Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 450 bushmaster, 458 socom or 50 beowulf

I'm looking to build one of these on the AR platform. Anybody have pro and cons about these calibers. I plan on reloading the one I go with. Gun will be mainly for fun and some hunting. Any ideas?

Default Re: 450 bushmaster, 458 socom or 50 beowulf

Brass will be hard to come by, however, I'd go with 458 SOCOM out of the three. Plenty of bullets out there for this cartridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Monroe County)

I can not speak to the other cartridges, but I have a .50 Beowulf and am very pleased with it. It uses the same projectiles as .50 S&W, and I have always been able to get projectiles for it. I am loading up 300 grain hornady ftx in front of 36 grains of lil gun and getting 1 MOA out of it. My son is going to use this on our deer hunt in Virginia next week, and I think it will make an excellent deer or hog gun. The brass is hard to find, but that seems to be turning around now.

They'll all be fun and capable calibers.

If you reload other calibers, maybe go with something that shares components with what you already have. If you don't, then make your decision based on what's most important to you (price of ammo, availability, etc...).

I have a 50 Beowulf, friend has a 450 Bushmaster, both are awesome. Haven't had the chance to shoot 458 Socom, but I'm sure it's about the same.

(Washington County)

I'm going to mini hijack to get in on this thread. Are all of these calibers simple upper and mag changes? I'm interested in responses to the OP. I'd like one of these calibers for a hog gun.

(Beaver County)

Yes. All three are upper and mag swaps.

I have the Wulf and the Bushy. Factory ammo is easier and cheaper to come by for the Bushy( Hornady and Remington) but only one supplier for brass for roll your owns and it's exspensive. Actually cheaper to buy factory ammo then reload it. Bushy uses a .452 bullet. Not all that common considering most is .451 or .458.

The Wulf on the otherhand has 2 brass suppliers and uses a .500 bullet. Factory ammo availability pretty much sucks( Alexander Arms only) that I know of. Common bullet for 50AE and the 500 S&W and some muzzle loaders. I like Berry's plated 350 FMJ for plinking and Hornady 350 XTP HP's for hunting.

As for the 458 it uses a very common .458 bullet. Brass is available from at lease 2 different manufactures that I know of. Factory ammo is about as bad as the Bushy with only 2 big manufactures that I know of (Cor-Bon and SBR).

Check out the forum beyond556.com for dedicate bigbore ar-15 talk. Lots of good info and roll your own recipies there.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; November 20th, 2013 at 01:36 PM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

You are going to be waiting a while for 458 SOCOM parts or you will be paying a premium to get an upper.

I've been wanting a 458 SOCOM since it uses same mags as AR15 and there are so many bullet choices for that caliber along with the molds to cast your own bullets.

I don't think you will be upset with whatever of the three calibers you choose. All three will get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    You are going to be waiting a while for 458 SOCOM parts or you will be paying a premium to get an upper.

I've been wanting a 458 SOCOM since it uses same mags as AR15 and there are so many bullet choices for that caliber along with the molds to cast your own bullets.

I don't think you will be upset with whatever of the three calibers you choose. All three will get the job done.
    Wilson Combat has 458 SOCOM stuff in stock;
    http://shopwilsoncombat.com/458-SOCOM/products/438/
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

I would go with the .458socom if it were me. All 3 you can cast bullets for to keep costs down, if you cast already. If you plan to reload it stock up on Starline brass.

(Washington County)

Are all three ballistics comparable inside 100 yards, actually more like 50 yards for my intended use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast