Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Customer Shoots Armed Robber in Family Dollar

Quote Originally Posted by mr_jumper View Post
    Good for him.

However this picture... many things wrong with this picture.

Wouldn't surprise me if the bad guys were carrying and drawing just like that.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by zlaya View Post
    All the other people (with obvious exceptions, come on...) have brains, hands, legs, just like I do. Why should I risk my life to protect theirs? Makes no sense dude.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    TROLL

(Venango County)

All the other people (with obvious exceptions, come on...) have brains, hands, legs, just like I do. Why should I risk my life to protect theirs? Makes no sense dude.
    I can just see it now. Every patron in that store was armed. But no one did anything to help anyone else for fear of immediate (physical) and later (civil/criminal case) repercussions.

May as well not carry anymore...liberals win, robbers win, rights and liberty loses.

I don't know AL law but I do know in PA, the statutes have a provision about protecting others just as you would yourself (if you want to).
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    I can just see it now. Every patron in that store was armed. But no one did anything to help anyone else for fear of immediate (physical) and later (civil/criminal case) repercussions.

May as well not carry anymore...liberals win, robbers win, rights and liberty loses.

I don't know AL law but I do know in PA, the statutes have a provision about protecting others just as you would yourself (if you want to).
    Hey Zimmerman was in the right, but look at the stuff he had to go through. To me it's not worth a strangers life...sorry. I didn't create today's political climate.

(Venango County)

Hey Zimmerman was in the right, but look at the stuff he had to go through. To me it's not worth a strangers life...sorry. I didn't create today's political climate.
    That is a much better argument than F'em. But your earlier quote implies that other people have brains etc. so that they should be able to have protected themselves if they were armed. (That's how I read it as belonging to a firearms/carry board)

It would really be a shame if someone got killed by the perp and half the people were armed and did nothing, however, no matter the reasoning.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Northampton County)

I can not understand the selfishness of some people.
    If you are in possession of the skills and tools necessary to address the risk and then choose not to,.......wtf

I routinely risk my life to help others as a medic (both paid and volunteer). & am a strong proponent of OC and CC. I do not do either as I work in NJ.

- Chris

(Bucks County)

An armed robber pointing a gun and demanding cooperation of the victim in his illegal act has already overtly communicated, "do it or I will kill you".

The robber(s) assumes all responsibility for what happens as a result. But for his act, the store environment would have remained routine.

Robbers have been known to kill to thwart identification. There is no way of knowing the robber's mindset in that regard.

Robbers have been known to shoot and not even know why they did. Momentary perceived threat, surprise move or noise, nervous trigger finger, doesn't matter. People in the presence of a loaded gun under these circumstances are all in clear and present danger of being injured or killed.

A bystander to the robbery in possession of a loaded weapon has a terrible decision to make. There are so many possible outcomes to action taken and not taken they cannot be considered within the moment in time the decision occupies. And the actual robbery may not be what it appears.
    "Victims" have been known to actually be in on the robbery.

The current political and public perception seems to be a backing off from the "good Samaritan" laws. Doctors who were protected from suit when giving aid on the street are losing some of those immunities.

A shooting bystander risks the cold light of day courtroom dissection of the circumstances which will surely include facts of which the bystander was unaware....such as, the gun was a non-firing model, or not loaded, or the robber was desperate to feed his birth-defective baby that was left to him after his wife was killed in an auto accident.

I can understand someone who is armed for self-protection hesitating or even refusing to take a life under the OP scenario. It's money...probably insured money. It's one of those maybe damned if you do, maybe damned if you don't.

Is "maybe" a good reason to take a life and risk personal loss? Will the wife and kids be thrilled with your intervention as they struggle to subsist while you languish in prison, or you are hopelessly in debt, because a lawyer or prosecutor mounted a novel approach to suing/trying you and prevailed?

Or... you shoot the one robber and the second begins a spray and pray and bystanders are injured and/or killed and it all gets boiled down to being the result of your act. Even if that does not result in a personal legal problem, could you, your spouse, kids, relatives and friends feel OK with it?

Not taking a stand one way or the other. Just saying reactions are subject to unknown facts affecting before, during and after.

Nothing will be expected of the robber should he be captured. Bungholes have that advantage over responsible citizens. Expect to be held to a higher standard. Think about all the possible ingredients in advance. Don't wait until after you do what seems a good idea at the time and others disagree. There will always be those who disagree. Some of them have the power to affect your life.

(York County)

Last I checked - all OUR training, rules, practices generally states:

"One draws a loaded weapon to shoot"
    Not threaten, not play, not bluff.

If I'm practicing dry-fires - it is not loaded - likewise draw drills.

I therefore assume anyone else drawing a weapon is doing so only to shoot - therefore - I will neutralize anyone perceived to be of immediate harm to me - or another person.

Is that a simple enough analysis.

(Washington County)

To those who would act: do you simply draw and fire, or do you draw and issue a command (freeze, hands up, drop it, etc.)?

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    To those who would act: do you simply draw and fire, or do you draw and issue a command (freeze, hands up, drop it, etc.)?

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android
    I don't think anyone can answer that honestly without being in that situation as each one would be different. The best answer would be "it depends".

If you've never seen this footage, watch it carefully.

Last edited by streaker69; November 20th, 2013 at 05:40 PM.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast