Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: BREAKING: Master Sergeant Christopher Grisham found guilty in right to carry tria

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Isn't Texas a state where you can use force, including deadly force to protect yourself from LEO if you haven't done anything wrong? I don't know the details or the scope of the law but it makes it even more significant to me that they didn't charge him with anything he did before the encounter.
    NO but there is an interesting exception:

TX Penal Code Sec. 9.31. SELF-DEFENSE.

(b) The use of force against another is not justified:

(2) to resist an arrest or search that the actor knows is being made by a peace officer, or by a person acting in a peace officer's presence and at his direction, even though the arrest or search is unlawful, unless the resistance is justified under Subsection (c);
    (c) The use of force to resist an arrest or search is justified:
    (1) if, before the actor offers any resistance, the peace officer (or person acting at his direction) uses or attempts to use greater force than necessary to make the arrest or search; and
    (2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the peace officer's (or other person's) use or attempted use of greater force than necessary.
    IANAL

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: BREAKING: Master Sergeant Christopher Grisham found guilty in right to carry tria

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    NO but there is an interesting exception:

good luck with that in court, even if you were in the right.
    Sorry, the law is not ever going to be on the side of someone who "defends" themselves against the police, justified or not

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by libra8 View Post
    Since when do "police duties" include violating your rights? This is total BS.

Here is the event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l197TIL9E8

"reporter" speaking of the disarmament...
    "Could'a been a typical bad apple which make up 95% of the police force."

OK, so I guess this is another "I hate cops" bullshit "news" source?

I was right there with him until he said that dumb shit.

ETA: That isn't to say that I'm siding with the arresting officers.
    Last edited by Emptymag; November 21st, 2013 at 02:21 AM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    "reporter" speaking of the disarmament...
    "Could'a been a typical bad apple which make up 95% of the police force."

OK, so I guess this is another "I hate cops" bullshit "news" source?

I was right there with him until he said that dumb shit.

ETA: That isn't to say that I'm siding with the arresting officers.
    I felt that way too. As for the guy who got arrested I don't see any resisting, sure he argued his point but physically he didn't put up a fight. How did he get convicted? And in Texas no less. That cop saying he felt threatened was total B.S. just to establish his arrest. That one is a bad apple.

(Wayne County)

As Sgt. Schultz would say show us your papers and do as we say, do no resist because it vill cost you thousands of dollars to keep your rights. On a serious note, Pa. is set up the same way is it not? Sucks to be Master Sgt.

Hokkmike Guest

Resisting arrest or in this case "interfering" can be equated with "contempt of cop". In other words, they (the police) are pissed and this is a way to get even.

The officers should be disciplined and the case dismissed. If I lived nearby I would pack the courtroom.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by vapochilled View Post
    good luck with that in court, even if you were in the right.
    Sorry, the law is not ever going to be on the side of someone who "defends" themselves against the police, justified or not
    I understand your incredulity, nonetheless we do see precedent in TX case law where the resisting arrest force statute can be raised and applied by the jury:

Rodriquez v. State, 544 SW 2d 382 - Tex: Court of Criminal Appeals 1976
    IANAL

(Bucks County)

In a Bucks County, Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court proceedings the judge, Judge Isaac "Zeke" Garb, ruled in a resisting arrest case that a citizen has the right to resist if he is being arrested for something he did not commit.

I don't recall much else. or the degree or manner of resistance. But it happened, back in the 70s or 80s.

He's was clearly being stopped by the fashion police for wearing that ridiculous head gear, which is a crime in itself. Guilty as charged.

(Jefferson County)

Friggin power hungry dumbass LEO's, Think they know the law. I am a retired MP and yes I did slap down many a dumbass pvt who thought he/she knew the law. Had "Discussions" with civ Leo's too. It is unfortunate that LEO Sgt's and/or Officers are afraid to properly train or take to task their fellow/junior officers. And even more damning are the prosecutors who look for "easy, high profile" arrests to further a political career/agenda.
    An Armed society is a polite society.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast