi Mauser "byf" Code, 42 Date P08 Luger Pistol with Dated Holster - Value?

Hi all,

I have an opportunity to purchase a byf 1942 all matching luger at an auction soon. Any idea on the value? It has the original holster and two mags. The numbers all match and I would estimate the gun's condition to be 7/10. I have no idea what the value would be can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: WWII Nazi Mauser "byf" Code, 42 Date P08 Luger Pistol with Dated Holster - Value?

http://www.google.com/search?q=byf+l...ers&aqs=chrome..
    69i57j0.5265j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93 &ie=UTF-8

http://www.craiggottlieb.com/engine/....asp?Item=3366

^ example of pristine and matching ^ $3750

Listed as Euro, yet contact is California.
    Last edited by Bang; November 21st, 2013 at 03:13 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: WWII Nazi Mauser "byf" Code, 42 Date P08 Luger Pistol with Dated Holster - Value?

Sounds like a great collector item...except approach with caution.

Just for the record:
    2013 Gun Digest lists a VG all matching byf coded Luger as being valued as $1800 while one in Good condition is an $900 gun. Mint (excellent) are apparently rare since they are listed at $3250. I guess they saw a lot of hard use. There many thousands of these made, so be extra sure of what you are buying before you put your money down. You said you rated its condition at 70%. That would put it in the Good+ condition. If the holster and magazines match, it would add a bit to the value.

Keep in mind that if this pistol has ANY mismatched parts or if refinished it is considered only in Good condition. An authentic holster is an expensive addition these days and sadly are frequently faked. A repo holster is only worth about $50, so check carefully.

These days Lugers are a serious collector's item, so you may want to get on one of the forums where the gurus live and can guide you on what to look for to detect fakery or the real deal with both gun and holster.
    Last edited by Ecclectic Collector; November 21st, 2013 at 07:48 PM.

(Columbia County)

Thanks ^! Very informative.

(Lancaster County)

go to pistole parabellum forum one of the best forums for lugers I bought some off there and have learned a lot from the guys over there.if your going to and auction and other people know about luger I would take at least $2,000 with me if I really wanted it.if your willing to wiat you can get some very nice luger off above forum I gave $700,$900 and $1200 for my last one which was an artillery.hope this helps crazywolf