Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Pittsburgh City Council To Propose Stolen Gun Law

http://kdka.com/local/stolen.gun.rep....2.840078.html

City Council To Propose Stolen Gun Law
    Reporting
    Bob Allen PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― Members of Pittsburgh City Council are proposing new legislation that would require gun owners to report lost or stolen guns within 24 hours or face a fine.

It is a move aimed at reducing crime due to on-going gun violence.

It's a bill that targets illegal handguns used to commit crimes.

"We are going to give people now the opportunity to report their lost and stolen guns and we are going to be able to help our law enforcement officials with this new tool, to be able to find those people who are actually selling their guns illegally," said Councilman Bill Peduto.

"The gun that was used to murder my baby was on the street for six years," said Mary Beth Hacke. "Six years after he was murdered, we found out that that gun was used in two other homicides. Three people lost their lives because that gun was never reported lost or stolen."

Hacke lost her 14-month-old son Ryan in 1997, when he was caught in the cross fire of a drug-related shooting in Homestead.

"Each day we pick up a newspaper, we turn on t.v. and there is another shooting," said Hacke.

Officials say many of those shootings were committed by criminals with stolen handguns.

In some cases, straw purchasers buy guns from licensed dealers and sell them to convicted felons or violent young people.

Similar bills were passed in Allentown and Philadelphia.

"Our argument, as was the argument in Philadelphia and Allentown, is that we are not trying to regulate the legal use of handguns, but rather the illegal use of handguns," said Councilman Bruce Krause. "And once a handgun is separated from its owner, it becomes an illegal weapon."

"Any law-abiding person with any kind of common sense is immediately going to let the police know that their handgun is in play. That it is lost," said Peduto.

If passed, anyone who violates the law could face a $1,000 fine or 90 days in jail.

"The goal of the straw purchasers is to keep a clean criminal record so they can keep buying," said Dana Finder of Cease Fire PA. "So, I think it is a wonderful deterrent to stop this practice."

The bill will be introduced in city council and be subjected to several public hearings.

Council members say they want to hear from other crime victims.

They are also hoping that municipalities across the state will pass similar legislation in an attempt to get state lawmakers to deal with the issue.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Pittsburgh City Council To Propose Stolen Gun Law

"The gun that was used to murder my baby was on the street for six years," said Mary Beth Hacke. "Six years after he was murdered, we found out that that gun was used in two other homicides. Three people lost their lives because that gun was never reported lost or stolen."
    how would have repoting it stopped anything?

so, when is the rally at city council and what action are we taking. I will be writing a few letters about how my family plans to buy a home next year and how this just made it into the "con" column for staying in the city.

flight from the city to the suburbs
    declining tax base
    increased crime
    decreased services

gee, I wonder why???

(Westmoreland County)

I can't start to imagine what the mother is going through emotionally... but simply reporting a gun as stolen would not have stopped this senseless tragedy.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    how would have repoting it stopped anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    but simply reporting a gun as stolen would not have stopped this senseless tragedy.
    Somebody "planted" that "feel good" measure in her head.

(Allegheny County)

Moderator dupicate subject on this one might want to merge the two thread together.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/general-2...-handguns.html

(Montgomery County)

The law is great in theory, but any criminal can circumvent the law. Any criminal can easily say they didn't know their gun was missing. Us law abiding citizens will report it to the police because we want our guns back and catch the slimeballs who robbed us. I know if my fathers S&W he left me was stolen, I would be calling my local PD as well as PA state PD. These politicians need to look at Florida.

They have an online database of reported stolen firearms. Here's the link http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/pashome.a. Obviuosly, people are reporting to the PD when their gun is stolen. A national one is needed ASAP. Too bad NCIC can't be accessed by non-law enforcement members. It would make our lives so much easier.

I read online the other day where a guy in the midwest had his gun stolen in '92 and it was recovered recently. The gun was sold couple of times before it was found. The sellers and buyers weren't able to check the serial numbers before it was sold/bought. If it had, the guy could have had his gun recovered much quicker instead of waiting 16 years. I'm excited about this website I heard about online that is a national database http://www.firearmsfax.com/firearmsfax/public/index .

These politicians should focus on more improtant things such as hello, our economy. How come they aren't getting layed off like the rest of the US. I'm hearing cities accross the US are laying off their employees, but not the politicians.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed in PA View Post
    Bob Allen PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― Members of Pittsburgh City Council are proposing new legislation that would require gun owners to report lost or stolen guns within 24 hours or face a fine.
    So this is City Council trying to pass gun legislation? Has Philly not been trying this for years and losing countless law suits ruling their laws unconstitutional in PA supreme court. One would think we here on the more sensible side of the state would know better.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Anderson View Post
    So this is City Council trying to pass gun legislation? Has Philly not been trying this for years and losing countless law suits ruling their laws unconstitutional in PA supreme court. One would think we here on the more sensible side of the state would know better.
    In my experience, very few people in government are sensible.